DC Comics Historian

Default My major personal Rebirth theory is on the cusp of being proven (THE BUTTON)

Months and months ago when Rebirth started theories were spewing at cheaper than a dime a dozen. Some of them like Gotham and Gotham Girl being Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre were proven very wrong. Others like where the JSA is and if Jay was lost in the Speed Force have been proven. But my one major theory that I came up with is not only still out there and plausible, but it is actually right on the very cusp of being proven. This theory is in reference to the upcoming Batman/Flash crossover "The Button".

Here is a little refresher in regards to that upcoming story in April.

If you’ve been wondering about how the mystery behind Geoff Johns’ DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1 continues, you’ll find out more beginning this April in “The Button,” a four part story arc in issues #21 and #22 of BATMAN and THE FLASH.

Courtesy of the Batman team of writer Tom King and artist Jason Fabok, along with The Flash writer Joshua Williamson and artist Howard Porter, the two greatest detectives in the DC Universe unite to unravel the mystery behind a certain blood stained smiley face button stuck in the Batcave wall. However, what begins as a simple investigation soon turns deadly when the secrets of the button prove irresistible to an unwelcome third party – and it’s not who anyone suspects.

And now in looking in the most recent story on Newsarama in reference to "The Button" in which the batcave is taken over as well as Jay Garrick returning it lends even more credibility to my theory. I CANT WAIT to read these books. It is such a great time to be a comic book fan.

So this third party is where my theory lies. I believe that the New 52's Question is this third party. In the New 52 is was explained that this new Question is cursed. He cannot remember who he is and he is hellbent on trying to figure out his identity. I believe that in true Charlton Comics fashion that like Mr. Oz is seemingly Ozymandias that The Question is Rorschach and he is the unwanted third party that is obsessed with the button as he knows it is a key component to figuring out who he is. I really, really, REALLY hope I am right when it comes to this. It would almost lend a little bit more insight to the Trinity of Sin as well.

What do you guys think?

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

I thought the third party was Eobard Thawne? He's on one of the covers

thawne.jpg

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    I thought the third party was Eobard Thawne? He's on one of the covers

thawne.jpg
    I saw that too but I don't really see that being very surprising you know? There is also another cover with Jay on it now too so I guess you could argue it could be him too. But check out this link:

http://www.newsarama.com/33311-watch...batman-21.html

I think that says it all. It's Rorschach, and I think Rorschach is in disguise under the curse of The Question.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I saw that too but I don't really see that being very surprising you know? There is also another cover with Jay on it now too so I guess you could argue it could be him too. But check out this link:

http://www.newsarama.com/33311-watch...batman-21.html

I think that says it all. It's Rorschach, and I think Rorschach is in disguise under the curse of The Question.
    I hope you're right. I'd love to see Rorschach take on Batman!

I think Thawne being on the cover makes it unlikely he's the 3rd party, it would be too obvious... Rorschach makes sense, though I wouldn't rule out it being the Comedian.

Astonishing Member

There is WEIRD poetry to the notion that cosmic timeline jive happened and that it was a Fawcett Comics character - The Wizard - who cursed Rorschach into becoming an inferior version of a Charlton Comics character, The Question.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    I hope you're right. I'd love to see Rorschach take on Batman!
    I second this. Much more interesting than Thawne. (God, I am so tired of 'evil speedster' stories. Wish someone would put a moratorium on them....and Evil!Superman ones as well.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    There is WEIRD poetry to the notion that cosmic timeline jive happened and that it was a Fawcett Comics character - The Wizard - who cursed Rorschach into becoming an inferior version of a Charlton Comics character, The Question.
    Here's something that you might or might not know that adds some more poetry to it: actor Jackie Earl Haley, who played Rorschach in the WATCHMEN movie, also played a juvenile delinquent during the 1970s in an episode of the live-action SHAZAM TV series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Here's something that you might or might not know that adds some more poetry to it: actor Jackie Earl Haley, who played Rorschach in the WATCHMEN movie, also played a juvenile delinquent during the 1970s in an episode of the live-action SHAZAM TV series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Come to think of it, Billy Batson has been MIA for a while now. Do you think that this is intentional?

BANNED

Will Mr. Oz be revealed to be Ozymandias?

DC Comics Historian

It is either a massive red herring or 100% true. I am going to prod Scott Snyder this weekend at Emerald City Comic Con.

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    Will Mr. Oz be revealed to be Ozymandias?
    I think that we'll learn Mr. Oz's identity in Superman Reborn.
    I'm convinced that most people, who hate on a comic, never read said comic.