Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    This is not a thing. There is NO reversal of OMD coming.
    Oh, thank God.

I will say, though, that I wouldn't mind an ASM/RYV crossover.

[QUOTE=rward777;2658366]
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    That and Slott said that Peter was dead and will never come back during SSM. And he originally claimed that CC would be about raising the dead and the main villian would be a new character we never seen before.
    Well, avoiding spoiling the ending to a story is different than trying to mislead people about whether or not you're making a change to the status quo.

Of course no one was going to say that Peter was coming back during SSM (although it was probably smart to assume he eventually would) and CC was, in the eyes of The Jackal, about raising the dead, and as you could make a case that we've never seen *this* Ben Reilly before, he was someone new, in a manner of speaking.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    And he originally claimed that CC would be about raising the dead and the main villian would be a new character we never seen before.
    CC was about raising the dead.
    Can you please show me the quote about the "new character we've never seen before"?
    I have no memory of saying anything even close to that.

Incredible Member

Well since you said in an interview you have no plans for bringing Ben back in CC as he was turned into goo or dust you will understand why some will take that statement with a pinch of salt.
    I was very careful about that. Despite how any sites reported it, when I was on panels or giving interviews, when someone would say "Are you bringing back Ben Reilly?" I would duck the question by saying, "How is that going to happen? The last time we saw him he was goo. How are you supposed to bring back goo?" Or "Do you expect me to bring back goo? It's pretty hard to work with goo." Or something to that effect. My answer always ducked the question and then answered it with a question.

Part of my job is to keep things a secret. And I'm not going to spoil a 250+ page story that hasn't seen print yet because someone asked me a question on a panel at a comic convention. Fair, right?

With the "Is Peter dead?" questions during Superior Spider-Man... Yeah. I bald-faced lied about that. No question about it. But for over 8 years and over 150 issues of Spider-Man, I think I get one pass. :-P

I'm waiting on Aunt May saying to Peter "Aha...After all these years I can now reveal my true identity!" while she removes her mask to reveal Norman Osborn as the true mastermind behind all those tainted wheat cakes.
    Hail Hydra!

Fantastic Member

can the game changer be Norman and spiderman actually having to work with each other for one reason or another or will it be peter snapping after gg taunts him the umpteenth time about Gwen's death and he snaps as he has just watched her clone die heroically stalling goblin clones and tries to kill him or actually let's him die? anything else would be been there done that.
    Yes! That would be lovely ...

All that's left is fighting over Bens grave after he kills and eats May, while wearing her skin as a goblin suit.. He's earned a paddlin and a half... But all we get is Spidey shaking his fist at the sky

Is there a list of things Norman has done to Pete over the years (and Harry)?

Can wrap it in a PSA about bullying - at least reenact the hammer/balls scene from The Immortals with a sharp Spidey quip about his legacy ... We've earned that lol

Mighty Member

And RYV is another universe.

Again, RYV is another universe.
    This is not a thing with the core character.
    There HAVE been changes (game changers) that have stuck.
    Is Parker Industries ending after Osborn Identity and secret empire?

You guys at Marvel really don't want my money, then?

Okay, on a serious note, between Star Wars, the RYV Spider-Man material, and the movies, you do want some of my money and I'll gladly give it in those cases. But, the OMD status quo is the number one reason that I'm never buying post-2007 616 comics (and very few pre-2007 616 comics) period.

Again, RYV is another universe.
    I'm actually kind of glad it is, since it allows it to be it's own thing and not need to get caught up in events and other stuff that the main series get subjected to.

This is not a thing with the core character.
    Funny. The RYV Spider-Man feels a lot more like the real character to me and pretty much were I wish the 616 series had gone, as opposed to OMD, Big Time, Parker Industries, and the like. I always liked the more down-to-earth parts of the franchise best, for one thing. Also, as I recall, you've said in the past that with some of the more extreme changes to the Spider-Man comics, your idea was to make something that readers didn't know they wanted until they read it? Well, Spider-Man being a father was that for me.

There HAVE been changes (game changers) that have stuck.
    True. The majority of your run, you've been the main director of the stories the comics tell (barring your bosses having veto power), so you have near total control over where the story goes, what goes, what stays, etc. I think the bigger question is, when you retire from the series, how much of what you've added and left intact will stay in place and how much will be undone by later writers? In other words, will your run change the character forever, or will later writers essentially ignore it, or some combination thereof? (My theory is that stuff will eventually go back to the Brand New Day settings, at least.)

This is true. And you'll find out in 7 days.
    Hope it works the way it's supposed to. Although I suppose if it does, then I won't be especially happy, but, it doesn't, then you won't be especially happy. Can't please everyone, right?

Not all. There are stories in there written by Christos Gage (which will have an affect on ASM down-the-road), James Asmus (which will also have some ramifications in later ASM stories), as well as some fun tales by Jacob Chabot, and indie-star Hannah Blumenreich.

Hannah's story is magical and worth the price of admission alone.
    Nice to hear that those who buy the issue will be getting the most for their ten bucks. But, I'll pass, thanks; I need those ten bucks to fund my Star Wars habit, with the Rogue One BluRay coming out and all.

And, for Pete's sake, 40 pages of the art for ASM #25 is by Stuart Immonen-- and if you think that's "throwaway-worthy", you're clinically insane.
    Not really enough for me. The writing and stories are the bigger draw for me than the art, and there's nothing here I want right now.

Immonen did some decent stuff with Ultimate Spider-Man, but, to be honest, I don't like his stuff was well as Mark Bagley (Ultimate Spider-Man), JK Woodward (Assimilation Squared, The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay, Alex Ross Marvels, Adam Kubert Renew Your Vows miniseries, or Ryan Stegman (Renew Your Vows) ongoing. Immonen's work is distinct and the more sketchbook look does have things going for it, but it's a little too undefined for me.

Sorry you feel that way. But as long as ASM maintains its spot as Marvel's best selling super hero title, they're probably going to remain happy with the results and stick with with me.
    Hope it goes well for you, but I think I'll stick with the other stuff for the time being. It's more my speed.

To be fair, with that attitude, you would've hated every bit of hyperbole Stan would use on every single issue of Spider-Man from day one.

Fair?
    Can't speak for the other guy, but the thing for me is that the sheer number of events and big stories per year that Spidey gets is a turn off. Looking at it from a distance, it seems like ASM has become a series of events, with connective tissue to set up the next one. I'd honestly prefer a series were events were rare and the series was allowed to slow down a little. I don't like events much at all, really; they interrupt the stories I want to read, force me to read or buy comics I don't give a hoot about or don't want to read, and I find the plots are rarely ones I want to read period. It's like all the bad of the MCU's interconnectedness with none of the good stuff that make it worth it.

CC was about raising the dead.
    You really lost me here. As I understood it, the Jackal/Ben Reilly clone thought he was resurrecting people, but he was using a variation of standard Jackal cloning to do it. Cloning is creating a genetic copy of something, meaning its a different person (in fact, identical twins are clones). So, if you clones someone and gave them the memories of the donor, all you did was brainwash someone into thinking they're someone else. Of course, I still don't get how the Doc Ock cloning worked, given that that clone was somehow inhabited by an AI that was programmed into thinking it was Doc Ock, since the not-so-good doctor did that. (Maybe I'm weird, but if someone's idea of offering me a way to cheat death meant them brainwashing someone else into thinking they were me, I'd pass; it wouldn't do me any good; I'd still die anyways.)

(On top of all that, the Marvel Universe has a Heaven and a Hell. Characters who'd died had their souls already entered into one or the other. I think it's safe to say that a true resurrection would require the persons soul to be brought back to the land of the living and re-housed in a body. How could mere comic book cloning get the soul back from the afterlife, if all it is is copying DNA and memories?)

Part of my job is to keep things a secret. And I'm not going to spoil a 250+ page story that hasn't seen print yet because someone asked me a question on a panel at a comic convention. Fair, right?
    I think so?

With the "Is Peter dead?" questions during Superior Spider-Man... Yeah. I bald-faced lied about that. No question about it. But for over 8 years and over 150 issues of Spider-Man, I think I get one pass. :-P
    Maybe, but it does mean that people are less likely to take future statements at face value; you might be telling the truth, but then again, you might just be making something up to keep the mystery box going. Personally, I prefer a "no comment; read the book to find out" over "I'm going to lie to keep the surprise" (although, to be fair I have mislead people like that when running RPG campaigns, so I can't exactly point fingers).

(FIY, as always in matters of subjectivity, your mileage may vary.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 03-09-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Mighty Member

I wonder if in secret empire, there will be a reality change that will wipe Parker Industries out of existence.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=theoneandonly;2658349]
    And RYV is another universe.

Well since you said in an interview you have no plans for bringing Ben back in CC as he was turned into goo or dust you will understand why some will take that statement with a pinch of salt.
    Which is why it is hard to believe what Slott says these days. What he said about omd may be true, but it is hard to determine with his history of lies and misdirections.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    Yes! That would be lovely ...

All that's left is fighting over Bens grave after he kills and eats May, while wearing her skin as a goblin suit.. He's earned a paddlin and a half... But all we get is Spidey shaking his fist at the sky

Is there a list of things Norman has done to Pete over the years (and Harry)?

Can wrap it in a PSA about bullying - at least reenact the hammer/balls scene from The Immortals with a sharp Spidey quip about his legacy ... We've earned that lol
    well whatever gets you through for the day. seriously though what else can be a game changer as marvel will never actually allow him to kill gg all we can get is Batman hush type scenario where he almost kills him but is stopped by someone. anything else will have a jaded effect as they have almost done everything that arch enemies can do to each other unless you can suggest something else which is highly doubtful.

BANNED

[QUOTE=rward777;2659111]

Which is why it is hard to believe what Slott says these days. What he said about omd may be true, but it is hard to determine with his history of lies and misdirections.
    yes I am taking the statement with a pinch of salt as he can mean that we won't be revisiting OMD but will be completely erasing it to having never happened or just adding another layer to it just like he copped out of answering the Ben question although it seems he must protect his story so its excusable. Everyone who has read spiderman stories always will have questions needing answers as they can predict the "gamechangsrs" before the story sees print.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=theoneandonly;2659162]

yes I am taking the statement with a pinch of salt as he can mean that we won't be revisiting OMD but will be completely erasing it to having never happened or just adding another layer to it just like he copped out of answering the Ben question although it seems he must protect his story so its excusable. Everyone who has read spiderman stories always will have questions needing answers as they can predict the "gamechangsrs" before the story sees print.
    With bleeding cools announcement about marvel going back to basics after secret empire, I expect MJ to be a part of Peter's life again as at least as a friend.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=theoneandonly;2659162]

Could be the reality change via cosmic cube in secret empire.

I wonder if in secret empire, there will be a reality change that will wipe Parker Industries out of existence.
    I really hope it doesn't end with Kobik just rewriting everything and that's how characters get back to a "status quo". That would be the biggest cop out....
    At least the ending in Civil War II didn't do something like that to solve everything, it was just a lazy way of getting rid of Ulssyes.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I'm waiting on Aunt May saying to Peter "Aha...After all these years I can now reveal my true identity!" while she removes her mask to reveal Norman Osborn as the true mastermind behind all those tainted wheat cakes.
    LMAO. I think I would literally die laughing my ass off if that happened.