Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    You do realize that certain nebula are basically galactic nurseries? We can "see" where and how stars are formed. I don't want to get too far off topic, but here are the basics of the current theory of how stars form.

Attachment 46087
    Thanks KingsLeadHat. It's interesting, but I do wonder what a "phenomena" is when there was nothing but gas occupying the universe after the Big Bang.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    No. It was a news item and it only concentrated on back tracing DNA origins. I found it curious because the location was odd, and that for there to be so many people there must have been cities. I'll try to look it up.
    There were certainly no cities in this period. We would know. We are talking hand axes and hunter gatherers. No livestock, crude cave art.

It could be a good approximation of the very first Marvel pantheon though. But they didn't leave any evidence of ritual back then so it would have to be a purely oral tradition.

P.S. I should say no evidence of ritual outside of Africa. There is some evidence in Africa and much less crude rock art that may date back to 70000 years ago, but this is tentative.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-03-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There were certainly no cities in this period. We would know. We are talking hand axes and hunter gatherers. No livestock, crude cave art.

It could be a good approximation of the very first Marvel pantheon though. But they didn't leave any evidence of ritual back then so it would have to be a purely oral tradition.

P.S. I should say no evidence of ritual outside of Africa. There is some evidence in Africa and much less crude rock art that may date back to 70000 years ago, but this is tentative.
    I seem to remember seeing a History channel program, where they dug up religious "churches" from before 10,000 years ago and were astounded at the organisation to construct it, being, they needed hundreds, if not thousands, of men to do it, and for the date it completely contradicted the evidence of history. They were finding these obelisks in formation in a variety of locations, not in one area. The thing is, so much dirt covers areas now that only deep excavation is going to find evidence of cities that old, and if not, because the evidence has been eroded by glaciers or some such. There is just so much we aren't going to find of our culture in 10,000 years, so I am not surprised archeology can only work with what survives, which may be just trivial etchings or pottery. Ceramic seems to survive the test of time the best. Maybe we should base our building and tech on ceramics? I don't know what later civilizations will make of our ceramic electrical insulators when they find them.

BANNED

Erm, sorry but what's all this about 616 no longer having a sliding timeline and some pasts being in alternate universes?

BANNED

Sorry, but in my mind, if a character such as Kulan Gath shows up in a story, that means the Hyborian Age still exists in 616's distant past. I don't like the notion that all the Conan/Kull/Red Sonja stories now never happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I recall the 80's Deluxe Handbook stated that they are not native to Asgard but originated on Earth and then migrated there, perhaps in a way explaining their lack of true immortality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotJA View Post
    Has anyone here read AGES OF THUNDER? Is it canon to Earth-616?

BANNED

Thor #294 Apr 1980
    "New Asgards for Old!"
    Thor continues to question The Eye of Odin about the past.
    He is shown the nine remaining gods wandering around what's left of Asgard,
    until they come across some figurines of all the fallen gods and foes.
    Magni and Modi press on until they comes across Mjolnir, which they pick up when working together.
    They decide that weapons have no place in their new world,
    and hurl it down to Midgard, where it transforms into the Rhinegold.

Meanwhile, Vili, Ve, Vali and Vidar find Gungnir and all four grasp it.
    When all four are mystically merged into Odin, and the other five simply vanish, Odin then takes the figurines

and forms them into the Asgardians, Giants and Trolls we know.
    Odin then tells them of Ymir, Audumla, Aske and Embla.
    They then proceed to rebuild Asgard and Odin recreates Bifrost.
    Odin then desires a bloodson and goes to Midgard.
    On Earth, three mermaids guard the Rhinegold until it is stolen by someone who has renounced love, such as Alberich.

In Asgard, Fasolt and Fafnir are building Valhalla under the premise that they get Idunn.
    Her cries are heard by Thor and Frey, who begin attacking the Giants until stopped by Odin.

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Keith Pollard (breakdowns) and Chic Stone (finished art), inks by Chic Stone

So, in short, in the Marvel Universe... Gods did not create men. Gods are not Gods, they are just aliens. God is now just a superhero like many others. God is dead.

BANNED

Default Thor #354 Apr 1985

Tales of Midgard
    'Home of the amazing Human race"

On Earth, in Chicago,

Fandral goes to Don Blake's office to give Nurse Stevens and Mrs Barclay their severance pay

and to tell them and Shawna that SHIELD had need of Don and he may not be coming back.

The charms he gives them will cause them to forget Don Blake.

Script and art by Walter Simonson

This is an important moment in the history of Asgardians on Earth, for obvious reasons, but it's rarely mentioned.

BANNED

Which disgusts me to no end. The marvel character Donald Blake, a medical doctor, was to me an awesome character. I LOVED a warrior sharing his existence with a healer.

BANNED

Thor #295 May 1980
    "The Price - and the Pride!"
    The Eye of Odin continues the tale of the earlier history of Odin: Thor battles the Storm Giants
    Fafnir and Fasolt for possession of the goddess Idunn, sister of Frey. But Odin calls a halt, confessing
    that he did promise the fair goddess to them as payment for their building Valhalla for him.
    Odin asks Loki if he was able to discover a way out of this bargain; Loki describes how he sought the Rhinegold
    as a reasonable alternative for the giants but the gnome Alberich stole the gold and fashioned it into a magic ring.

Odin's first response is that he must have that ring but the giants, overhearing Loki's story, demand the ring in exchange for Idunn.
    Odin takes Thor and Loki to Midgard, to the mines of Nibelheim, land of the gnomes. There, Alberich, by the power of the ring and
    the Tarnhelm which can make him invisible, plays tyrant over his fellow gnomes. The evil gnome takes on the form of
    a dragon to battle the Asgardian trio and Thor fights him to a standstill. Loki tricks Alberich into turning into a toad...

and Odin threatens to squish him if he does not hand over the gold. He gladly does in exchange for his
    freedom—but Odin demands the ring as well. Alberich curses the ring and hands it over to the All-Father....

The trio return to Asgard and give the Rhinegold to the giants but they demand the ring as well. Odin, possessed by the power
    of the ring, refuses to hand it over. The Earth-goddess Erda appears and persuades Odin to give it up for his own well-being.

They trade the ring for Idunn and immediately the giant brothers fight over who shall possess the ring and Fafnir kills Fasolt,
    takes the ring and the gold and vanishes from their sight. At Odin's request Thor extends the Rainbow Bridge from Valhalla
    to Asgard and the All-Father and Frigga become the first inhabitants of the great hall. Odin plans to wipe the
    memory of that day's events from everyone's minds but Loki has a warning...and Thor has a warning for Loki....

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Keith Pollard (breakdowns) and Chic Stone (finished art), inks by Chic Stone

BANNED

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the future Storm Giants are to appear on Earth so that Earth's superheroes have some large dangerous foes to deal with.