Amazing Member

Default Why doesn't Bruce use the batwing suit for himself?

I'm talking about the Luke Fox Batwing. I know from a editorial perspective you want Batman to look like Batman and Batwing to be his own character. But is there ever an in-story reason for why Bruce doesn't use the most advanced version of the batsuit? I looked at the Wiki page for this suit and it is insanely advanced.

2961043-batwing+full.jpg

No in story reason that I can recall. It just if Batman was Iron Man Batman then Batwing would have no thing. Not that he has much of a thing as it is. Batman has plenty of Iron Man like Bat suits as his disposal.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 03-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Amazing Member

DC Marketing hasn't caught on yet....shhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    No in story reason that I can recall. It just if Batman was Iron Man Batman then Batwing would have no thing. Not that he has much of a thing as it is. Batman has plenty of Iron Man like Bat suits as his disposal.
    I disagree with this argument because...
    Batman Beyond

Isnt that Iron-Bat-Man already?

Well, Bruce has a prototype of the Beyond suit available if he ever needs it.

I guess you could go with the idea that Bruce just doesn't want to rely so much on tech or the suit like the Batwing armor requires.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I don't think he likes letting his skills go slack, so he doesn't trust on tech beyond the bare necessities (even if his definition of 'the bare necessities' is wildly different than ours) when he can do it himself. My thought on this always goes back to JLA: Foreign Bodies, where a whole bunch of Leaguers switch bodies and he ends up in Clark's: he describes the powers as distracting, since he has to focus to make sure he doesn't get 'lazy' and fall back on them at the expense of his own skills. So while obviously he needs the utility belt and the vehicles, I don't see him busting out straight-up power armor unless absolutely necessary.
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

Considering in the New 52 he is in a robot suit every twenty minutes, I'd say the only in story reason is...he does robot suits when he needs them, he uses normal suits at other times.

He didn't measure it right when he made it and it's too tight in the crotch.

Also it lacks the cape and Bruce loves his cape.

I'd say his skills are honed. He operates better with flexibility and probably finds the suit has pros as well as cons. If he is more skilled in hand to hand and his utility belt, it probably suits him best.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

O'Neil made a good case, a long while back, that in order for Bruce to carry on as Batman it has to be rewarding to him, too. The risk and the simplicity of methods keep him feeling vibrant and alive.

Plus, if you load him up, you get off-message pretty quick
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I do like how Luke's Batwing could nearly pass as a version of the Beyond suit. It gives a "feeling", along with the actual proto-Beyond suit that has been shown a few times, that the Beyond suit is in Batman's future, even if a distant and never-be-seen one.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I don't think he likes letting his skills go slack, so he doesn't trust on tech beyond the bare necessities (even if his definition of 'the bare necessities' is wildly different than ours) when he can do it himself. My thought on this always goes back to JLA: Foreign Bodies, where a whole bunch of Leaguers switch bodies and he ends up in Clark's: he describes the powers as distracting, since he has to focus to make sure he doesn't get 'lazy' and fall back on them at the expense of his own skills. So while obviously he needs the utility belt and the vehicles, I don't see him busting out straight-up power armor unless absolutely necessary.
    This is a good answer. I'll pretend another reason is that a too advanced suit is open to hacking and other potential breakdowns (i.e. unreliability concerns).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-14-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

No matter.. The HELLBAT is the best..