Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Continued in Action Comics 975". Is it just me or...

... Does this come across kinda like a sleazy sales trick to you too? Whenever I see this type of "continued in the pages of..." it seems like such a transparent trick to manipulate me into buying another book. I find it to be a turn off.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    ... Does this come across kinda like a sleazy sales trick to you too? Whenever I see this type of "continued in the pages of..." it seems like such a transparent trick to manipulate me into buying another book. I find it to be a turn off.
    I don't know about sleazy...how else would you know where the next part of the story was (assuming that you don't come to sites like these and didn't see a reading /checklist) ?
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Mighty Member

It's hardly anything new. I've never liked it. The MAIN reason I wasn't reading Superman before Rebirth is because the titles were way to interconnected. It sucked because I did try Greg Pak's run and it was off to an awesome start but eventually it fell into the machine. That said, when it's done well I have no problem with it, but even when it's done well it never exceeds a story that takes place in its own book. I think the only crossover I've truly appreciated was Animal Man's and Swamp Thing's, and people even had justifiable issues with that (great story, better read at once than over such a long period of time). It worked well for Geoff John's with Green Lantern, but now I feel Green Lantern is too tied into crossing over now, like there's a mentality that, "it's green lantern, the books have to cross over! Books are going in a different direction? Well figure it out! We need a crossover by Friday!"

They want to do it, fine, but be tasteful about it. Superman Reborn? Ok. You can have that, cause it's WAY better than the state of things before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    I don't know about sleazy...how else would you know where the next part of the story was (assuming that you don't come to sites like these and didn't see a reading /checklist) ?

I'd rather they just tell the story within the title not jump to a different title.

Fantastic Member

I'd rather they just tell the story within the title not jump to a different title.
    It's a status-quo shift that's being done by the entire creative team. Confining it to one title would only make things very confusing in the other one.

And for Superman, it's a bit nostalgic because the next chapter of the story is only a week away.

OH. OK . I get that . I thought you literally had problem with them writing the words To be continued in Action Comics #975...my bad.

You wouldn't have liked the super books in the late 80s and early 90s lol.

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

They used to do this with Batman and 'Tec back in the 1980s. I wasn't bothered by it then and I'm not bothered now. I can however see how it would be annoying for some who might not be picking up Action. For myself though I think it's mere!y a case of them wanting to basically have the Superman Reborn be a weekly book without saying as much and frankly I like the idea.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

You must be a new comics fan. Crossovers have happened for decades.

I think the ship has sailed on crossovers. They've been happening so regularly that there's almost always one going and for coming up on 40 years. Typically they're heightened stories so they're appreciated by most. They certainly are by me. This is a complaint that might have been more at home in a 1980s letter page.

And after reading Superman #18 you better believe I want the next part of the story in a week rather than waiting two. Superman and Action have each been great and we're finally getting some important answers on one of the biggest mysteries of Rebirth and that feels like it's been a LONG time coming. I'm excited as can be that we're getting the next part in just a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    And after reading Superman #18 you better believe I want the next part of the story in a week rather than waiting two. Superman and Action have each been great and we're finally getting some important answers on one of the biggest mysteries of Rebirth and that feels like it's been a LONG time coming. I'm excited as can be that we're getting the next part in just a week.
    This. So...f'n this. Amen to this. Lol

Remember back in the day... around the Death of Superman times... they used to put those triangle numbers on each book to give you a reading order? There were what, four books? Superman, Action, Adventures of Superman, and Man of Steel. But the reality was, it was just one long sequential story and if you only got one of the titles then you were completely lost.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Remember back in the day... around the Death of Superman times... they used to put those triangle numbers on each book to give you a reading order? There were what, four books? Superman, Action, Adventures of Superman, and Man of Steel. But the reality was, it was just one long sequential story and if you only got one of the titles then you were completely lost.
    I remember the triangle era well. You had 4 books that all told one big story or a couple of related stories (like the start of Reign of the Supermen).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    You must be a new comics fan. Crossovers have happened for decades.
    Yes I'm new, in a sense. I read a few years prior to New 52, read New 52 for about 4 months and jumped ship. I'm back for Rebirth. I read on comixology.

To be honest, the "continued in..." thing comes across as a very transparent and gimmicky way to get me to buy an extra book. It seems kind of an insult to my intelligence. I'm not dumb, I know exactly what this is it's a ploy to sell more books. I get they want to sell more books, but I will buy more books if I want buy more books. Not because of some 1950s sales gimmick.

To me, it feels intrusive. I would rather, the story finish and get a two-three page mini comic at the end of the comic that introduces the new plotline and get pointed to where that plotline is going to be explored. But the way they've done it now is basically a commandeering of the book I've been enjoying.

I may pick up Action 975, but I will drop Green Lantern to do so and only keep reading Action if it's good. If not, I will drop Action and pickup an indie title, maybe pick up another DC title. The best that can happen is I buy the same number of DC titles. The worst that can happen is I buy one less DC title.

If I could speak with DC sales team I would say there's really only one way to sell me more books: Make more good books.

Eh, it's an easily solvable problem on my end. Just wanted to vent a little.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 03-02-2017 at 08:34 AM.

BANNED

I know it must be hard to be a DC/Marvel comics fan on a strict budget.