Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Unstoppable Wasp #3 : Summary - Spoilers

- Nadia's friend Ying from the red room is tasked to bring her back or she dies.
    - Apparently there is no way out of this so she presses a button, Nadia turns her back, and Ying disappears in that 2 seconds like the villains in Arrow and Flash.
    - Giant Raccoon. I guess Ying made that happen.
    - That raccoon and Devil Dinosaur fight, raccoon shrinks down, problem solved.
    - Moongirl is too busy to join G.I.R.L.
    - Nadia gets a new phone.
    - More hints on her being lesbian.
    - Janet has one page cameo. She is mad that Nadia still hasn't taken care of the legal stuff and that Jarvis hasn't pushed her into.
    - Nadia recruits another genius to the team. She had a rough few months so Nadia's offer cheers her up. She was working on a teleporter when Nadia and Jarvis arrived.
    - Her dad loves the idea. So she is officially in.
    - At night, in times square, Nadia is at a coffee shop to recruit the last girl. Lesson to learn here: Blonde girls are dumb. Women of color are clever.
    - Last girl isn't into the idea. She just wants to impress the dumb blondes to go to their party.
    - Nadia keeps trying to convince her but at the end she makes it clear she wants a normal life.
    - When they go back to the shop they see that Poundcakes has the girl's mother. tbc

the Good:

- Finally somethings are starting to happen with her past coming into play.
    - Science stuff.
    - Priya, the last girl Nadia went to visit, is cool.

the Bad:

- Still no story. Her entire purpose is to collect a bunch of genius girls. No villain. No stakes. Barely any action.
    - Jarvis is written like a joke.
    - Generic fun, lighthearted dialogue. Nothing special. Same jokes we see every day in various places.
    - Not a fan of the art. Definitely hating the colors. Anyone can do a better job with Paint.
    - Zero creativity. Bee Girl? Pixie Girl? Tinkerbell? for real?
    - Needs some heroing.

4/10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    - Still no story. Her entire purpose is to collect a bunch of genius girls. No villain. No stakes. Barely any action.
    That's my main beef with this book. The premise is a brand new character recruiting a bunch of brand new characters, with really no one that we know or care about (yet) involved, and no attempt to make us care about any of it.

I'm glad Janet finally appeared but it wasn't much. And I'm a *huge* Poundcakes fan but I don't think even she can save this series for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    - Nadia's friend Ying from the red room is tasked to bring her back or she dies.
    - Apparently there is no way out of this so she presses a button, Nadia turns her back, and Ying disappears in that 2 seconds like the villains in Arrow and Flash.
    - Giant Raccoon. I guess Ying made that happen.
    - That raccoon and Devil Dinosaur fight, raccoon shrinks down, problem solved.
    - Moongirl is too busy to join G.I.R.L.
    - Nadia gets a new phone.
    - More hints on her being lesbian.
    - Janet has one page cameo. She is mad that Nadia still hasn't taken care of the legal stuff and that Jarvis hasn't pushed her into.
    - Nadia recruits another genius to the team. She had a rough few months so Nadia's offer cheers her up. She was working on a teleporter when Nadia and Jarvis arrived.
    - Her dad loves the idea. So she is officially in.
    - At night, in times square, Nadia is at a coffee shop to recruit the last girl. Lesson to learn here: Blonde girls are dumb. Women of color are clever.
    - Last girl isn't into the idea. She just wants to impress the dumb blondes to go to their party.
    - Nadia keeps trying to convince her but at the end she makes it clear she wants a normal life.
    - When they go back to the shop they see that Poundcakes has the girl's mother. tbc

the Good:

- Finally somethings are starting to happen with her past coming into play.
    - Science stuff.
    - Priya, the last girl Nadia went to visit, is cool.

the Bad:

- Jarvis is written like a joke.
    - Generic fun, lighthearted dialogue. Nothing special. Same jokes we see every day in various places.
    - Not a fan of the art. Definitely hating the colors. Anyone can do a better job with Paint.
    - Zero creativity. Bee Girl? Pixie Girl? Tinkerbell? for real?
    - Needs some heroing.

4/10 for me.
    Sometimes Brains is better than brawn. Not every Superhero comic needs to be all punchy. Maybe this could be the start of something big as it's nice to see more girl theme geniuses in the Marvel Universe, wouldn't you agree ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Sometimes Brains is better than brawn. Not every Superhero comic needs to be all punchy. Maybe this could be the start of something big as it's nice to see more girl theme geniuses in the Marvel Universe, wouldn't you agree ?
    I like what the writer is trying to do but it doesn't make the book good if you don't try to tell a story. Might as well make this a magazine with articles

I love this book. It's just good, pure, adorable, wonderful fun. Sure, it's a slow burn story. But screw story, Nadia is adorable. Who needs story when you have her new phone song?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I love this book. It's just good, pure, adorable, wonderful fun. Sure, it's a slow burn story. But screw story, Nadia is adorable. Who needs story when you have her new phone song?
    Screw story ?? are u serious ?? if i wantes something cute and funny i will buy a dog . We are talking about comics!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by josee View Post
    Screw story ?? are u serious ?? if i wantes something cute and funny i will buy a dog . We are talking about comics!!
    I said this was gonna stink from issue one. Glad I jumped off then. You have got it right here. Another Antman/Astonshing Antman with no real focus and dubious art. At least Antman had decent art.

Did you made an account just to say that? lmao
    Last edited by Wiccan; 03-03-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    No he said it because it's true.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I haven't been reading the comic so I won't comment on the quality or lack of the story but josee does have a point in terms of their reaction to ''screw story''.

Mighty Member

This comics represent the new Marvel Comics in a nutshell. No story, bad art from tumblr, bad writing with jokes who fall flat...
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Worst part is that this seems to be an increasing trend with the teenage female led books of late. Rather than actually having a story, they instead substitute it for quirkiness. Waid's issues of ANAD Avengers that focused on Nadia had me interested in her solo but the book itself hasn't even been able to live up to the backup story and that says something.

Amazing Member

This book is just really bad all around. Art is wonky and the colors are terrible enough with the flat colors on this books marketed towards teenager or women. I gave three issues to this series but there is no plot other then this S.H.I.E.L.D list that is already a weak premise because fans are smart enough to know a characters like Valeria Richards would be in the top three if they didn't cut her out of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Worst part is that this seems to be an increasing trend with the teenage female led books of late. Rather than actually having a story, they instead substitute it for quirkiness. Waid's issues of ANAD Avengers that focused on Nadia had me interested in her solo but the book itself hasn't even been able to live up to the backup story and that says something.
    That's how I feel, too. It's less about Nadia being a superhero and more about her recruiting a bunch of new characters that nobody asked for.

Funnily enough, Mark Waid has been talking on Twitter tonight about plot being overrated. (It's not threaded, but here's his Twitter account.)

Different people have different tastes, of course. Some like deep, intricate plots full of all sorts of twists and surprises. But for the most part, plot is largely dressing. Some of the most critically-acclaimed stories ever have had paper-thin plots. Same with some of the most commercially-successful: Waid pointed to the Bond movies as an example of that. He retweeted someone else who brought up the Deadpool movie as having a really simple and cliche plot. Waiting for Godot is considered a classic of theatre, and the plot is literally two guys talking.

What matters most in a story is the emotion. If it gets you to feel what it wants you to feel at any given moment, whether that be happy, sad, scared, angry, excited, whatever. That's what the story is. Plot is just one component.

I've said before that I would read a series about superheroes getting together for coffee. I'm not joking. Because a good writer could do more intense character exploration and drama in 8 pages of coffee than in a year of plot-driven stories.

But like I said, it comes down to taste. If you want a deeper plot, then this probably isn't the book for you, because Whitley's making it clear that this is very much a character-driven series.