Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    I feel that Bendis' run was derailed by Secret Wars as those last few issues felt crammed with several issues worth of stories.
    Him (being forced to?) leaving is what derailed his run. You can find old tumblr posts of Anka saying that the Testament arc was going to be five issues long. And interviews with Bendis discussing how Matthew Malloy's recruitment will impact Cyclops' decisions. But then he had to end it so he spun his wheels for many months, rebooted the whole arc and then did a bunch of one-shots.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Exactly. The fact that editorial allowed him to do half the things he did still boggles my mind. His X-Men run certainly was progressive... but progress in the wrong direction is bad.
    Morrison’s run was amazing. In fact writers and editors kept and played with his concepts. Year after after.

He expanded on Weapon X, Sentinals, played with the downside of mutant abilities and transformation, created an amazing drama and tension between Scott, Jean and Emma, played with all the tropes, the Magneto reveal, made Jean awesome, used mutant powers in interesting and new ways, Psychic Surgery, wrote the best Beast ever,

Do I need to go on?

THE NEW X-MEN SQUAD 924COLLECTIVE's Avatar

The current crop is coming in hot.
    924COLLECTIVE IS GETTING THE NEW X-MEN SQUAD BACK TOGETHER: ANOLE, DUST, ELIXIR, GENTLE, HELLION, PIXIE, PRODIGY, SURGE, THE STEPFORD CUCKOOS , & X-23.

Warren Ellis

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Chuck Austen's run was fun though. It felt like he just to see how far he could push the risky **** before someone fired him.

Bendis' run was pleased with good artists thankfully. The Return of the O5 idea was nice up till the 2nd fight with Future Brotherhood. Last Will of Xavier was supposed to be an Original Sin tie-in and he dragged the hell out of it. I remember picking up UXM while Avengers was moving into Time Runs Out and Last Will was still going on.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Morrison’s run was amazing. In fact writers and editors kept and played with his concepts. Year after after.

He expanded on Weapon X, Sentinals, played with the downside of mutant abilities and transformation, created an amazing drama and tension between Scott, Jean and Emma, played with all the tropes, the Magneto reveal, made Jean awesome, used mutant powers in interesting and new ways, Psychic Surgery, wrote the best Beast ever,

Do I need to go on?
    While you see it as amazing many see it as Morrison just doing his version of the X-Men greatest hits, and not doing it that well. Sentiniel story? Check. Evil Magneto? Check. Phoenix rehash? Check. He checked every box. His Magneto story and Phoenix rehash story were garbage. What he did to Beast turning him into tony the tiger was just moronic and began the long slide that has destroyed Hank McCoy as a character. Killing Jean again was probably the biggest mistake in the x-books in the last 20 years, and he only did it so he could show "his" version of the Phoenix Saga was just as important as the original even though it was not even close. Him killing of Magneto was undone almost right away because everyone in the x-offices realized it was a massive mistake to kill him in such a bad story. Lets not even talk about the truly retched secondary mutations idea he came up with is still being used to screw up characters even today.

All in all his run was enteratining, but it was not all that original.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Morrison also laid down a dystopian future story while he was at it.

He gave us the Cassandra Nova and the KICK stories though.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I dont know that anything or anyone will top Chuck Austen's run for worst. There have been some not so great runs for sure...but when it comes to bad decisions (and why and how it got past editorial I will never understand) Austen's run is top of the stink heap for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Do I need to go on?
    He outed Xavier and the school, murdered Jean, murdered Jean and Scott's marriage, gave us Emma/Scott, turned Beast into a cat, tried to create a mutant culture without ever actually showing what that culture really was, gave us Fantomex, gave us a host of sight gag background mutant kids whose existence allowed busloads of them to be murdered, pushed the mutant population into the tens of millions which pushed Quesada to make M Day/Decimation happen...
    And the downside of mutant powers has been explored for decades before Morrison came along. Have you met Nightcrawler or many of the Morlocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelchairX View Post
    I feel that Bendis' run was derailed by Secret Wars as those last few issues felt crammed with several issues worth of stories.
    Good. Bendis and his decompression are ridiculous. Don't stretch a story over a 6 issue arc that can be done as a 2-parter. More stories and concepts, less filler dialogue that sounds the same.
    Last edited by nx01a; 04-16-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    He outed Xavier and the school, murdered Jean, murdered Jean and Scott's marriage, gave us Emma/Scott, turned Beast into a cat, tried to create a mutant culture without ever actually showing what that culture really was, gave us Fantomex, gave us a host of sight gag background mutant kids whose existence allowed busloads of them to be murdered, pushed the mutant population into the tens of millions which pushed Quesada to make M Day/Decimation happen...
    This bit here was always going to happen as soon as Quesada became EiC, even if Morrison had never gotten into comics at all. And it was just under ten million, or less than 0.2% of the population. Okay, it was 20-ish million but he killed over half of them in the second issue.

How many Mutants were there globally before Morrison though? Does anybody here have a number for that? I'm honestly curious.

FAR less than 20 million.
    Mutants used to be rare and special... despite so many Marvel characters being mutants Because X-Men.
    Yeah, Quesada had it in for the X-Men and mutants no matter what, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'