Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

... And Marvel cries all the way to the bank. The King lets his lessers enjoy a few gold plated scraps. Without Batman you're nothing. And Moonlight laughs at you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Suicide Squad just won an Oscar for makeup and hair.

So i decided to look at comic book Oscar wins and DC has more than Marvel.

DC

SSquad. -1
    Dark Knight -2
    Batman -1
    Superman -1

Marvel

Big Hero 6 -1
    SM2 -1

Not counting MiB. And BH6 probably shouldnt count cause it was a completely different film.

PS- way more nominations, too.
    You should have posted this on the DC board.

Or better still Bleeding Cool. That's the most anti-Marvel anything forum in the world probably.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    absolutely ridiculous that Star Trek didn't beat SS on makeup.
    I loved Beyond, in my opinion it was the best 'normie' film of the year, but the none of the aliens looked all to memorable.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I liked Big Hero 6, but I still salty The Lego Movie didn't get nominated back in 2015. The Academy's reasoning was that stop-motion didn't qualify as animation, like Big Hero 6, How To Train Your Dragon 2, Song of the Sea and the Tale Of Princess Kaguya. The latter two I doubt the Academy members watched and instead voted for a name they were familiar with (Disney).
    BB

Yeah, even with the new, higher budget films, the Star Trek aliens still seem a bit generic and humanoid. They're really not that much more advanced than what we'd see in Deep Space Nine or Voyager....although of course the characters in the film were actually intended to be mutated humans, so it kind of fits.

Although Suicide Squad was mainly face paint/tatoos apart from Killer Croc...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I like the ballot that referred to Song of the Sea as a 'f***** Chinese cartoon.'
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-27-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It should also be mentioned that Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice won four 2017 Razzies in the following categories:

--Worst Supporting Actor (Jesse Eisenberg)
    --Worst Screen Combo (Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill)
    --Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
    --Worst Screenplay

If it wasn't for Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party which won Worst Picture and Worst Director, BvS would've captured even more "honors". Well played, DC/Warner Brothers! Well played!
    Rather, if TPTB at Razzies hadn't nominated Ghostbusters 2016 and then removed it from the voting categories, we know which film would've swept the Razzies. If all it takes is $40 dollars to cast a vote for worst, then it's all to easy to dog-pile on a film. I suspect TPTB pulled GB from the voting choices to avoid Buzzfeed and other media outlets from castigating them for attacking a film with women. Just like they did when the movie was in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I maintain Batman v Superman only got nominated because of the general opinion of the movie. It's not a fantastic movie, but it had so much expectation to live up to as well as critics just waiting to savage it if it wasn't perfect. Ben Affleck, who was considered one of the best things about the movie, was nominated in Worst Actor. There were other nominees much more deserving of the Razzie, but because BvS was more in the public consciousness it was easier to pick on.
    I agree. BvS was targeted because of it's profile in the public conscious. While GB was excluded to avoid negative press.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-27-2017 at 09:40 AM.

I really don't care or pay attention to any of the award shows anymore...but I can't so I won't take a little bit of joy over all the people freaking out over a DC movie winning one, even if for just makeup. I'm of the opinion that Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman were both messy but ultimately pretty okay movies, far from the burning dumpster fires that the internet in general regards them as. I think the Marvel movies are pretty comparable too, generally entertaining but more or less just more formulaic action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    ... And Marvel cries all the way to the bank. The King lets his lessers enjoy a few gold plated scraps. Without Batman you're nothing. And Moonlight laughs at you.
    DC only put out two movies in 2016. But they made a combined total of $1.62 billion dollars. Not exactly a few scraps of gold plate.
    And it's not like Marvel based movies are overwhelming money makers in comparison. There were four in 2016 for a combined total of $3.16 billion.
    So DC movies made an average of $0.81 billion per movie verses the average of $0.78 billion per movie for Marvel based movies in 2016.
    And remind me how much money Moonlight made, seeing as we are judging quality by box-office dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Rather, if TPTB at Razzies hadn't nominated Ghostbusters 2016 and then removed it from the voting categories, we know which film would've swept the swept Razzies. If all it takes is $40 dollars to cast a vote for worst, then it's all to easy to dog-pile on a film. I suspect TPTB pulled GB from the voting choices to avoid Buzzfeed and other media outlets from castigating them for attacking a film with women. Just like they did when the movie was in theaters.
    I was wondering why Ghostbusters didn't get any nominations because lots of people said it was terrible. So it was just politics rather that an actual judgement on quality. So perhaps BvS gets an asterisk.

Astonishing Member

I did LOL when Suicide Squad won. They can now say it's an "Oscar Winning" movie in promotional materials. Plus Viola also winning her Supporting Actress Oscar as well. Think it's the first comic book movie to actually win an award on the live show portion?

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I did LOL when Suicide Squad won. They can now say it's an "Oscar Winning" movie in promotional materials. Plus Viola also winning her Supporting Actress Oscar as well. Think it's the first comic book movie to actually win an award on the live show portion?
    Heath Ledger won the Oscar for best supporting male actor. I remember watching it on the television. Also big Hero 6 won best animated film too, and I also remember watching that.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-27-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Heath Ledger won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Joker in The Dark Knight.

Astonishing Member

That's right, I forgot about that! I guess I almost consider that another era altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I was wondering why Ghostbusters didn't get any nominations because lots of people said it was terrible. So it was just politics rather that an actual judgement on quality. So perhaps BvS gets an asterisk.
    Lots of people? Try a select few vocal neckbeards who couldn't stand the fact that the film starred four women, ruining their childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Lots of people? Try a select few vocal neckbeards who couldn't stand the fact that the film starred four women, ruining their childhood.
    Oh boy, here we go again...