Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is Marvel seriously charging $10 for ASM # 25????

I looked around to see if this discussion had been posted and I couldn't find anything, so if it has, then my apologies.

The title says it all really. I read this over at bleedingcool.

If it's true then I guess I'm dropping after issue 24. I'm OK with SM right now but I'm not paying this and I don't give a shit if it's 96 pages.

did you expect a 96 page book for 3.99 or.... ?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'm guessing he wasn't expecting an almost quintuple-sized regular monthly issue.

It's a shady move. It's like cable bundling. They could release a special for all the additional content . . . but less people would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    No, I did not. I also don't want a 96-page book where half of it is probably some shitty throw away story by someone they're trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm guessing he wasn't expecting an almost quintuple-sized regular monthly issue.

It's a shady move. It's like cable bundling. They could release a special for all the additional content . . . but less people would buy it.
    Exactly. They could have released this as a special or an annual. Oh, wait, no one buys those.

So, it's just a regular issue with extra content (hence the higher price)? It's reasons like this that I stick to trades 99.99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, it's just a regular issue with extra content (hence the higher price)? It's reasons like this that I stick to trades 99.99% of the time.
    Slott's main story is 40 pages long, which is double the regular size.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/12/...to-spider-man/

There will also be an additional story by Dan Slott and Giuseppi Camuncoli.

If you think 20 pages of Slott and good artists is worth 4 bucks, you'll get approximately 50 pages of Slott and good artists for 10 bucks, in addition to the ancillary material.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

If you think 20 pages of Slott and good artists is worth 4 bucks, you'll get approximately 50 pages of Slott and good artists for 10 bucks, in addition to the ancillary material.
    Yeah, it's a steep price but on the other hand the issue is loaded. I actually like it when Marvel does these giant-ass issues. If they did it all the time, no, my wallet couldn't take it. But for anniversary issues or whatever I don't mind shelling out a little extra $ if the content is worth it. I'm definitely stoked for this particular issue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I looked around to see if this discussion had been posted and I couldn't find anything, so if it has, then my apologies.

The title says it all really. I read this over at bleedingcool.

If it's true then I guess I'm dropping after issue 24. I'm OK with SM right now but I'm not paying this and I don't give a shit if it's 96 pages.
    Also, look at the wider context Bleeding Cool reported. Retailers who are getting lots are getting big discount. So... try haggling.

Considering I can get six or seven issues worth of comics in a trade paperback for double the price of this one double issue, that's a pretty bad deal. Heck, older trade paperbacks can get you whole miniseries for the price of this one comic.

BANNED

Considering I can get six or seven issues worth of comics in a trade paperback for double the price of this one double issue, that's a pretty bad deal. Heck, older trade paperbacks can get you whole miniseries for the price of this one comic.
    Yes, I just bought an old trade of the Alien Costume Saga from '88 for nine bucks. All issues I already own, of course, but I love the look and feel of those old trades and at nine bucks it was a steal. But do I feel ripped off by paying $9.99 for a new ASM? No. One, the subscriber discount my LCS offers means that I'm not paying cover price to begin with. Two, it's all new material. If I wait I could get it cheaper either digitally on Marvel Unlimited or in an eventual trade or whatever but my interest in the story means I don't mind with parting with an extra buck or two in order to read it NOW.

Everyone is free to make their own choices but this one is easy for me not to get hung up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Also, look at the wider context Bleeding Cool reported. Retailers who are getting lots are getting big discount. So... try haggling.
    Naw, I'm just not going to buy it. I think only a few people get it. You can justify it with "oh it's more pages," or "oh it's two Slott stories," but the truth of it, is it's a greedy ass BS move, especially when Marvel already charges more than on average than the other companies.

On a side note, thanks for the article. I might have blindly purchased this.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

It is going to cut into my budget for that week that's for certain. Hopefully I'll be able to get all the other comics I want that week.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

$10 for a comic?? LOL!! NEVER!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It is four issues worth of content, though. It's two and a half issues worth of material by Slott. And it's new material.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It is four issues worth of content, though. It's two and a half issues worth of material by Slott. And it's new material.
    Yeah not really an apt comparison

2.5 issues of asm would be 10 bucks ish alone if it came out in a normal way instead of all at once

Its actually a better value by far than an avg floppy
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html