Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Worst part is that this seems to be an increasing trend with the teenage female led books of late. Rather than actually having a story, they instead substitute it for quirkiness. Waid's issues of ANAD Avengers that focused on Nadia had me interested in her solo but the book itself hasn't even been able to live up to the backup story and that says something.
    Well I guess those teenage girl books are more geared towards females but I do agree with you that too much concentration on quirkiness and not enough on story.

Now Ms. Marvel on the other hand is a solid good read that seems to concentrate more on story than funny quips and cuteness.

All these teenage girl comics reminds me of Shojo Mangas.

Quote Originally Posted by Br_Havoc View Post
    This book is just really bad all around. Art is wonky and the colors are terrible enough with the flat colors on this books marketed towards teenager or women. I gave three issues to this series but there is no plot other then this S.H.I.E.L.D list that is already a weak premise because fans are smart enough to know a characters like Valeria Richards would be in the top three if they didn't cut her out of the universe.
    Seriously... I'm a woman, and I didn't like it one bit. I don't think it's aimed at women, I'd say it's probably more suited for children and very young teens who are just getting into comics. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I just wished they had made up a new character without any connections to a known superhero, for which both backstories are heavy and dramatic. The lives of Hank, Maria and Nadia don't suit this kind of book at all, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Worst part is that this seems to be an increasing trend with the teenage female led books of late. Rather than actually having a story, they instead substitute it for quirkiness. Waid's issues of ANAD Avengers that focused on Nadia had me interested in her solo but the book itself hasn't even been able to live up to the backup story and that says something.
    I really enjoy reading Nadia in Waid's Avengers. That's why I wanted to give her solo a shot. It feels like two completely different characters, and I'm afraid my affection goes for Waid's portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Funnily enough, Mark Waid has been talking on Twitter tonight about plot being overrated. (It's not threaded, but here's his Twitter account.)

Different people have different tastes, of course. Some like deep, intricate plots full of all sorts of twists and surprises. But for the most part, plot is largely dressing. Some of the most critically-acclaimed stories ever have had paper-thin plots. Same with some of the most commercially-successful: Waid pointed to the Bond movies as an example of that. He retweeted someone else who brought up the Deadpool movie as having a really simple and cliche plot. Waiting for Godot is considered a classic of theatre, and the plot is literally two guys talking.

What matters most in a story is the emotion. If it gets you to feel what it wants you to feel at any given moment, whether that be happy, sad, scared, angry, excited, whatever. That's what the story is. Plot is just one component.

I've said before that I would read a series about superheroes getting together for coffee. I'm not joking. Because a good writer could do more intense character exploration and drama in 8 pages of coffee than in a year of plot-driven stories.

But like I said, it comes down to taste. If you want a deeper plot, then this probably isn't the book for you, because Whitley's making it clear that this is very much a character-driven series.
    I agree with you, to a degree. I personally love character-driven stories, but there's usually something that happens within these stories (i.e. the plot) that shows us how the characters react to the situation and to others around them, their personal opinions, their motivations, their way of coping with things, their feelings, their struggles, their despair or exhilaration. It's three issues in and we are not much closer to having seen those things in Nadia. Everything is kept on a very superficial level, and I would never call this a "study of character" since there isn't much character to show for. All I see is a girl in a constant sugar rush who has no respect for Jarvis or Jan and what they have done for her, who has no apparent desire to go on with her life in a normal way, has claimed her father's house and made a mess of it (and keep in mind so far we only have her word to show that she's really who she says she is)... I'll be honest, she annoys me greatly.

I gave her a shot, with all the best intentions. But this is just not for me. I'll stick with Waid's characterization.

Funnily enough, Mark Waid has been talking on Twitter tonight about plot being overrated. (It's not threaded, but here's his Twitter account.)

Different people have different tastes, of course. Some like deep, intricate plots full of all sorts of twists and surprises. But for the most part, plot is largely dressing. Some of the most critically-acclaimed stories ever have had paper-thin plots. Same with some of the most commercially-successful: Waid pointed to the Bond movies as an example of that. He retweeted someone else who brought up the Deadpool movie as having a really simple and cliche plot. Waiting for Godot is considered a classic of theatre, and the plot is literally two guys talking.

What matters most in a story is the emotion. If it gets you to feel what it wants you to feel at any given moment, whether that be happy, sad, scared, angry, excited, whatever. That's what the story is. Plot is just one component.

I've said before that I would read a series about superheroes getting together for coffee. I'm not joking. Because a good writer could do more intense character exploration and drama in 8 pages of coffee than in a year of plot-driven stories.

But like I said, it comes down to taste. If you want a deeper plot, then this probably isn't the book for you, because Whitley's making it clear that this is very much a character-driven series.

Yes yes except it doesn't have any of the things you said either in addition to not having a story/plot.

It doesn't matter if readers of the book felt joy and stuff with some uncreative writing, this book doesn't have any character edploration, any drama, any emotion other than the joy, cliche jokes give you. It does not come down to taste, not with THIS book, any other writer can come and do the same thing, give same messages, have the same feeling but do everything better because this book is extremely amatauer. And I've felt like I was qualified to call a comic amataur nor I felt like I needed to and I'm doing now so know thatI mean it so much. This book is extremely amateur and feels like it was written in 5 minutes.

Besides this is not what Waid means. This isn't a book where emotions are more important to it's plot. Because it doesn't HAVE a plot. Therefore you can't say what should or could outweight the plot because you can outweight the non existent

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Yes yes except it doesn't have any of the things you said either in addition to not having a story/plot.

It doesn't matter if readers of the book felt joy and stuff with some uncreative writing, this book doesn't have any character edploration, any drama, any emotion other than the joy, cliche jokes give you. It does not come down to taste, not with THIS book, any other writer can come and do the same thing, give same messages, have the same feeling but do everything better because this book is extremely amatauer. And I've felt like I was qualified to call a comic amataur nor I felt like I needed to and I'm doing now so know thatI mean it so much. This book is extremely amateur and feels like it was written in 5 minutes.

Besides this is not what Waid means. This isn't a book where emotions are more important to it's plot. Because it doesn't HAVE a plot. Therefore you can't say what should or could outweight the plot because you can outweight the non existent
    I disagree. I think there is a plot. Two of them, in fact. Nadia forming a think tank is a plot. This plot is used as a way to have her meet young genius girls, who are used to explore some of the different experiences of being a genius girl. The second plot is the stuff with the Red Room, and with Ying. This plot was actually introduced in ANAD Avengers, in an issue, by the way, written by Jeremy Whitley. (Mark Waid said that Whitley did the bulk of the writing on that issue.) And she's made repeated references, throughout the series, to her escape from the Red Room, and she's made references to missing Ying. So it's not like this plot was only introduced in this issue.

Lack of character exploration? Well, I would disagree there, too. Nadia's joy is character exploration. She says in the first issue: She chooses to be happy. She chooses not to let her past weigh her down. Beyond that, she's still new to the US, and new to being out on her own, and she's really excited and eager and determined. You think that's not going to lead to drama? Of course it will. She's going to run into things that make it harder for her to remain so happy, and so excited. In fact, this very issue has her run into a situation like that. When Priya refuses to join her, Nadia is clearly pretty shaken by it. The idea of any of the girls turning her down clearly hadn't crossed her mind, especially given how eager the other two girls were to join her. (Lunella doesn't really count, as Nadia hadn't initially thought about recruiting her, and Lunella's doing her own thing that involves a dinosaur.) Nadia has trouble accepting Priya's refusal, and the rejection pushes aside the mask of irrepressible joy, just a little. And we'll see more of that sort of thing.

It's fine if you're not enjoying the book. If it doesn't have the right qualities in the right amount that you prefer. It happens. But I disagree with much of your assessment of the book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Did you made an account just to say that? lmao
    Wouldn't be far of a stretch on being true ("Oh, how dare you like something I don't like!").
    Last edited by Frostbite883; 03-05-2017 at 01:04 AM.

I disagree. I think there is a plot. Two of them, in fact. Nadia forming a think tank is a plot. This plot is used as a way to have her meet young genius girls, who are used to explore some of the different experiences of being a genius girl. The second plot is the stuff with the Red Room, and with Ying. This plot was actually introduced in ANAD Avengers, in an issue, by the way, written by Jeremy Whitley. (Mark Waid said that Whitley did the bulk of the writing on that issue.) And she's made repeated references, throughout the series, to her escape from the Red Room, and she's made references to missing Ying. So it's not like this plot was only introduced in this issue.

Lack of character exploration? Well, I would disagree there, too. Nadia's joy is character exploration. She says in the first issue: She chooses to be happy. She chooses not to let her past weigh her down. Beyond that, she's still new to the US, and new to being out on her own, and she's really excited and eager and determined. You think that's not going to lead to drama? Of course it will. She's going to run into things that make it harder for her to remain so happy, and so excited. In fact, this very issue has her run into a situation like that. When Priya refuses to join her, Nadia is clearly pretty shaken by it. The idea of any of the girls turning her down clearly hadn't crossed her mind, especially given how eager the other two girls were to join her. (Lunella doesn't really count, as Nadia hadn't initially thought about recruiting her, and Lunella's doing her own thing that involves a dinosaur.) Nadia has trouble accepting Priya's refusal, and the rejection pushes aside the mask of irrepressible joy, just a little. And we'll see more of that sort of thing.

It's fine if you're not enjoying the book. If it doesn't have the right qualities in the right amount that you prefer. It happens. But I disagree with much of your assessment of the book.
    You are overestimating the book and the writer. Nadia will rescue Priya's mother possibly using a device of some sort, science stuff and Priya will change her mind about joining.

Any kind of drama will be resolved within the issue and everyone will be happy again. You are forgetting this book is targeted for small children. Not teens. Not even 10-12 year olds. This book is targeted towards 6-10 year olds. It's obvious.

So no, I don't think there will be much drama. I also don't think Nadia's joy should be remotely considered character exploration. You can't explore what was explored. Yeah she is bubbly and joyful. And that about sums up Nadia.

One of the many reasons I'm mad is because ANAD 14 was so fun and Nadia was very cool in that. Waid writers her so much better.

Well, I'm a 26 adult man and I'm enjoying this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Well just because it isn't targeted for you doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Did you made an account just to say that? lmao
    No i didn't created for that..i created few weeks ago , the first time i respond because we reach a high level of stupidity over here !! "Nadia ismThat cute so who cares about the story!!" Lol

All-New Member

People don't like to hear the truth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    That's cool.

All-New Member

The art is just awfull , not at the Marvel level No background !! bad inking ...and the story is pointless. 3,99 $ for a fanzine no thank you .

All-New Member

it has nothing to do with being deep story. it's only about good story .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    One of the many reasons I'm mad is because ANAD 14 was so fun and Nadia was very cool in that. Waid writers her so much better.
    I guess bottom line, I was expecting something completely different for this solo book, and I'm utterly underwhelmed and disappointed. I think they should have advertised it clearly and plainly in advance that this would be a kiddie's book. No offense to those who like it, but this book has no maturity in it. Everything from the narrative to the dialogues to the art feels childish.