View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Power level wise, Vixen is completely perfect for the JL pantheon. I don't think there should be any doubt in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Lol. Sorry, I'm not super versed in Vixen lore. The idea that she could channel superman's powers is hilarious though. So she can basically mimic the powers of an creature, humanoid or otherwise? That's kind of ridiculous.
    Wait, so you claim Vixen's abilities basically doesn't make her worthy, but make up an excuse for why Batman non-ability butt is worthy using the reason that it's his popularity when in fact that only explains why he's on the team and not why it makes sense for a human with no physical ability to fight against characters with god like abilities.

Then when explained what Vixen has been capable of and that she could potentially go toe to toe with Darkseid and others, it's too ridiculous but your excuse for Batman wasn't ridiculous enough to stop you from using it; all the while in the same breath you say you don't know much about her.

Put some respect in her name, learn about her abilities and what she's capable of and then we can debate on whether she's worthy to be in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Power level wise, Vixen is completely perfect for the JL pantheon. I don't think there should be any doubt in that regard.
    It shouldn't be questioned tbh.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 03-29-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Astonishing Member

Vixen's powers can be pretty unstoppable. So there's no reason to act liek she's not powerful when done well or shown at her max potential.

They're not all that different than Animal Man's and while it might go against her animal theme she CAN channel alien animals and the like as well, just like he can. Hell, in at least two cases she even channelled dragons since in the DCU they are animals that exist there (at least one of which was part of normal continuity back in a JLA 80 Page Giant or somesuch).

Think the timing's relevant to bump this thread as the same conversations are taking place in multiple threads. Also, people who didn't get the chance to vote the last time can now vote.

Sorry but I don't think this topic is as progressive as it seems to want to be. Actually, it seems to be borderline offensive.

Why should there be one premiere person of color in the DCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Sorry but I don't think this topic is as progressive as it seems to want to be. Actually, it seems to be borderline offensive.

Why should there be one premiere person of color in the DCU?
    It's a spelling mistake as I indicated in the first post. I meant premier, not premiere.

Meaning of premier: first in importance, order, or position; leading.

Like how Wonder Woman is the premier DC superheroine. Doesn't mean she's the only popular DC female superhero.

I feel like there should be more than one black superhero on the Jl.

If there needs to be the big 7 I'd probably use Vixen and Black Lightning instead of Aquaman and Martian Manhunter. One or the other usually gets replaced in adaptations so I'd just replaced them both.

Vixen and Black lightning's powerset give them versatility that league should use and we could use another woman on the team. BL could play the elder statesman role that MM is usually is pegged as. Aquaman never really feels like he has a distinct niche so I'm ok with replacing him with Vixen.

I don't hate cyborg on the league but I never felt like he excelled on the league or stood out the same way he did in the Titans. Mr. Terrific would cover the same ground as Batman and also more suited for an Unlimited setup.

John was my GL growing up but being GL is a double edged sword as he has to fight with other 7+ gls for panel space. Plus I found casual fans respect non-legacies more so I rather the premier black hero be a non-legacy character.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-13-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Vixen's powers can be pretty unstoppable. So there's no reason to act liek she's not powerful when done well or shown at her max potential.

They're not all that different than Animal Man's and while it might go against her animal theme she CAN channel alien animals and the like as well, just like he can. Hell, in at least two cases she even channelled dragons since in the DCU they are animals that exist there (at least one of which was part of normal continuity back in a JLA 80 Page Giant or somesuch).
    I agree, their are plenty of real life animals with strange and amazing abilities, haveing her mimic aliens and mythic monsters might be excessive. For example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_eel
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii

And dont forget the shrimp named after Pink Floyd that can create a little sonic boom with its weird giant pink claw.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

My first choice is VIXEN.but I was wondering why DC never pushed MAL DUNCAN aka THE GUARDIAN since he was their first black character.

A year has passed since this thread was created and nothing has changed in regards to Cyborg or any of the other black characters.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

BANNED

Should be John Stewart in Justice League. He shouldn't be designated the "premiere Lantern" though.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    A year has passed since this thread was created and nothing has changed in regards to Cyborg or any of the other black characters.
    Well, Black Lightning did receive a critically acclaimed tv show and Vixen is doing well on Legends and they're spotlighting her in JLA so there's been a little progress.

But really, the chances of them getting bigger pushes are lower with Geoff Johns in charge and his highlighting of only his faves. Hopefully things change now that Black Panther is here and from all signs, seems to be shaping up to be a mammoth success that will up the ante for DC's own black heroes.

Well, Black Lightning did receive a critically acclaimed tv show and Vixen is doing well on Legends and they're spotlighting her in JLA so there's been a little progress.
    I'm talking in terms of comics, I stated in the other thread that DC will push minority characters in shows, movies and animation b/c representation is a hot topic but those characters don't get pushed in comics, and a year ago we already knew Vixen was in JLA we just didn't know that after a year of being on the team that while the extent of her powers are explored, she would still have so very little character development.

The only thing that did change was that Black Lightning got a mini ...

But really, the chances of them getting bigger pushes are lower with Geoff Johns in charge and his highlighting of only his faves. Hopefully things change now that Black Panther is here and from all signs, seems to be shaping up to be a mammoth success that will up the ante for DC's own black heroes.
    I agree about Geoff Johns, but idk if Black Panther will light a fire under their butts to do something with their black heroes outside of Cyborg, also looking back, DC doesn't know how to respond to Marvel or rather when they do it's never with anything good.

I guess what is different is we have that book by John Ridley.

~~

~~

Extraordinary Member

These came out recently.
    BLACK LIGHTNING: COLD DEAD HANDS

WILDSTORM: MICHAEL CRAY

Silencer

Vigilante: Southland

Team up.
    Batman and the Signal
    Last edited by mace11; 02-15-2018 at 04:30 AM.