Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    From the album "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music"

My mom used to have this record

Ultimate Member

Pioneers of country music by Robert Crumb

BANNED

From the album "Just a lil bit country". A song written by Kris Kristofferson and Millie herself.

She later joked about how badly the album did and hated on the people who talked her into doing country, and posing for the cover. "You just know it had to be a WHITE horse!"

But I love this song! Yee haw!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Pioneers of country music by Robert Crumb

Let's have something from the group in the lower right-hand corner. Here is the First Family of Country Music, from 1927

Astonishing Member

And when the next generation of Carters grew up, they continued singing the same old tunes, alongside the surviving members of the previous generation. Tradition!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    And a "classic" thread really shouldn't kick off without something from these 3 gentlemen: Merle Haggard

The Hag has been my favorite country singer for over 42 years now and Mama Tried is my favorite song of his to sing at karaoke bars, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

They actually turned this song into an NBC sitcom back in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They actually turned this song into an NBC sitcom back in the 80's

While she had a few more hits than this monster one, I have always been surprised her career wasn't more fruitful. Her voice was fine and distinctive, while she was as sexy as any other country singer then or now.

Ultimate Member

I used to have the album where The Highwaymen ( Cash, Nelson, Jennings, Kristofferson ) did this song but I like the Joe Ely version better

Astonishing Member

In video #34, we had the original Carter family (18-year-old Maybelle Carter, her cousin Sara, and Sara's husband A.P. Carter, who was also Maybelle's husband's brother, which is why they were both named "Carter"). Then in video #35 we had the next generation: "Mother Maybelle" and her three daughters, Helen, June, and Anita Carter. You may not know that in the early 1960s June Carter co-wrote "Ring of Fire" (video #7) with Merle Kilgore, and the first recording of the song was in fact made by Anita Carter. The song was about June's turbulent romance with Johnny Cash (who had a monster hit with it), whom she married some years later. Here are Johnny and June together (after they married), singing "Jackson".

BANNED

Nice version with guests:

Astonishing Member

Oh heck, let's move on to the current generation of the Carter Family. June Carter's first husband was Carl Smith, one of the most successful Country singers during the 1950s, and their daughter, Rebecca Carlene Smith, has gone on to hit the charts herself as "Carlene Carter":

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    In video #34, we had the original Carter family (18-year-old Maybelle Carter, her cousin Sara, and Sara's husband A.P. Carter, who was also Maybelle's husband's brother, which is why they were both named "Carter"). Then in video #35 we had the next generation: "Mother Maybelle" and her three daughters, Helen, June, and Anita Carter. You may not know that in the early 1960s June Carter co-wrote "Ring of Fire" (video #7) with Merle Kilgore, and the first recording of the song was in fact made by Anita Carter. The song was about June's turbulent romance with Johnny Cash (who had a monster hit with it), whom she married some years later. Here are Johnny and June together (after they married), singing "Jackson".

Johnny Cash was the first country singer I can recall, having seen a bit of his old show around '70.

Astonishing Member

"If we all could sound like we wanted to, we'd all sound like George Jones." - Waylon Jennings

BANNED

How funny, I played the old vinyl album with this cover version of that song less than 2 hours ago (home sick and playing old music):