Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

!!!!! 10char
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 01-08-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Warren addresses these things in his weekly newsletter.

I'll get excited when these books have release dates. Still waiting on solicitations for books from last year.

All-New Member

Great. Another round of books that either will hit monumental delays, never be finished, or have the creators bail out well before the story is told.

Image is starting to truly suck.

I don't think that's fair. It happens, sure, but I don't think that's representative of Image as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't think that's fair. It happens, sure, but I don't think that's representative of Image as a whole.
    It happens enough for it to be a problem I think.

All-New Member

It happens a lot. Examples? Black Magick; Injection; Material; Morning Glories; Nowhere Men; Trees; They're Not Like Us. Lazarus is getting into that list now, too. Basically, what I see is creators starting a new book, running through an arc or two, and then leaving the book hanging, while moving onto another #1, with Image or another publisher. Nick Spencer and Warren Ellis are major violators. And Image way over-publishes. Sure, they don't have "New 52" or "Rebirth Events", but they have a billion #1 issues come out in the course of the year and many of those books die mid-stream. Image has great writers, artists and content. They provide DRM-free PDFs for digital purchases; they drop the price-point of digital back issues after a month or two; and they have excellent sales on Comixology and support Humble Bundle. All good things. But I read comics serially, and I need consistent releases or I lose interest. And, with Image titles, you have no idea when/if the arc/title will wrap up, so you can't plan to wait for the trade.

It's very frustrating. To be honest, Aftershock, Black Mask, Boom, IDW, Oni and Vertigo have comparable content and publish on regular release intervals. Which is why I'm starting to abandon Image, which is too bad, because I enjoy reading the titles.

Never said it didn't happen, or that it isn't a problem. I just don't think throwing the baby out with the bath water is ever very smart. Image publish plenty of books that don't have those issues.

All-New Member

I get your point. But, it's a problem for me because I only read 8-10 Image titles at a time, and they consistently go off the rails. I only listed the titles I could recall off-hand but I know there are at least another 1/2-dozen in the same situation. This doesn't happen with Boom or Vertigo. And Image is getting worse, not better. I feel like, if I invest time and cash into a story, there's an implicit agreement with the creators to complete the story unless sales kills the book.

That said, yeah, I can just drop Image titles, and that's probably the next step. But I spent a good deal of money on Image titles last year, and I'd like to keep reading -- the quality is there -- but I'm tired off being strung out waiting for releases.

I understand. Trees will be back. Ellis wasn't happy with his drafts for the third arc, so he's reworking it.

I don't have a problem with time between arcs. I've waited 3 years for Casanova to return. It's a bummer, but I can handle it. I'm dedicated to that book.

I disagree with the implicit agreement. Does that go both ways? If a reader starts a series, there's no implicit agreement they'll stick around to finish it, even if it hits no delays. I've always said you paid for an issue, that's all you get. You're not entitled to anything else. You paid the asking price for an item, not a contract for a series. You know?

I disagree with the implicit agreement. Does that go both ways? If a reader starts a series, there's no implicit agreement they'll stick around to finish it, even if it hits no delays. I've always said you paid for an issue, that's all you get. You're not entitled to anything else. You paid the asking price for an item, not a contract for a series. You know?
    A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin. Ugh.

Most Image titles are better read as complete story arcs anyway so for most others I read, I just purchase trades.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

All-New Member

I understand. Trees will be back. Ellis wasn't happy with his drafts for the third arc, so he's reworking it.

I don't have a problem with time between arcs. I've waited 3 years for Casanova to return. It's a bummer, but I can handle it. I'm dedicated to that book.

That's a valid point. I will certainly drop a book if I stop enjoying it, so maybe there is no mutual contract. Maybe it's more like this: if there are creators who consistently excel and maintain consistent release, they'll continue to get my fanship and $$$. Creators, however great they may be, who consistently give up on projects mid-stream lose my patronage. Maybe that's the only leverage I have and it's maybe not much leverage. There are enough fine creators (e.g. Jeff Lemire) who bring things to conclusion that I'm glad to support them and avoid the Nick Spencers and even Warren Ellises of the industry (and I love Ellis but I think he's spread too thin and it hurts his ability to delivery on books in progress).

Amazing Member

Agree with most everyone, not too much exciting for me. I want Morning Glories, Mind the Gap, and Witches to return dammit......and No Place Like Home, I really loved that series.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by abysslord View Post
    Agree with most everyone, not too much exciting for me. I want Morning Glories, Mind the Gap, and Witches to return dammit......and No Place Like Home, I really loved that series.
    I second Morning Glories. There is a lot unresolved...

Have to agree with what most of you guys are saying, a lot of unremarkable looking/sounding books in that line up.

I'll probably check out the Tradd book for the art and Shirtless Bear Fighter because it sounds like it might be fun.

Would it kill Image to re-invest in their Superhero Universe now that Invincible is ending?