Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    To be honest, the "continued in..." thing comes across as a very transparent and gimmicky way to get me to buy an extra book. It seems kind of an insult to my intelligence. I'm not dumb, I know exactly what this is it's a ploy to sell more books. I get they want to sell more books, but I will buy more books if I want buy more books. Not because of some 1950s sales gimmick.
    Usually transparency is a good thing. There's no trickery, they're telling you exactly where you need to go to get the next chapter of the story. As far as insulting your intelligence, how so? Would you have known otherwise to pick up Action #975, had they not told you? Some people might have assumed the story continued in Superman #19 if not for that blurb...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Usually transparency is a good thing. There's no trickery, they're telling you exactly where you need to go to get the next chapter of the story. As far as insulting your intelligence, how so? Would you have known otherwise to pick up Action #975, had they not told you? Some people might have assumed the story continued in Superman #19 if not for that blurb...
    As mentioned in a previous comment, it's not them telling me that I have an problem with. It's them not telling the story within the one title. The necessity to buy multiple titles to get the story smacks of gimmickiness.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 03-02-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I know it must be hard to be a DC/Marvel comics fan on a strict budget.
    It is, I'm glad to have clawed my way out of poverty and am able to buy the books I like. I still pay attention to money sucking schemes though.

BANNED

the crossovers were way more lengthy in the ninety's what with clone saga knight fall knightsend quest death and returned of superman trial of superman and the eclipso the darkness within which was only told through annuals similar to Atlantis attacks. not to mention nferno executioners song and onslaught. it will drive anybody mad if he tries to collect these arcs now without a clue what ties into what and leads to which story.

As annoying as crossover between different books can be, it helps when the next part is spelled out clearly. With some parts of Rebirth, you've got pieces here and there and following a single thread (like Saturn Girl looking for Superman and ending up in Batgirl, what?) is frustrating.

I'd love to see the focus on an individual series. I'm even willing to accept and be happy with two or even possibly three books being so closely tied together they almost present one series. But, these are 21st century American Superhero comics and the stories are based on universes covering entire lines. Crossovers are no longer special, they are the norm.

Yeah, I'm old. But back in my day, I wasn't old. So there.

"Continued in Action Comics 975". Is it just me or...
    ... Does this come across kinda like a sleazy sales trick to you too? Whenever I see this type of "continued in the pages of..." it seems like such a transparent trick to manipulate me into buying another book. I find it to be a turn off.
    It's not so bad when you have a story crossing over with another title starring that same character.

It IS annoying that they keep pushing out when they're going to reveal who the F#@& "Clark Kent" is, though!!!

BANNED

It is, I'm glad to have clawed my way out of poverty and am able to buy the books I like. I still pay attention to money sucking schemes though.
    Super-hero comics have used tricks to get people to buy them since pretty early on. They used to write stories that had gorillas in them because someone figured out if you have a cover with a gorilla on it, it sells better.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    They used to do this with Batman and 'Tec back in the 1980s. I wasn't bothered by it then and I'm not bothered now. I can however see how it would be annoying for some who might not be picking up Action. For myself though I think it's mere!y a case of them wanting to basically have the Superman Reborn be a weekly book without saying as much and frankly I like the idea.
    Yep. I actually appreciate that Superman Reborn is weekly and they'll be finishing up the story arc rather quickly. Same for Button and Lazarus Contract.

And I definitely do appreciate that DC seems to be pacing their crossovers so they occur in different months. Marvel's events/crossovers seem to overlap (Clone Conspiracy, IVX, Monsters Unleashed) and following those "live" can be difficult on the wallet. From March 2017 Previews, Secret Empire and tie-ins come up to $55 just for the month of May (and yep, a few $5 issues) and an Edge of Venomverse mini has already been announced for June running simultaneously with Secret Empire. Marvel Unlimited seems the only way to follow Marvel comics without going to the poorhouse.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Yep. I actually appreciate that Superman Reborn is weekly and they'll be finishing up the story arc rather quickly. Same for Button and Lazarus Contract.
    I think its a smart move on their part plus it makes the crossovers feel less dragged out.

And I definitely do appreciate that DC seems to be pacing their crossovers so they occur in different months. Marvel's events/crossovers seem to overlap (Clone Conspiracy, IVX, Monsters Unleashed) and following those "live" can be difficult on the wallet. From March 2017 Previews, Secret Empire and tie-ins come up to $55 just for the month of May (and yep, a few $5 issues) and an Edge of Venomverse mini has already been announced for June running simultaneously with Secret Empire. Marvel Unlimited seems the only way to follow Marvel comics without going to the poorhouse.
    I appreciate the way DC is pacing their crossovers as well. Makes them a lot easier to keep up with and I'm not breaking the bank to do so.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Yep. I actually appreciate that Superman Reborn is weekly and they'll be finishing up the story arc rather quickly.
    I don't know.... the Trial of Lex Luthor seems to be dragging on a very long time, for a bi monthly title, this story is taking a while. I think they are slowing down the pace a little since the bimonthly thing started.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I don't know.... the Trial of Lex Luthor seems to be dragging on a very long time, for a bi monthly title, this story is taking a while. I think they are slowing down the pace a little since the bimonthly thing started.
    Isn't that story arc finished already?

That said, decompressed storytelling over 4-6 issues seems to be par for the course when it comes to modern comics.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja