Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I'm gonna echo the same sentiment that most people have on this issue -- that it pretty much was a mixed bag.

I loved the stuff with Rhino and the Lizard.
    That whole creepy lizard family looks like its gonna be awesome.

What I didn't like was how they left things off with Peter, Kaine and Gwen.

I understand where Kaine is coming from but knowing that he's still dying it'd be shame if his last interaction with Peter was them arguing. :/
    I'm also terrified that they're gonna kill off Kaine and replace him with Ben. I really hope they don't though. I think they can have two Scarlet Spiders around, especially ones with personalities as different as Ben and Kaine's.

And I really don't know how to feel about the whole Spider Gwen and Peter thing. I don't think Peter should treat her coldly but at the same time I don't know what Spider Gwen is expecting from him. He's not the same Peter as the one from her earth and she's not the same Gwen as his Gwen. So of course the relationship is going to be awkward/not what they were expecting. I think those two just need to talk tbh, lol.

Still can't get a handle on what they're doing with Ben either.
    I was expecting some guilt or repentance for his actions but he's still acting the same as he did at the beginning of this event. ><;
    I know that they're gonna redeem him eventually (I think) but it looks like it's going to be a long road and I'm not sure exactly what they want to do with his character at this point.

Lastly, I'm SUPER surprised there was no mention of or foreshadowing for Ock or that proto clone body.
    It's either gonna be something really awesome or really dumb I bet. Maybe both.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

So I thought Clone Conspiracy: Omega was a *slightly* better ending than the supposed official ending with Clone Conspiracy #5. Then again, seeing as how I thought that comic, as an ending, was downright awful, that may not be saying a lot. But as they say, nowhere to go but up, right?

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy: Omega #1
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So I thought Clone Conspiracy: Omega was a *slightly* better ending than the supposed official ending with Clone Conspiracy #5. Then again, seeing as how I thought that comic, as an ending, was downright awful, that may not be saying a lot. But as they say, nowhere to go but up, right?

I'll admit I don't always enjoy your reviews, but this one was spot on, almost everything listed was perfectly valid.
    I really liked that bit at the end where you said in your nitpicks that Fisk is saying Spidey needs a win, even though he basically saved the world. It's a sad fact of the Spider-Man world and often real life that people focus so much on the bad side of things that we forget the positive aspects. Peter may have suffered through intense emotional trauma, but hed did save the world yet all we see in his disposition that he is angry about the loss, which is fine. It would be nice from time to time for Peter to notice the good that he is doing not just the bad.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post

Interesting read as far as your review goes as usual Stillanerd.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    I'll admit I don't always enjoy your reviews, but this one was spot on, almost everything listed was perfectly valid.
    I really liked that bit at the end where you said in your nitpicks that Fisk is saying Spidey needs a win, even though he basically saved the world. It's a sad fact of the Spider-Man world and often real life that people focus so much on the bad side of things that we forget the positive aspects. Peter may have suffered through intense emotional trauma, but hed did save the world yet all we see in his disposition that he is angry about the loss, which is fine. It would be nice from time to time for Peter to notice the good that he is doing not just the bad.
    The Kingpin is correct in perceiving that Spider-Man needs a "clean" win, a win that feels unequivocally good.

Spider-Man may have saved the day in CC but it certainly wasn't a triumphant win as it left all its participants emotionally shattered.

In contrast, taking down Norman Osborn would feel very good indeed.

BANNED

"Sligthly better" than CC#5?

Sorry, I`m still ambivalent about your reviews. CC#5 was rushed. It was a non ending. This was a proper fallout issue with actual good character moments and nice setups for new ongoings.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    Thanks, my good sir. To be fair, though, Spider-Man, and other characters, to focus a lot on the negative, overlooking the fact he just saved the day, is par for the course. He's the original hard luck superhero, after all. But it sure can get annoying for the reasons you mentioned, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Interesting read as far as your review goes as usual Stillanerd.
    Thanks again, JO.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The Kingpin is correct in perceiving that Spider-Man needs a "clean" win, a win that feels unequivocally good.

Spider-Man may have saved the day in CC but it certainly wasn't a triumphant win as it left all its participants emotionally shattered.

In contrast, taking down Norman Osborn would feel very good indeed.
    Which is definitely the inference, yes. And I imagine that Spider-Man going after Osborn, and using Parker Industries resources to do it, during a time in which their signature product is "wrecked" because of the inverse frequency he used, meaning they'll have to replace all the units, and, if Jerry's wife is any indication, facing all sorts of legal trouble, Peter's will put the company into a deeper hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    "Sligthly better" than CC#5?

Sorry, I`m still ambivalent about your reviews. CC#5 was rushed. It was a non ending. This was a proper fallout issue with actual good character moments and nice setups for new ongoings.
    No need to apologize. Besides, I agree with you completely about Clone Conspiracy #5 being a rushed, non-ending. The main problem I had with Clone Conspiracy: Omega--even though, as you say, it does have good character moments and set-ups--is that, when taking together with the entire crossover, it doesn't fit together so neatly with the rest of the miniseries, in my opinion. Especially when comparing the tone of CC #5 and Omega's first story.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Well, it's definitely meant to be horrific so if you were repulsed then I suppose it had the desired effect.

I know I definitely found it to be pretty disturbing myself!
    I loved the shocker ending of this .. that last panel ...

It totally had that 1950s pre Comics Code 50's EC Comics horror vibe. Awesome.

I have to give a shout out to the awesome artwork by Cory T. Smith on the main story, by the way.

My main gripe with CC was that I didn't think Cheung was an especially great fit for it. A fantastic artist, yes, but not ideally suited for a darker storyline like CC. Smith's work on this epilogue, however, struck me as being in better tune with the emotional content.

I don't think there's any evidence that Anna is a clone. Not to say it's impossible but I don't think we're meant to believe she is.
    I agree, Cory Smith's art was great.

At ECCC this weekend I talked to Jim Cheung and found out that Cory Smith also drew a good chunk of CC #4 (at least 8 pages). Cheung said Marvel credited the artists wrong.

Spectacular Member

yeah I've seen other people post similar beliefs here but that wasn't the 90s depiction, which made sense with kaine's willingness to kill and his poor man's shakespeare dialogue of the time. giving him peter's memories of family kinda negates his father/son relationship with the jackal.
    Miles Warren had a tendency to brainwash his clones. If you look at the original Gwen clone in the first clone story, she was programmed to obey the Jackal.

She broke free of that programming in that story... although, in my opinion, some of it must've remained, which would explain her weird choice to marry the Warren Miles clone.

Kaine's father/son relationship with the Jackal is something Miles Warren likely programmed into him.

I'd also suggest that while Kaine has always had Peter's memories, he doesn't consider them his. Kaine has always thought of himself as a monster and, at least in the past, has likely viewed Peter's memories as implants which don't really belong to him.

That's why he' was willing to kill. Because he views himself as a thing, who just has the memories of a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    Miles Warren had a tendency to brainwash his clones. If you look at the original Gwen clone in the first clone story, she was programmed to obey the Jackal.

She broke free of that programming in that story... although, in my opinion, some of it must've remained, which would explain her weird choice to marry the Warren Miles clone.

Kaine's father/son relationship with the Jackal is something Miles Warren likely programmed into him.

I'd also suggest that while Kaine has always had Peter's memories, he doesn't consider them his. Kaine has always thought of himself as a monster and, at least in the past, has likely viewed Peter's memories as implants which don't really belong to him.

That's why he' was willing to kill. Because he views himself as a thing, who just has the memories of a better man.
    that might be the case now...anyone know when it changed? the 90s made it pretty clear that he had shadowy "DNA memories" of peter's life but nothing so clear as ben's
    troo fan or death