Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #18 (aka Reborn part 1) (spoilers)

Whoa........

So like, even though I literally knew what was going to happen due to the bombardment of previews.....dat emotional gut punch, though.

First off, the voice for Superman in this issue is great. You feel the building dread and desperation in his voice being masked with man of action "don't worry we'll pull through" clam and reason. Clark not being able to solve the situation with either physicality or brains leaves him in a state of helplessness that we hardly ever see him in. And the worst part (for him. For me, it's amazing to watch) is that one of the most important beings in the universe to him is on the line.

The ending image of Superman and Lois looking like "when we find that dude, it's his @$$" is the actual best. These two are straight up doers, and heaven help to unlucky fool who gets in their way.

But with all that said, I think my favorite part is the image of the Smith house being "burned" down as they sit outside. That image is pretty striking for how comparatively small it is.

Super pumped for Action next week!

BANNED

So what was going on with the picture book at the end, with the pictures having vanished?

As far as I can tell, it's an indication that Superman's life is in flux. Remember how Jon notes that he's not in any of the pictures? Well, I'm assuming that by the end of this arc he will be in quite a few of them, and Clark's classic suit will (unfortunately) be replaced by the hybrid suit seen on the Action Comics cover post Reborn.

Basically, it'll likely be used to bookend the arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As far as I can tell, it's an indication that Superman's life is in flux. Remember how Jon notes that he's not in any of the pictures? Well, I'm assuming that by the end of this arc he will be in quite a few of them, and Clark's classic suit will (unfortunately) be replaced by the hybrid suit seen on the Action Comics cover post Reborn.

That makes sense.

Continuity rewrites galore.

BANNED

I enjoyed the issue, though sometimes the art felt a little choppy and kind of peaked after the scenes with Oz and the prison.

Aside from that, it was capitivating stuff. Jon asking where he is in the pictures makes sense seeing he'd be barely aware of the circumstnaces of his birth and his parent's previous lives before Convergence (looks like Oz or somebody may have that talk with him about the hows and whys of his existence)

The desperation of Superman is great to see, a real vulnerability as he does everything to protect Jon against something that ultimatley claims him, but I also enjoyed looking at the determined and vengeful looks on Lois and Clark's faces...they're united no matter what and they're going to get to the heart of the matter like good parents/journalists do, Clark knows there is hope yet to find Jon.

A modestly good start, though I think too much was given away in the last week leading up to it via previews, but what can you do?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

So, the whole point is to say that Superman's continuity is the exact same as it was before Flashpoint, but that he's now always been sans-trunks? Is that literally the only reason for all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, the whole point is to say that Superman's continuity is the exact same as it was before Flashpoint, but that he's now always been sans-trunks? Is that literally the only reason for all this?
    Well, no. The point is to add Jon and the current family into continuity as if it'd always been the norm. Taking the trunks away is an am unfortunate byproduct of the instance on keeping vague shards of the New 52.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    "Mr. Kent, why aren't you wearing any pants?"

The big questions coming out of Reborn people

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Wow, they spoiled pretty much everything about the issue.

What can I add? I'm sure SuperCrab will love the ending.

You know what the saddest part of the issue was? you just know those homeowner insurance pricks are going to screw Lois and Clark over on the technicality that "being deleted from existence" wasn't covered in their insurance plan. Well that and the bit where the horrified parents watch their child vanish, but mostly the insurance thing. I bet that's who creepy Clark really is, Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor! With yet another twisted real estate scam!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

This felt like an odd mix of the best and worst of this book thus far. The first half was continuity teasing adding up to nothing, mixed with a bunch of saccharine "look at how happy Superman's world is! Don't you love how nice Superman and his family are?" slop that while well-intended, just did not work however they intended it. The second on the other hand had a legitimately interesting high concept (A family album...from a dead universe, even as aspects of this universe vanish in turn!) rooted in sincerely emotional interactions culminating in a final page that felt like it didn't quite live up to all the setup. It certainly wasn't my favorite issue, but it was maybe the single most Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason Superman issue of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's Superman.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This felt like an odd mix of the best and worst of this book thus far. The first half was continuity teasing adding up to nothing, mixed with a bunch of saccharine "look at how happy Superman's world is! Don't you love how nice Superman and his family are?" slop that while well-intended, just did not work however they intended it
    Worked for me.

BANNED

What a gut punch even though we all know everything will be back to normal.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's only going to be a problem for me if the next issues are this deeply spoiled. I mean I usually click on spoilers but I feel weird about DC giving so much of the actual issue away.

This issue, read overall, was really powerful. The beginning is still a touch oversaturated, but wow, what an ending. Funny how the darkened under-eye thing is very much a Jurgens staple... I couldn't help thinking "I wish Jurgens and Breeding had drawn/inked that page.. or the whole book, while I'm wishing.. lol)

Bring on the next issue of Action!! I can't wait!
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-01-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/