Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Exclamation The Gentleman with the Seismic Stomp: Gorgon (Gorgon Petragon) Appreciation

GORGON PETRAGON APPRECIATION

SECRET IDENTITY:

GORGON PETRAGON - Alias: GORGON!

ORIGIN:
    A member of the Inhuman Royal Family and leader of the Royal Guard, Gorgon is the head of Attilan's Military forces. After undergoing the transformative process of Terrigenesis and unlocking his own hidden genetic gifts, Gorgon emerged with goat-like legs and super strength. These powers aid him in the field of battle and make him one of the strongest and deadliest of all known Inhumans. During Medusa's amnesiac days aligned with the Frightful Four, Gorgon was sent out into the human world to retrieve her. As such, he was one of the first modern Inhumans to make contact with humanity on Earth when he encountered the Fantastic Four, whom the Royals later befriended. Gorgon's assets go beyond his brute strength though, as he's also a master thinker and strategist. His role within the government and military of Attilan is crucial to their continuance in a world full of potential enhanced threats. His will to always fight harder than any opponent was greatly tested after an assassination attempt by the villainous Lineage, whose actions confined him to a wheelchair for many months. But, true to his spirit, Gorgon proved himself unable to submit even when without his powers. With the help of a NuHuman named Ash, Gorgon was able to conquer his paralysis and live to stomp another day—reunited with his son, Petras.

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
    Like the other Royals, enhanced breeding makes Gorgon's Inhuman powers among the strongest of his entire species. His goat-like legs are able to produce seismic shockwaves whenever he stomps them mightily. He's also incredibly strong and has been known to lift objects up to 2.5 tons, though his true limits have yet to be tested. His hide-like flesh is also extremely resilient, making him capable of taking lots of blunt impact without so much as a flich. He's also faster, more agile, and can heal much quicker than a normal human. One thing's for sure, you don't want to find yourself in a fight with the almighty Gorgon!

CURRENT ADVENTURES:
    You can bear witness to the might of Gorgon in the pages of Al Ewing's Royals, part of Marvel's ResurrXion line! And in the crossover event Inhumans VS X-Men, written by Charles Soule and Jeff Lemire!

First Appearance: Fantastic Four - Vol. 1 #44 (1965).
    Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Finally there's an appreciation thread for my favorite royal!!

(I kept meaning to make one and never did so i'm glad someone has lol)

I'm not sure he'll have much of a role in the end of IvX though since he's currently still in limbo after losing to Colossus and everyone is probably too busy or not inclined to bring him back to earth. But hopefully we'll see him in Inhumans Prime because i want to see him interact with Karnak and Petras specifically before Royals starts.

I really hope Petras shows up in Royals at some point. I think there is a ton of story to mine with Gorgon and his father issues. (I also wouldn't mind seeing the entire next generation of royal family become more important. Ahura, Luna and Petras should have their relationships with each other, and Inhuman society more generally built up. Will the nuhumans respect a dynastic monarchy past the first generation who gained their trust for instance? How would Petras interact with those Gorgon trained like Inferno, considering he was a bit more of a father figure to them than Petras)
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Eldrac the Door transports you wherever you need to be. Maybe, in the fall of Attilan, he sent Alecto to her (inexplicably evolving?) Alpha lover?

If they explore Petras' story, I hope we get some more Alecto too. And Luna. And Ahura, of course.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I really hope Petras shows up in Royals at some point. I think there is a ton of story to mine with Gorgon and his father issues. (I also wouldn't mind seeing the entire next generation of royal family become more important. Ahura, Luna and Petras should have their relationships with each other, and Inhuman society more generally built up. Will the nuhumans respect a dynastic monarchy past the first generation who gained their trust for instance? How would Petras interact with those Gorgon trained like Inferno, considering he was a bit more of a father figure to them than Petras)
    I would love more focus on the bolded, yes! And not just showing Gorgon navigating relationships with his biokids, but also kids like Tonaja and Flint who he's been such a strong father-figure toward that I basically consider them as his kids too. (Dante's older so I see him less like one of the kids - but he and Gorgon were really good friends until Inhuman ended and they never interacted again)

Maybe once Royals gets back to earth Petras will show up (or alternately he could show up in Secret Warriors if Ahura & Luna do as well). And it would be great if the royal kids (Alecto included) were shown interacting with one another & were built up more as their own characters and not just the kids of the Attilan royal family.

And since we should have the casting news in here too:

Eme Ikwuakor as Gorgon: Cousin of Black Bolt (Anson Mount), member of the Royal family, and leader of Attilan’s military. With super strong legs, complete with hooves, he can generate destructive seismic waves with a single stomp. The ying to his cousin Karnak’s (Ken Leung) yang, Gorgon would rather fight than talk to solve his problems.

yes.jpg
    a few thoughts:

• I don't think they'll do a full beard like in the comics but at least that much facial hair should be a must
    • re: costumes I'd personally like it based on either the Jenkins/Lee redesign or the Realm of Kings design - anything current isn't worth using imo
    • I'm really really glad that Karnak got mentioned in Gorgon's bio because it gives me hope that the show will go back to their classic friendship instead of what we're getting currently in the comics

I like the choice. I haven't seen him in anything (though I know he was in Concussion). He's got the whole brutish, big and bulky vibe down. And with the facial hair I actually think his face looks a lot like Gorgon. Can't wait to see him in costume, I hope they use one of the two in the OP collage I used. I think those are easily the two best designs the character has ever had.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    I like the choice. I haven't seen him in anything (though I know he was in Concussion). He's got the whole brutish, big and bulky vibe down. And with the facial hair I actually think his face looks a lot like Gorgon. Can't wait to see him in costume, I hope they use one of the two in the OP collage I used. I think those are easily the two best designs the character has ever had.
    The one in the middle is what I mean by the Realm of Kings design! And I agree it's one of his best designs clothing-wise.

But I'll also champion for bringing this outfit back at any and every opportunity:

so look who's come out for a drink.jpg

Royals1-P8rev.jpg

Royals #1 inks.

love the detail on Gorgon’s hoof & also Medusa's reactions
    don't love seeing him get taken out easily but should probably expect it

Yeah, IVX is like an apology letter to X-Men fans. I expected the Inhumans to get beat down a lot, though I did like Inferno actually taking out the Wolverine (even if it was actually Old Man Logan)! Though, in Gorgon's defense, he hasn't really been in battle using his powers for a while since recovering from paralysis. I'd chock the defeat up to him not being on his A-game, at partially.

Also, I love Meyer's art and I can't wait to get my hands on Royals and that Inhumans Prime one-shot! Gorgon and everyone else looks fantastic (including that flashback panel)!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Yeah, IVX is like an apology letter to X-Men fans. I expected the Inhumans to get beat down a lot, though I did like Inferno actually taking out the Wolverine (even if it was actually Old Man Logan)! Though, in Gorgon's defense, he hasn't really been in battle using his powers for a while since recovering from paralysis. I'd chock the defeat up to him not being on his A-game, at partially.

Also, I love Meyer's art and I can't wait to get my hands on Royals and that Inhumans Prime one-shot! Gorgon and everyone else looks fantastic (including that flashback panel)!
    yeah, I was expecting him to lose to Colossus because it was one of his first fights post-injury and because Colossus has metal skin and Gorgon... doesn't. and it looks like my theory that using his powers exacerbates his pain issues is confirmed so I'm expecting him to go down in fights often going forward (or at least struggle a lot with them :\).

the full description from Ewing seems like he really gets the character, my feelings about Gorgon being a widower aside:

GORGON
    “[He] has served as a faithful man-at-arms for both Medusa and Black Bolt since his youth—and with his hooves that can shatter concrete and cause earthquakes with every stomp, he has done his job well,” the writer affirms. “But he’s getting older, and recent injuries have left him unable to use his gift—and some days, even move—without severe pain. But as a widower with an estranged daughter and a son in a coma—after he failed them both—he has become used to hiding the pain he feels.”

previews from Royals #2 ( i like how he's been portrayed so far & love seeing him hang out with Flint again)

20170413_235214.jpg

20170413_235145.jpg

I just feel the need to say, wow, I freakin' LOVE Eme's portrayal of Gorgon based on what we've seen so far. All the interviews and the SDCC panels shows he and Ken (the actor who plays Karnak) really have that relationship of brute vs intellectual down perfectly! Also from the trailer: goat legs!

MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

I just feel the need to say, wow, I freakin' LOVE Eme's portrayal of Gorgon based on what we've seen so far. All the interviews and the SDCC panels shows he and Ken (the actor who plays Karnak) really have that relationship of brute vs intellectual down perfectly! Also from the trailer: goat legs!

I do too! Like honestly I'm happier with everything I've seen/heard regarding Gorgon in the show than what's happening with him in Royals recently.

Does anyone know if his legs are CGI or practical with CGI added to make them look more realistic?

Either way, I'm digging the look!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES: