View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Different argument and your position is suspect.

I for one would think John and Vic would have a cool dynamic.
    How is my argument against the idea that "if John Stewart were in the Justice League along with Cyborg you wouldn't hear the complaints about Cyborg," inappropriate, when half (probably more) the criticism Cyborg gets is from John Stewart fan? They just always find something to say.

And I don't hide the fact that I am a Kyle Rayner fan. So? On the one hand, I have defended John Stewart, and fans of the character, and voiced my support for their wish to see the character leading a title. On the other hand, you can even read my criticism of Hal Jordan as characterized for the last 10 years in most of my post in the Hal Jordan Appreciation.

That does not detract from the fact that some of the arguments advanced by JS fans are just thin.

Different argument and your position is suspect.

I for one would think John and Vic would have a cool dynamic.
    That poster is extremely suspect. I'm not giving him the time of day. Folks out here treating black heroes like the Highlander. "There can be only one!"

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    And??? who's more famous: Robocop or Cyborg?
    True, but you can say the same thing about every other name mentioned in the poll above.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Then your interpretation of Maximum's post is wrong. It's not about franchise or characters, it's about black faces meeting minority quotas at the expense of authentic black representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    That poster is extremely suspect. I'm not giving him the time of day. Folks out here treating black heroes like the Highlander. "There can be only one!"
    Ok. Thanks for backing me up. Wasn't sure I was reading him right. Can't leave the house without someone changing the subject and thinking that's how people talk.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-07-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Then your interpretation of Maximum's post is wrong. It's not about franchise or characters, it's about black faces meeting minority quotas at the expense of authentic black representation.
    Sure, I understand that. And you will have me supporting the same cause. Now, from there to say that just casually having John Stewart on the screen, or the comic, is enough for the fans... well, I don't see that happening.

There should definitely be more than one hero in the Justice League, but if I had to pick one, it would be John Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    If John Stewart where there sharing space with Cyborg, you would have John Stewart fans claiming there is no need for Cyborg, "because he will probably steal some precious screen time from John"
    As a huge John Stewart fanboy, I wouldn't even have a complaint if John was on the team with Cyborg. As I'm sure fans wouldn't. Heck, I've been reading the Justice League/Power Rangers crossover and I currently have no complaints about Cyborg's presence, knowing John Stewart is part of the roster. I personally think it's a real cool addition to have not one, but two popular black characters on a team. It certainly takes away tokenism and the "black quota" on a team book.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Sure, I understand that. And you will have me supporting the same cause. Now, from there to say that just casually having John Stewart on the screen, or the comic, is enough for the fans... well, I don't see that happening.
    Why?

(Ten char)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    There should definitely be more than one hero in the Justice League, but if I had to pick one, it would be John Stewart.
    I agree. The JL has to be big. And there should be more than one, or two. Having John Stewart is fine in my book, as he is perhaps one of the most well-known black characters in the DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    As a huge John Stewart fanboy, I wouldn't even have a complaint if John was on the team with Cyborg. As I'm sure fans wouldn't. Heck, I've been reading the Justice League/Power Rangers crossover and I currently have no complaints about Cyborg's presence, knowing John Stewart is part of the roster. I personally think it's a real cool addition to have not one, but two popular black characters on a team. It certainly takes away tokenism and the "black quota" on a team book.
    I am not following JL/Power Rangers, but it is cool to know that you are enjoying it and Cyborg and GL work well together. However, I remember clearly, at the time the first solicitations came, the complain the the John Stewart Appreciation was the fact that they would have to share spotlight, thus reducing panel time. I didn't imagine this.

Why?

(Ten char)
    Because fans of John Stewart are as as vocal as Hal Jordan fans were during the 90s when Hal was Parallax/Spectre/not GL. Tell you why, because instead of the poll stating that John should be the prime black character in DC, it adds the caveat, he has to be the prime GL too. Why can't he be the prime black character and not the prime GL? Because they want more. Again, you visit the John Stewart Appreciation and you see it in pretty much every other post. Now, are they right in that DC is mistreating them? Well, to a degree they are, but from there to thinK that nothing but John Stewart as the prime GL, on Earth, on the GL prime title, on the JL, and as leader of the GL Corps, will satisfy them... it is just not true.

I would be a critic of those who think Kyle should be the sole GL again, btw, destroying the Corps again, and killing off all the other GLs.

Way too many false claims. John and Cyborg are both in the JL/Power Rangers crossover and not a complaint is made.

It's awesome seeing them both together. It's not often you get to see the black heroes interact with one another. The thing I like best about it is the version of Cyborg they're using. It's the DCyou look from Walker's run.

Why don't I see these crazy kinds of posts? I'm aware of one or two upset posters but I can see that they don't represent the fanbase as a whole. I frequent the John Stewart boards and I never leave with such outrageous impressions. Interesting... I guess it's all in what you go in there looking for.

Amazing Member

Anyway, Static should be DC's premiere black superhero

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Way too many false claims. John and Cyborg are both in the JL/Power Rangers crossover and not a complaint is made.

It's awesome seeing them both together. It's not often you get to see the black heroes interact with one another. The thing I like best about it is the version of Cyborg they're using. It's the DCyou look from Walker's run.
    And this is why I'd like to see Mr Terrific and Vixen together LOL

BANNED

And??? who's more famous: Robocop or Cyborg?
    Who is currently more famous is not relevant. And I'm sure that in the years that Robocop didn't exist yet Cuborg was literally infinitely more famous.
    You can't create a rip-off of something that doesn't exist yet.

It's like saying Robin Hood is a Green Arrow rip-off.
    Last edited by Carabas; 03-07-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Lol make Hal black...the outrage would be hilarious to me but seriously I'd vote for 2 people Vixen & Mr. Terrific (but did Vixen in the poll). I always thought that having Mr. Terrific on the JL team instead of Cyborg would've made way more sense both extremely intelligent and Mr Terrific's expertise in tech doesn't take anything away from the team while Cyborg could still be a very valued member of the Titans.

Vixen more on the front it would be good for her to simply get more shine, she's an interesting character and they can talk about some good themes with her as a woman of color so I'm first happy she's getting a spot on the JLA book and she has the CW animated series which was actually really good and has been on Legends as a JSA member.

Anyway, Static should be DC's premiere black superhero

I'd love if DC would do more with him but don't they have to pay the creators some % for anything they use him in? he's a great character but i guess it comes down to a business decision if that is the case at the end of the day.