Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    They're both pretty different stories.

But they do share some similar themes.

The comic is more about Logan and showing you the crap world he lives in by showing the other fallen heroes etc... It tries to be deep but I've always felt it was just another alternate reality that's main focus was easter eggs etc... Not that it doesn't have some deep moments too but as a whole eh.

While the film is more a classic what if...? story in a way and cares less about story and more in giving you an emotional roller coaster and less about how it got there.

If I had to choose one I'd choose Logan over the Old Man Logan comic but they're both fun in their own rights. Much like how the Civil War film was a much different beast than the comics Civil War.
    I just read OLD MAN LOGAN, and you're 100 percent correct. Almost the only points the movie has with the GN is that Logan is old and full of regrets, and that some unspecified disaster has taken the X-Men off the map. On the whole OLD MAN is just Millar rehashing the same tropes of his first major hit, WANTED, and once again (IMO) Hollywood made a silk's purse out of a sow's ears by taking a few basic concepts from the GN and taking them in a more human/humane direction.

No wonder the director of LOGAN kept emphasizing SHANE; that's probably the sort of work he wants to be associated with.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

this movie was trully a gift
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post

this movie was trully a gift
    Amen to that!

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

So Logan has officially sold more domestic tickets than Origins! Adjusted inflation to 2009 = $183,700,300

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...yr=2009&p=.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    So Logan has officially sold more domestic tickets than Origins! Adjusted inflation to 2009 = $183,700,300

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...yr=2009&p=.htm
    Thank goodness. If it's one more step towards removing Origins from our collective memory, then please, do more.

In so many ways, this movie is like the complete opposite of that bloatfest Origins, and all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Thank goodness. If it's one more step towards removing Origins from our collective memory, then please, do more.

In so many ways, this movie is like the complete opposite of that bloatfest Origins, and all the better for it.
    I feel like the Wolverine Trilogy is the one superhero trilogy that gets much, much better with each installment. X-Men Origins Wolverine was easily the worst, and the Wolverine was a step-up from that. Then Logan comes along and blows The Wolverine away. Plus, a great goodbye to Hugh Jackman as the character. Patrick Stewart...maybe not so much, but at least I can take comfort in the fact that this isn't the last we've seen of Xavier and hopefully a more definitive death of the character will involve him being surrounded by former and current students and other mutants whose lives he's made better through working towards his dream.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Here is something about the recent X-films that many people overlook.

http://stay-tuned-true-believers.tum...ypse-logan-are

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I feel like the Wolverine Trilogy is the one superhero trilogy that gets much, much better with each installment. X-Men Origins Wolverine was easily the worst, and the Wolverine was a step-up from that. Then Logan comes along and blows The Wolverine away. Plus, a great goodbye to Hugh Jackman as the character. Patrick Stewart...maybe not so much, but at least I can take comfort in the fact that this isn't the last we've seen of Xavier and hopefully a more definitive death of the character will involve him being surrounded by former and current students and other mutants whose lives he's made better through working towards his dream.
    Agree with the first sentence, Origins one of the worst CBM's, Logan might be thee best CBM imo definetly top 3. And imo the best movie of the year thus far.

Xaviers death was meant to be bleak and tragic. Kinda the point of Wolverine repeatedly saying theres water after theu bury him, he was trying to grasp at anything positive. And the moment before xavier dies where he remembers what he did and starts crying was too good.

Sidenote curious what happened to Magneto in this world(not at all relevant to the story, just curious) old age maybe. He wouldnt be eating the shitty food they poisoned and those reavers wouldnt stand a chance.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

I would have liked to have seen Sabertooth follow through with, "Nobody kills you but me." X-24's debut threw me off, I thought it was a dream. I jumped. I like how Charles was very much a Dad, in this. Hit me very personally. I consider this a very cool divergent timeline story. 8/10
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Smile Logan could be an Oscar contender....too bad I don't care.

Do you care?

Superhero fans seem to be in the same boat with videogame fans still obsessed with being liked or gaining respect even after conquering pop culture. Plus, this might make Marvel double down on Old Man Logan in the comics.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-18-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Do you care?

Superhero fans seem to be in the same boat with videogame fans still obsessed with being liked or gaining respect even after conquering pop culture. Plus, this might make Marvel double down on Old Man Logan in the comics.
    Double down in the sense that he is in one of the flag ship X-books (X-Men Gold), is present in a backup series (Weapon X), and has his own on going book (Old Man Logan).

I'd say they doubled down before now.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Double down in the sense that he is in one of the flag ship X-books (X-Men Gold), is present in a backup series (Weapon X), and has his own on going book (Old Man Logan).

I'd say they doubled down before now.
    Don't forget him being in the upcoming Astonishing X-Men too. There is many more books left to add him into at this point.

I think the whole reason for OML being used now is because of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Logan could be an Oscar contender....too bad I don't care.
    Stewart might get a nod for supporting actor but even that's unlikely. It was a very good movie but not at all what the Academy nominates as best picture. The article speculating on this was just more of the usual clickbait nonsense that makes up way too much of the new CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Stewart might get a nod for supporting actor but even that's unlikely. It was a very good movie but not at all what the Academy nominates as best picture. The article speculating on this was just more of the usual clickbait nonsense that makes up way too much of the new CBR.
    I would in general agree that there is nothing about this movie that would make it Oscar worthy except for two key things. Both lead actors are saying goodbye to roles that they have inhabited for almost a decade. Hollywood loves a long term success story and doesn't often get the opportunity to reward the bread and butter blockbuster that keeps them all in a job. So while I would be surprised if they were nominated or won an Oscar, I wouldn't be shocked.