Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Character vs plot driven stories:Which do you prefer?

If you had to choose one, Would you choose plot driven stories or character driven ones

If I had to pick, based on the stories that tend to be my favourite, I would say I prefer "character driven ones". Mainly because my favourite thing about comics in general is seeing certain characters interact with each other, whether it be the usual or brand new pairings and how it can result in a lot of funny and memorable dialogue and moments.

Though I think for a comic as a whole, there needs to be a balance between plot driven and character driven stories. I don't believe you can have a truly good comic only focusing on one type or the other.

Niffleheim

If the story is really really good and adds another interesting angle to the mythos then yes i'll take a writer who picks one trait of a character to explain a good story while completely forgetting every thing else that defined a character in the past --- for comic books i expect ideas that aren't restrained to character. I'd be 100% happy If a writer can manage to stay true to the character and tell a really good story but most of the time that is not possible.

Character driven stories doesn't mean it's going to be a good story and also a plot driven story doesn't mean it is going to be bad. It depends on the writer
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-28-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by George Ndebele View Post
    If you had to choose one, Would you choose plot driven stories or character driven ones
    Very Good Question George Ndebele.

While Both are Very Important and It all Depends on how they are written but not on which one you start off with when making your story at the start;

Character IMO is FAR more of the Important Aspect to focus on and it what ultimately determinants if a Story becomes memorable or not IMO.

While plot ones can still be good to a degree, if that is the Main focus it can leave one lost for memorable cause really you don't feel the stakes if character is not on equal focus.

Character is the heart of any great story, plot is VERY Important but any writer's main and most important focus should always be on the characters, who they are, their depth, development, journey, views, etc.

Everytime I think of what I would do as a writer if I ever had the honor to write stories is that while it does not matter where I start in development or what my story is about, IT ALWAYS ends up that what make the story have the most heart and the most Important, Emotinoal and Inspirational will Always come down to the Character.

So yea, Character Driven Stories I Much more Prefer.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Character driven.

Characters used for nothing more than plot devices stinks.

If its one of my favorite characters.... character driven

If not.. plot
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

My entire comic collection would consist entirely of stories about Jean Grey, her clones and their collective children if I read comics that were strictly character driven.

BANNED

I can't say I necessarily prefer one over the other. I do think, however, that a plot-driven, high concept story can be chopped up with character driven moments/issues/arcs to good effect, if handled well of course.

I read for the characters. give me a crap story with a character I like. I promise you that i'll buy it.

Ideally I like some of both, but.... Character driven. I like getting inside characters heads, their motivations etc. are often what makes the plot interesting in the first place. I am all for something more plot driven, but it will have to be a lot better written to keep my interest.

Character. However, plot driven stories with the right set of characters is also swell.

I should have made a poll but its interesting that people would take the crappiest stories with their favourite characters than a good story that butchers the character

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Ideally I like some of both, but.... Character driven. I like getting inside characters heads, their motivations etc. are often what makes the plot interesting in the first place. I am all for something more plot driven, but it will have to be a lot better written to keep my interest.
    Bingo. A well-executed character piece with a tropey plot is still going to be a lot more enjoyable to me than a high concept story with cardboard characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by George Ndebele View Post
    I should have made a poll but its interesting that people would take the crappiest stories with their favourite characters than a good story that butchers the character
    Good stories don't butcher characters.

Well, i normally dont care how long is entertaining; but if i really had to choose, i prefer plots for team books and character-driven for solos.