Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Logan (Spoilers)

So I saw the film. I was wondering for those who have seen it, what did you think? I thought the movie was well done, and the story was fairly good. I cared about what happened to those that were involved, however the ending left me conflicted in regards to Logan's character arc these past 17 years. I know there have obviously been some bumps in the road as far as continuity goes, but Logan has always been that tragic character to me. I just thought he would at least get a little piece of the pie when this was all over for all the crap he's had to go through. But...nope. I just had the feeling that if he had gotten through this escapade he would eventually gotten involved in something else and the same fate would have occurred. There are other questions that probably won't be answered, but I guess that isn't as important since this was Logan's story after all. So, good movie, but I just thought it was missing the Midas touch so to speak.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    So I saw the film. I was wondering for those who have seen it, what did you think? I thought the movie was well done, and the story was fairly good. I cared about what happened to those that were involved, however the ending left me conflicted in regards to Logan's character arc these past 17 years. I know there have obviously been some bumps in the road as far as continuity goes, but Logan has always been that tragic character to me. I just thought he would at least get a little piece of the pie when this was all over for all the crap he's had to go through. But...nope. I just had the feeling that if he had gotten through this escapade he would eventually gotten involved in something else and the same fate would have occurred. There are other questions that probably won't be answered, but I guess that isn't as important since this was Logan's story after all. So, good movie, but I just thought it was missing the Midas touch so to speak.
    I think the movie is just an excuse to replace Logan with Laura, to be honest.

Amazing Member

Yeah, I wanted him to be the head of some new school soooo bad! But his death hit me in the gut like a goddamn freight train. "So that's what that feels like..."

Such a great movie. Ever since I first watched X1 I disliked Logan, probably because I've always been a Cyclops fan. DoFP made me appreciate him all of a sudden (Since he spends the movie getting his ass kicked), but this movie just fully turned me into a Wolverine fanboy. I'm gutted to know that this will be the last Wolverine appearance for Jackman, his backstory just has so much history and weight that Laura doesn't quite have.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Maybe, but what'll they do with her then? The main X-Movies are taking place in the 80s-90s, and on top of that in a different timeline. I'm thinking they'd have to use time travel, maybe Cable or something.

Or, if they feel so confident, they could make an entirely new school of X-Men with the kids from this movie? Though that seems pretty unlikely.

So this is just one possible future correct?

Amazing Member

I think so? Unless this is the implied 'happy ending' from DoFP, lol.

As far as I'm aware, it goes like this:

-X1-3 and DoFP (Dystopian ending)
    -X1-3 and DoFP (Good ending)
    -Logan timeline (Charles mentions cage-fighting and the Statue of Liberty, but nothing beyond that. So it could at least include X1?)
    -New timeline (FC, DoFP, Apocalypse)

This was a good film. Gotta watch it a second time when I'm off the high.

BANNED

I red somewhere that the upcoming X-Men movie Supernova will oce again reboot the timeline so we might get a new banch of flicks.

Should have known that a thread about a genuinely staggering emotional achievement, people would be hung up on the continuity implications.

Never change, comic book fans.

Incredible Member

To repost my tweets on the matter in a single paragraph:

Acting etc. in Logan's marvelous throughout, but story makes little sense even for a Fox X-Men film. As stand-alone AU film fantastic. As canonical continuation terrible. And, no, not just cuz it (lazily) negates DoFP's ending. To clarify: In Logan Charles Xavier is a selfish moron time and again that serves little purpose beyond handwaving that there are no X-Men. Past: Had seizure at Xavier's that hurt 600 and killed 7. Somehow enough so Wolverine can't call *anyone*. Present: Insists on spending night with uninvolved family while being hunted by a group of murderers. The former killed his dream somehow, the latter killed 3+ innocents & resulted in ignoble death for Chuck. Speaking of handwaving in Logan: Baddie McBadguy caused end of mutant births over a decade ago, but somehow X-Men losers never found out... And finally, *none* of this explains where the thousands or more of existing mutants suddenly disappeared to in 2029 (Logan's present day).

Additional thoughts: Cry this made me not. Also, I'm slightly annoyed that they made Rictor Laura's generation. And I guess "Lizard Boy" was supposed to be Anole?

Side note:
    In The Wolverine I profited from knowing (partly subbed) Japanese.
    In Logan my sister profited from knowing (never subbed) Spanish.

Not according to Mangold. He was very adamant about refuting Jackman's statement that the film was "in its own universe". Granted, like other Hollywood peeps working at superhero films, by "universe" he probably just meant that it has its own feel to it to begin with, but either way, that Mangold even bothered to publicly explicitly rip away any and all hope of DoFP's happy ending not getting colossally shat on a mere couple of years later in-universe severely soured me on him. Particularly since there was no reason whatsoever not to set it decades later as - as much as I love Patrick Stewart - it would've worked far better without Chuck. Almost made me not watch the movie.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Spectacular Member

The way I see it, the timeline has been so fucked up by previous movies that I'm not going to even try to view it in that sense. It's not this movies fault that the timeline is in that state, and if they had dedicated more time to trying to explain continuity stuff it would've detracted from the movie. What we got was a very tight, very satisfying Wolverine movie, and you just gotta sit back and enjoy it. Also, as the movie lays out this is a Charles Xavier who has been mentally ravaged by a sickness, pretty much bed-ridden and hidden from outside contact, I think it's pretty understandable that he doesn't exactly act the way we remember him from the other movies, and in fact I think that was the point.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by yagha View Post
    I think so? Unless this is the implied 'happy ending' from DoFP, lol.

As far as I'm aware, it goes like this:

-X1-3 and DoFP (Dystopian ending)
    -X1-3 and DoFP (Good ending)
    -Logan timeline (Charles mentions cage-fighting and the Statue of Liberty, but nothing beyond that. So it could at least include X1?)
    -New timeline (FC, DoFP, Apocalypse)
    Actually, there's just two timelines (riddled with continuity errors as they may be) so far:
    Old: First Class, DoFP until Wolverine's mind gets sent back, Origins: Wolverine, X1-3, The Wolverine, DoFP dystopian future [probably doesn't have X-Men comics]
    New: First Class, DoFP past, Apocalypse, (New Mutants), (Supernova), Deadpool, (Deadpool 2), (X-Force), DoFP utopian future epilogue, Logan [has X-Men comics]
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Incredible Member

This was easily the best X-Men movie and one of the best comic book movies.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    That's an incredibly cynical and shallow critique that dismisses the genuine storytelling and effort put into the film.

On that note, I think comic book fans are their worst enemies sometimes. They get so hung up on arbitrary and ultimately pointless things like how something works in a timeline they can't let themselves just enjoy or not enjoy a film on it's own terms. Comics are continuity disasters that ignore and acknowledge things as the creators see fit. And fans either go with it or not. I see no reason why these films can't do the same. Logan is getting praise for a reason. And if someone can't let go of the obsession of having every little thing fit in with some kind of continuity to enjoy a great film, that's their choice and they have the right to it. I just think it's silly and shallow.
    Last edited by GizmotheStark89; 03-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Actually, there's just two timelines (riddled with continuity errors as they may be) so far:
    Old: First Class, DoFP until Wolverine's mind gets sent back, Origins: Wolverine, X1-3, The Wolverine, DoFP dystopian future [probably doesn't have X-Men comics]
    New: First Class, DoFP past, Apocalypse, (New Mutants), (Supernova), Deadpool, (Deadpool 2), (X-Force), DoFP utopian future epilogue, Logan [has X-Men comics]
    See, I disagree with this. For me, regardless of what filmmakers have to say on the matter (If they do), I simpy cannot see 17 year old Cyclops in 1983 being the same Cyclops that we see in the 'happy end' of 2024 (Aged 58!). Same goes for Jean. I know this series has already made characters age really well, but that is simply too much of a stretch for me (58!).
    Last edited by yagha; 03-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.

I find it somewhat poetic that what are likely the two best Foxmen movies focus on the hero and supporting cast at the expense of a "serviceable but not great" villain(s).

Movie was great. A couple huge questionable decisions and "comic book dumb" moments in a movie that tried to get away from it. .. but definitely great. Although not something im eager to rewatch anytime soon because it was so bleak

That deadpool teaser was so out of place

And i cant believe it took 17 years to finally see logan stab someone in the face and now hes dead. Life is cruel
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 03-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html