Default What Are the Best "Classic" X-Men Runs?

So, way back when the Internet was still young and dinosaurs roamed the face of the Earth, the X-Men used to be a single team that Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Gray, and a few others were the main people on. If I recall correctly, these titles were even considered kind of edgy and almost R-Rated. Sex, drugs, and violence. A lot of fighting over women and blood on the floor in battles. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, I didn't really follow comics as a kid, but that seemed to be what I was hearing from my friends in the 90s.

What titles and issue numbers sort of fit that description, if I wanted to go back and read a bunch of issues that had the trio above (And I guess the other 2-3 people who were usually in the group with them- when it wasn't like 100 people) still together in the group doing edgy things? Bonus points if they are available on Comixology.

Also, good jumping on point to consider if I wanted to get into a modern title? X-Men Blue #1? No Wolverine and they're time travelers of sorts and so on and so forth, but that seems to be at least an attempt to get back to basics on the surface of things.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-24-2017 at 04:27 PM.

BANNED

I dunno what you heard or whoever told you that sex and drugs were involved in the original Uncanny X Men comic book.

Drugs were involved in the old Green Arrow comic book back in the day. Maybe thats what you heard

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    I dunno what you heard or whoever told you that sex and drugs were involved in the original Uncanny X Men comic book.

Drugs were involved in the old Green Arrow comic book back in the day. Maybe thats what you heard
    Well, like I said, I've never really closely followed X-Men comics. I just always remember they were considered "cool" when I was growing up (I remember reading one or two- like literally one or two of them, back in the day, but that was it). I thought now well into adulthood, it might be worth going back and seeing if I'd like them- especially since back issues are probably half price on comixology. I've seen some of the movies, but not recently. I thought about just jumping into the comics now, but the continuity surrounding them seems to be a mess- it wouldn't really be very close to what everyone used to rave about 20-25 years ago. Maybe X-Men Blue would be somewhat close, minus Wolverine, although it doesn't seem that edgy (At least it seems to have some classic characters and be a fresh start to a degree). Were the X-Men comics ever edgy? I could have a ton of misconceptions.

I have a vague recollection of Scott Summers waking up in bed with Jean Gray. Could that have been a movie? A cartoon? Some random thing from my imagination?

I'm admittedly much more of a DC Comics guy, but I liked the recent Marvel runs of Squadron Supreme and Howard the Duck. Rebirth hadn't taken the DC Comics line in the direction I'd prefer, and I jumped onto those comics (Squadron Supreme for obvious reasons as a DC Comics fan) to fill the gap, but both of those comics ended (Literally, cancelled), and I was thinking about what else I might like. I got back into some of the DC Comics Superman stuff (Though I really don't like the Rebirth Superman or his son. I was a new52 Superman guy, still am), but there's room to try some X-Men stuff or some other Marvel title(s).

Maybe X-Men was really misrepresented to me when I was younger or I am misremembering what I read. Honestly, I thought there was a point where it was supposed to be kind of adult type material- not like MA, but a bit moreso than the average comic. Usually don't like superheroes who aren't at least of voting age anyway, but I thought it was worth checking with X-Men fans and seeing what they thought. Maybe there was a time period where they're all in their 20s living in the same apartment complex as young adults? I don't know. I'm not even sure the exact question I'm asking. I just figured a bunch of X-Men fanatics could point me toward material I might want to consider getting that sounds something like some of what I am typing. I realize I'm not going to get the details exactly on target.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-24-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    So, way back when the Internet was still young and dinosaurs roamed the face of the Earth, the X-Men used to be a single team that Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Gray, and a few others were the main people on. If I recall correctly, these titles were even considered kind of edgy and almost R-Rated. Sex, drugs, and violence. A lot of fighting over women and blood on the floor in battles. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, I didn't really follow comics as a kid, but that seemed to be what I was hearing from my friends in the 90s.

What titles and issue numbers sort of fit that description, if I wanted to go back and read a bunch of issues that had the trio above (And I guess the other 2-3 people who were usually in the group with them- when it wasn't like 100 people) still together in the group doing edgy things? Bonus points if they are available on Comixology.

Also, good jumping on point to consider if I wanted to get into a modern title? X-Men Blue #1? No Wolverine and they're time travelers of sorts and so on and so forth, but that seems to be at least an attempt to get back to basics on the surface of things.
    For the edgy, blood, sex and violence...

Well, the X-Men were edgy because of representing "a minority" group back in the day (mutants)...

Wolverine stabbed a lot of people, so there was blood.

Sex is sometimes implied, but never shown.

So... you may be thinking of an IMAGE title like... Bloodstrike... Brigade... something along those lines from the 90s... Image was full of books like that. Especially under Rob Liefeld's "Extreme Studios" wing...

As for a good jumping on point, I came into UXM with issue #121 way back in the day. Was in the middle of the story, and not confusing.

But these days, without digging deep into back issues, there's no real "good spot" to jump on sadly.

The X-Men continuity is such a horrid nightmare right now.

But if I were to recommend arcs to read... even through reprints:

Giant Size X-Men #1 (explains the whole new team)
    Uncanny X-Men #94 through #175.
    That's my favorite era (especially #153-168).

You can progress past 175, but so many characters start popping into the books, it tends to get a little confusing.

There's also Jim Lee's / Chris Claremont's X-Men run (first 20 issues or so are really great).

Everything after that, gets shaky. Bunn's current Uncanny X-Men is great, but can be a bit too much for someone new to the X-Men world (to understand all the crap happening in the Marvel Universe with the Inhumans - a horrid story line, but not Bunn's fault that he's forced to work it into the Uncanny X-Men book).
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Incredible Member

Well for an starter pack I could recommend you:

New X-men #114-#154 by Grant Morrison

Astonishing X-men #1-#24 by Joss Whedon

These are good modern takes on the X-men franchise and are very praised runs.

But is Chris Claremont 17 years run on the X-men that is considered the bible of the franchise so if you don't mind old comics I would recommend you to google for a Chris Claremont reading order, that is where you are going to find classic stories such as Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past and many more.

And also, I think in this site there was a list of best X-men runs somewhere. Check it out.

I think you're thinking Ultimate X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I would have thought the same; but they mentioned hearing about it from their friend in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I would have thought the same; but they mentioned hearing about it from their friend in the 90's.
    Well, some people still think the '90s were like 10 years ago, when it's closer to 20...

Well, some people still think the '90s were like 10 years ago, when it's closer to 20...
    I'm one of those people. I hate that my "Heavy Metal" of the 80's has become "Classic Rock" these days.

I was going to say this, it may not be 616 but this is literally everything the OP is asking for.

@OP read Ultimate X-Men starting with Mark Millar (first 6 arcs are by him) all the way through Brian K Vaughn's run. If you like it keep going. I love the whole run that leads up to Ultimatum but a lot of readers aren't fans of the writers that came after BKV.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

You might want to check out the original Blue and Gold Uncanny/X-men era.

X-Men-Blue-team.jpg

X-Men-Gold-team.jpg
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 02-25-2017 at 01:59 AM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I think that people who refered to X-Men as 'adult comics' did not mean 'sex, blood & drugs', but sorta 'adult' subjects in a political/ethical/sociological sense.

However, there is certainly a lot of blood in X-books --implicitly or explicitly, depending on the date.

Since Claremont, there is quite implicit sex, too: pairings (married or not) who wake up together and half-naked or who allude to it (Scott & Madelyne, Scott & Jean, Logan & Yukio, Ororo & Forge, Longshot & Dazzler, Alex & Madelyne...). Villains too. Plus, Claremont has always shown a certain SM fetishism, but that's another story.

Regarding to drugs, there are just some casual mentions. As a plot, I only recall two fictional drugs: 'Kick' (Morrison's New X-Men) and 'Banshee' (in late Ultimate X-Men). There is too an issue in early Claremont & Byrne run in which Storm meets some junkie squatters --a bit of social criticism.

I myself think that maybe the best 'adult' run of 'classic' Uncanny X-Men is the one by Claremont & Romita Jr. (ca. 1983-1986).

Thanks!

Sounds like Ultimate X-Men is the way to go if I want an edgier more adult versiom of the most iconic team slightly aged, but out of continuity. And then New X-Men in the Grant Morrision era is a iconic team written by an iconic writer that's in-continuity (I remember Morrrison from the Action Comics [2011-2016 run beginning with a new #1], where he wrote the New52 Superman's early years in Metropolis]), but maybe isn't as edgy and with younger characters.

That sound about right?

Both are probably a decade after what people I knew told me about, but it sounds like they told me incorrect information. I'm more interested in finding a comic I like than what some kid told me I'd like in 1993 or something. So, both the comics above seem like good places to start in their own ways.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    That sound about right?
    Yep, I think that's what you're looking for. IMHO, though, Morrison is edgier than Ultimate.