38 35.19%
  • D---A real letdown

18 16.67%
  • F----Garbage; waste of time and money

21 19.44%
  • Did not read enough to vote

4 3.70%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I really wanted to enjoy the crap out of this, but I was a bit underwhelmed. As previously stated here, it takes something really special to get an A and for me, this reading didn't have it. I only gave the story a C this time, but I am looking forward to rereading it again. One of my issues with this was using the Clone Conspiracy mini versus just writing the whole thing in ASM. You obviously needed both to follow the story appropriately, and ASM could have just increased shipping during the event if need be, and because it is still Slott writing the majority of it all, it doesn't really matter that much anyhow, but at the same time, something tells me that if the whole story would have just been in ASM and not proclaimed to be such a big event, it would of been better.

Fantastic Member

It's amazing to me that a small throw away story around ASM has become so wrapped up in the series - mostly trying to polish or fix earlier stories.

Just seems the parts are better than the whole...

If they found a way to move forward without clones; I wouldn't complain ...

Part of it is, at least for me, is any story based on clones is going to start with an eye roll ... It could be the scribed word of God and I'd think "not this again..." Before cracking the spine
    Last edited by Vixx; 05-08-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Part of it is just that a story has to have something very special to get an "A" and this didn't go there (at least on this read). That's more of a lack of greatness than a specific shortcoming.

It's also a very busy story with a lot of subplots and characters. The nature of a story with temporary resurrections also leads to a heightened awareness and consideration about the meta aspects of the story (What is Slott trying to say? What status quo might the characters be left with later?) and there are a lot of characters who have to act in a particular way for the sake of plot (IE- everyone has to agree to serve the Jackal.)
    Okay. Got it.

Fantastic Member

I was torn between C and D. Started strong, but quickly fizzled away to more of the same we've seen. No lasting negative consequences, just a new status quo to spin more books out of. I voted C, but typing my reasoning, I realise I should have voted D. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    It's amazing to me that a small throw away story around ASM has become so wrapped up in the series - mostly trying to polish or fix earlier stories.

Just seems the parts are better than the whole...

If they found a way to move forward without clones; I wouldn't complain ...

Part of it is, at least for me, is any story based on clones is going to start with an eye roll ... It could be the scribed word of God and I'd think "not this again..." Before cracking the spine
    The Clone Saga was originally the storyline with Gwen's return, and a six page fight between Peter and his clone, so it is weird how it has developed an outsized influence on the series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Clone Saga was originally the storyline with Gwen's return, and a six page fight between Peter and his clone, so it is weird how it has developed an outsized influence on the series.
    Was the original one well-received? If so, maybe the Powers That Be thought it would be good story material for more, and then the fiasco of the '90s happened, leaving it as infamous as we know it now.

You're right about influence. Not counting short-what ifs, there's been like four Clone Saga stories since the original:

- The infamous '90s one

- The Clone Saga in Ultimate Spider-Man

- The Real Clone Saga miniseries (which attempted to follow the original outline for the '90s one)

- Clone Conspiracy

I could be wrong, but it seems like the Ultimate one was also one of the few, if not the only one, to get near-universal praise, while the others seem to have fans taking a dim view of them and/or mixed reviews and opinions. Which isn't exactly the greatest turnout, esp. given that the idea on paper sounds good.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Was the original one well-received? If so, maybe the Powers That Be thought it would be good story material for more, and then the fiasco of the '90s happened, leaving it as infamous as we know it now.

You're right about influence. Not counting short-what ifs, there's been like four Clone Saga stories since the original:

- The infamous '90s one

- The Real Clone Saga miniseries (which attempted to follow the original outline for the '90s one)

- Clone Conspiracy

I could be wrong, but it seems like the Ultimate one was also one of the few, if not the only one, to get near-universal praise, while the others seem to have fans taking a dim view of them and/or mixed reviews and opinions. Which isn't exactly the greatest turnout, esp. given that the idea on paper sounds good.
    It's like they looked at Venoms origin, then scoured the book for other loose ends they could turn into major plot points - in this case aimed at getting rid of a married Peter if I'm not mistaken.

Kind of an odd What If...?

If it was ok for Peter to be married... No clone arcs... No OMD
    Last edited by Vixx; 05-22-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

- The infamous '90s one

- Clone Conspiracy

The original one seems to have been well-received, but it was seen mainly as the finale to Conway's run, rather than a massive story engine in its own rignt.

There were a few follow-ups (the return of the Gwen clone, Carrion, a What If?) but it was largely seen as a story that ended.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Got around reading it and it's C for me...barely. It reminded me of Spider-Verse in the sense that there was decent build-up, good twists and then it ended kinda suddenly and much of the supposed reasoning didn't make any sense. There was some sound which destroyed the clones and then the real people or something-something...I really didn't get any of it. I don't mind heroes turning villains, it is easy to imagine that Ben might get traumatized to insanity by his horrible treatment, but going straight up to "kill Spider-Man and destroy the world"-level insanity? That's a bit much. Also, hey, another Gwen-clone. They should really let her rest in peace already. They even left a tiny bit of opening for possible survival as the clones left no identifiable bodies. I guess when they need to jump over another shark pool, they will send in the clones again...