Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Spider Island. Any good?

Just wondering if Spider Island is a decent read it or is it kind of dumb?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Depends upon which one you're talking about......

Are you referring to the SI Event that happened within AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OR the 5 Issue Mini-Series that was a part of SECRET WARS...?!?

The original storyline is pretty damn good. It's become a mainstay of "Best Of" lists.

The mini-series is a decent extended What If?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

How should I know. I dont keep track of how many versions of weird stuff like that goes on. I just got back into buying comic books last year and still trying to catch up on old stuff recently this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Depends upon which one you're talking about......

Are you referring to the SI Event that happened within AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OR the 5 Issue Mini-Series that was a part of SECRET WARS...?!?

BANNED

Last time I was at the comic book shop was like 2 or 3 months ago and saw some trade paperback of the Spider Island on sale.

I guess Im asking about the more recent Spider Island where everyone has Spider man type abilities and they need a cure before they're turned into giant spiders or whatever

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Last time I was at the comic book shop was like 2 or 3 months ago and saw some trade paperback of the Spider Island on sale.

I guess Im asking about the more recent Spider Island where everyone has Spider man type abilities and they need a cure before they're turned into giant spiders or whatever
    In terms of chronology, the more recent Spider-Island would be the Secret Wars miniseries from 2015 exploring what would have happened if Anti-Venom hadn't existed to derive a cure to the Spider-Virus from, which is available in TPB, while the original Spider-Island was an event within the Amazing Spider-Man comic series back in 2011 (plus a four-part tie-in arc in Venom and various miniseries and one-shots expanding on other characters' roles and actions within the Spider-Island event).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The main Spider-Island arc is Amazing Spider-Man #666-673. That's the one you're thinking about that everyone talks about being really good.

Then there's was an alternate universe Spider-Island mini-series that took place during Secret Wars. Haven't heard a lot of people talk about that one.

Astonishing Member

Are you serious? "Spider-Island" is one of the greatest Spider-Stories of all time, both the original collection and the version from Secret Wars!!!

BANNED

I found it to be a bloated mess of a story, in the usual now-familiar overblown style of the writer on the series.

It also contains some of the worst art ever seen in the pages of ASM by Ramos (though the bookending chapters drawn by Stefeno Caselli are outstanding).

Your mileage may vary of course. Only good things about it as a story in my view that it did were bringing back Kaine, getting Carlie Cooper out of the picture, and doing away with the "psychic blindspot" nonsense.

BANNED

Its one of the greatest Spider-Man stories of all-time, and the only "epic" Spider-Man event that truly worked without compromises.

BANNED

I actually think the Secret Wars version is a better story, (and ranks up there with my favourite Flash stories ever)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-05-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

Slott's stories are hit or miss, but the main Spider Island series was awesome and I heartily recommend it.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    Slott's stories are hit or miss, but the main Spider Island series was awesome and I heartily recommend it.
    Sums up my opinion perfectly.

BANNED

Just to make it clear since other people here are confused about what Im talking about of the Spider Island in trade paperback.

Theres only one Spider Island story that I know of. People in New York/Manhattan are gaining Spider Man type abilities but if they dont get cured, they turn into giant spiders. J Jonah Jameson becomes a weird Spider Mayor or whatever.

There are two Spider-Island trades. This is the one you're talking about.
    https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Sp...+Spider-Island

The Secret Wars mini-series released afterwards is this one
    https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Island...sland+Warzones