Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Willie covering Hank Williams. For a long time I thought that Nelson wrote this song

Invincible Member

It's funny that you don't hear a lot of people talking about John Denver much these days cuz Denver was HUGE at one point during the 70's. My mom used to like this song.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Willie covering Hank Williams. For a long time I thought that Nelson wrote this song
    Actually, Hank was covering it too, with his 1952 version. The song was written by Fred Rose (one of Nashville's most successful songwriters), and the first recording of it was released in 1945 by Roy Acuff. (Fred Rose and Roy Acuff were partners in a music publishing company that had the rights to just about everything in Country Music, back in the day.) But I agree with you that the 1975 Willie Nelson version is definitive.

Astonishing Member

Actually, while I'm posting - it just occurred to me that we are at message #19 and no one has yet posted a drinking song! For a Country Music thread that omission simply will not do, so here's Merle to sing one for us: "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down".

Incredible Member

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Astonishing Member

Let's add a trio of cowboy songs. Marty Robbins had one of the biggest hits in the genre: "Big Iron"

Astonishing Member

Although "Ghost Riders in the Sky" has been a standard ever since it was written in 1938, my favorite version of all might be Johnny Cash's:

Astonishing Member

And finally we have the iconic cowboy song of all time, sung by the best-ever singing cowboys: Roy Rogers and the other Sons of the Pioneers performing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds":

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    And finally we have the iconic cowboy song of all time, sung by the best-ever singing cowboys: Roy Rogers and the other Sons of the Pioneers performing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds":
    Ah naw, thems fightin' words.

Astonishing Member

Let's agree to table any argument over the greatest Singing Cowboys by listening to a great Singing Cowgirl instead! Here's Patsy Montana, from 1938.

Astonishing Member

Let's follow that previous video with another female vocalist and songwriter: the former cosmetologist Wynette Pugh, turned Country superstar Tammy Wynette

BANNED

BANNED

This one would work really well as a gay pride anthem, if such things existed in country & western music:

BANNED

Of course, this is his song that became a huge hit for another artist with a slightly changed lyric and title:

BANNED

From the album "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music"