Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Deathstroke #14 preview

http://comicbook.com/2017/03/01/excl...athstroke-14/1

spoilers:
    Oh Joey, someone needs to intervene and get him some help. So Etienne is spying on Joey but not for Adeline? And she's really in love with him but sleeping with Slade? And Slade is doing this to maybe protect Joey in his own twisted way? God I love how messed up Slade is. Love that Raptor put his own logo on the suit, lol. Rose-Hosun is funny, I look forward to seeing where they take that story. Wen am I getting Billy Wintergreen back though?
    end of spoilers

Slade's a bastard, and that chick is a whack-a-do.

This is a twisted tale and every member of the cast is clearly a bit crazy.

But damn if Christopher Priest doesn't make it fun, interesting and convincing!

Also, the art by Joe Bennett, Norm Rapmund and Jeromy Cox is very nice here. I prefer Rapmund's inks on Bennett's pencils a whole lot more than Mark Morales' inks. Bennett's art is slicker with Rapmund and I like that look better.

I usually hate villain-led titles. But Priest is such a talented writer that he turns in inspired scripts that somehow manage to make Slade Wilson a likable anti-hero without diluting his power, intimidation and reputation as a villain. That is no small feat; it's a major creative accomplishment.

BANNED

This is seriously messed up, Slade's lack of any care in the world just makes it comical.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    This is seriously messed up, Slade's lack of any care in the world just makes it comical.
    LOL, isn't that bizarre and cool at the same time?

I don't know how Priest makes it work the ingenious way he does. But he does! This book is actually goddamn funny and inventive!

Totally not what I was expecting at all. What a nice surprise!

The preview is not working for me. I can see it, but I can't read it.
    #MagnetoWasRight

When this book started Priest said that he wasn't going to write Slade as an "anti-hero". Deathstroke is a villain and that's how he was going to write him. I was a bit skeptical if that would work but damn it if he hasn't pulled it off. Slade is still a total bastard but the book has been so enjoyable. It's sometimes difficult to do but there have been a number of great shows/movies/books where the main character is a villain. Breaking Bad immediately comes to mind. Slade is an unapologetic asshole but he still loves his family. he just shows it in his usual messed up way.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-06-2017 at 01:22 AM.

I'm glad that Priest is writing Slade as a villain and not as an anti-hero. I'm actually liking this and it's probably the best Rebirth title in my opinion. Too bad that the sales are going down. I hope it will not be shifted to a monthly issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    When this book started Priest said that he wasn't going to write Slade as an "anti-hero". Deathstroke is a villain and that's how he was going to write him. I was a bit skeptical if that would work but damn it if he hasn't pulled it off. Slade is still a total bastard but the book has been so enjoyable. It's sometimes difficult to do but there have been a number of great shows/movies/books where the main character is a villain. Breaking Bad immediately comes to mind. Slade is an unapologetic asshole but he still loves his family. he just shows it in his usual messed up way.
    This is much MORE daring, though, than Breaking Bad, because Breaking Bad eased you into it; it was about the transition of a good man into bad, a journey of inches. You were meant to like Walter White in the beginning -- he was extremely sympathetic.

This is much more like Sopranos, where everyone is some degree of monster from the start, but they're HUMAN monsters, and that's what makes them interesting, and what gets you invested.

That's one bastard I love to read, Priest isn't pulling any punchs with Slade. Or anyone for that matter, all characters are well written and compelling.

I just wish Priest could write more books, his Batman was great, or even Red Lion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    The preview is not working for me. I can see it, but I can't read it.
    Weird, it's working for me. Did you press 'start photo gallery' ? The images are at the bottom, or you can move with the arrows.

wait... is Slade cucking his son?

What is goign on here lol????
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedKnight00
    That's one bastard I love to read, Priest isn't pulling any punchs with Slade. Or anyone for that matter, all characters are well written and compelling.
    That is what makes Priest's Deathstroke a unique and entertaining read. His characterization and plots are twisted yet logical and believable and keep you entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    This is much MORE daring, though, than Breaking Bad, because Breaking Bad eased you into it; it was about the transition of a good man into bad, a journey of inches. You were meant to like Walter White in the beginning -- he was extremely sympathetic.

This is much more like Sopranos, where everyone is some degree of monster from the start, but they're HUMAN monsters, and that's what makes them interesting, and what gets you invested.
    That last part really hits the nail on the head. You've captured why Priest's Deathstroke is so creatively successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    But damn if Christopher Priest doesn't make it fun, interesting and convincing!
    You are right.

Quote Originally Posted by RedKnight00 View Post

I just wish Priest could write more books, his Batman was great, or even Red Lion.
    Priest was with Batman? When? I like his deathstroke.
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-06-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Priest was with Batman? When? I like his deathstroke.
    Not really, but Batman was the antagonist (and that sounds very weird) in an arc and they engaged in a glorious prep war.