Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So there's the ceiling.

Similar to how anyone who can overpower Odin's enchantment can mess with Mjolnir, the Lasso of Whatever should be ignorable by anyone who can manage the same with Hephaestus and Co.
    Except when Odin cannot override the magic of the hammer as in now. Or when Darkseid enslaves the entirety of the Greek Pantheon but is himself unable to resist the lasso

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Except when Odin cannot override the magic of the hammer as in now. Or when Darkseid enslaves the entirety of the Greek Pantheon but is himself unable to resist the lasso
    Yes, it's common that spells can be more powerful than the spellcaster(s).

Compare for example with Thor's magical axe that could kill Celestials, I don't think the creator's of the axe was more powerful than them or?

Spectacular Member

Post-War of the worlds, when Diana was fighting Circe in Greece, she tried to lasso Circe and Circe caught the lasso and just laughed at it but later in the fight, I believe Diana warps the lasso around Circe's arm and she did end up speaking her true feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    If that happens consistently, sure.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

If that happens consistently, sure.
    The Lasso has consistantly worked on beings more powerful than a Greek god. who are not actually that powerful in the grand DC scheme of things.
    Last edited by Carabas; 03-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The Lasso has consistantly worked on being more powerful than a Greek god. who are not actually that powerful in the grand DC scheme of things.
    Well good luck figuring out where it draws the line.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

Well good luck figuring out where it draws the line.
    I have never seen the main universe, post-Crisis Lasso draw a line. It's pretty much an absolute, perfect effect.

I have never seen the main universe, post-Crisis Lasso draw a line. It's pretty much an absolute, perfect effect.
    Welcome to the Wonderful World of the No Limits Fallacy, where because the limit of something has never been reached, it thereby has no limit!

But dis ain't how we fly.

It's limit is effectively the highest thing it has been shown to defeat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Welcome to the Wonderful World of the No Limits Fallacy, where because the limit of something has never been reached, it thereby has no limit!

But dis ain't how we fly.

It's limit is effectively the highest thing it has been shown to defeat.
    Wouldn't logically the limit be the lowest thing it has failed to defeat?

Because let's say, hypothetically, the most powerful thing it has defeated was the true Darkseid, and it has not been tried on anything more powerful.
    There is no information about how the Lasso would interact with something more powerful so to just rule it automatically would fail flies in the face of logic.

No, it doesn't.

I'll take your logic and apply it to myself...

I've never been beaten in a fight. Ever. So it stands to reason I can beat anyone in a fight.

OK, so I've never actually been in a fight, but still.... zero defeats.

Equally, we could probably find someone else who's never been in a fight. So they could beat anyone too.

If we fought each other, does that mean we'd both win? If the limit is the lowest person we've each failed to beat, that would be the logical outcome. But it's clearly a load of arse-biscuits because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Take it back to comics. When Sentry appeared, he was kicking everyone's arse. Does that mean he could beat Eternity? Of course not.

And that's why the No Limits Fallacy is a thing.

Has wearing thick armor ever prevented the lasso from effecting people?

I'm not talking about something like Ironman, but maybe Hulk Buster armored Ironman. Would the amount of metal and how thick it is have any effect on the lasso working on Tony inside the armor?

What if somebody is wearing some sort of symbite. Not Venom, where it's bonded to him, but one of those cases where the symbite has taken over somebody. Would the lasso effect both of the or just the symbite itself?

What if a psychic was talking though a person and she wrapped the lasso around them? Would the lasso affect the psychic who isn't actually there or just the person?
    Last edited by Alan2099; 03-05-2017 at 05:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    No, it doesn't.

I'll take your logic and apply it to myself...

I've never been beaten in a fight. Ever. So it stands to reason I can beat anyone in a fight.

OK, so I've never actually been in a fight, but still.... zero defeats.

Equally, we could probably find someone else who's never been in a fight. So they could beat anyone too.

If we fought each other, does that mean we'd both win? If the limit is the lowest person we've each failed to beat, that would be the logical outcome. But it's clearly a load of arse-biscuits because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Take it back to comics. When Sentry appeared, he was kicking everyone's arse. Does that mean he could beat Eternity? Of course not.

And that's why the No Limits Fallacy is a thing.
    The Lasso has been in hundreds of fights.

What are you even talking about?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What if a psychic was talking though a person and she wrapped the lasso around them? Would the lasso affect the psychic who isn't actually there or just the person?
    Probably just the person...who would likely then reveal "I am being controlled/spoken through by a psychic."

Wouldn't logically the limit be the lowest thing it has failed to defeat?

Because let's say, hypothetically, the most powerful thing it has defeated was the true Darkseid, and it has not been tried on anything more powerful.
    There is no information about how the Lasso would interact with something more powerful so to just rule it automatically would fail flies in the face of logic.
    Either the lowest powered being it has failed to work on or, high end feats and all, the most powerful beings it has worked on with reasonable consistency. I have no idea how high on the scale it has succeeded in working on.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Lasso has been in hundreds of fights.

What are you even talking about?
    I know it has. I'm just trying to explain this in simple terms.

Has the lasso (post-Crisis) beaten the Spectre? Has it beaten Zero Hour Parallax? Lucifer Morningstar or Michael? The Presence?

No?

It may not have even faced them. I don't know.

But if it hasn't faced them, we can't assume it would beat them just because everything it's faced up until now it has beaten.

If someone has always knocked out everyone they've ever punched, but everyone they've punched has been a three-year old child, you can't assume that this person would knock out Anthony Joshua just because he has a 100% track record. Because knocking out Anthony Joshua is a different level from knocking out 3-year old children. (I imagine, I hasten to add. )

The lasso may be proven to beat Superman, Martian Manhunter, Despero, Bizarro, Cheetah etc., etc. and it may have a 100% record against everyone at that level (or whatever level it's faced up until now), but that doesn't mean it would beat The Presence. That is the No Limits Fallacy.

So the lasso's limit, until proven otherwise, is the highest level it has so far been proven to defeat.