View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Poll: Who should be DC's premier black superhero?

Okay, inspired by the other thread but I want to see how popular each of the top candidates are among the members of this forum through this poll.

A point to note: "Premier" does not mean only, but rather the highest in ranking/most prominent. So the question actually is, "Who should be DC's most prominent black superhero? (Who should get the most push on all media fronts, and positioned to play the most significant role in DC mythos)".
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-06-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Invincible Member

We can more than one black hero be popular at the same time. There shouldn't be a limit.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We can more than one black hero be popular at the same time. There shouldn't be a limit.
    I very much agree.

I voted for Vixen but yeah there shouldn't be a quota on number of black character being pushed at any one time. It's a sad state of affairs that this question even needs to be asked.

DC should be pushing several black heroes, not just one. I voted for the last option, because it's closer to what I think.
    All the heroes mentioned (aside from the terrible idea of turning Hal black) deserve big pushes.

Cyborg, Vixen, John Stewart, Black Lightning (seriously, why isn't DC doing anyhting with him?), Steel, Natasha Irons, Bronze Tiger etc should be way bigger than they are.
    I'm actually happy with the way Vixen is growing after such a long time being in limbo, but I hope she gets popular enough to sustain a solo.

There certainly shouldn't be a limit on minority characters but if they're to choose one as their main representative, then I gotta go with Vixen. Both from a powerset perspective, as well as background. Powerful magic-based non-legacy black female character with ties to the Red, that you can do so much with. Not to mention she is African, not African-American, so this character is as diverse as it comes from virtually any perspective. Vixen has basically unlimited potential, so while I totally agree with the final option, I still gotta go with her.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-06-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Incredible Member

John Stewart is the premiere black DC superhero and possibly the premiere black superhero in general. GLs are one of the big five JL members, it's quintessential DC, and John is an iconic GL.

I still like Cyborg on the League though, and I resist the poll because if John gets more votes than Vic then that's gonna provide fuel for the argument that Vic shouldn't be there, when if you ask me, they both should be.

Vixen is the premiere black female at DC.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 03-06-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    ...and I resist the poll because if John gets more votes than Vic then that's gonna provide fuel for the argument that Vic shouldn't be there, when if you ask me, they both should be.
    Hence the last option.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I voted for Vixen but yeah there shouldn't be a quota on number of black character being pushed at any one time. It's a sad state of affairs that this question even needs to be asked.
    True, which is the reason the last option is provided.

However, the concept of a "premiere" character is useful from a pragmatic POV. It helps in boosting the brand and iconism of the character, which in turn helps the company. This was the reason there was so much discussion about "Who is Marvel's Wonder Woman?" for decades, finally resulting in the massive push currently received by Captain Marvel.

Right now Marvel has chosen Black Panther to star in their very first (and so far only) solo black superhero film. Yes, there are other solo stars like Luke Cage but Netflix and television shows don't have the same level of exposure and accessibility around the world as multi-million blockbusters, and once his film comes out, BP is sure to be elevated higher in status when it comes to merchandise, pop-culture awareness and popularity than Marvel's other black heroes. So which character does DC choose to be the answer to BP's popularity the way Marvel chose Carol Danvers as their answer to Wonder Woman? Which black DC superhero has the most potential to built up to T'Challa's level?

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

This kind of questions it's starting to annoy me.

Justice League doesn't necessarily need a black hero or a Japanese or an european or anything else, I'm very tired of this new trend. All we need is good characters written by good writers.

I can't accept changes as they did with Wally West (and not because was from black to white, it would be the same on the other verse) only for the sake of diversity.

I love Cyborg, but I can't accept to have him with JL instead of Titans just because they have to put a black fan favourite hero into the JL team.
    I like John Stewart. He could be Justice League member for his value and not for his colour.
    I like John Henry Irons but i don't like Mr. Terrific just as I love Stephanie Brown and can't suffer Harper Rowe.

What matters is qualitiy and not diversity!

Obviously there should be more than one black, or any other minority, hero in the JL and the concept of "premiere" shouldn't even matter. But that's the obvious answer.

To keep the conversation going, I'd rather have John Stewart, Vixen, or Static as DC's "premiere" black hero. DC has yet to show me that they have interest in Cyborg beyond this man/machine story they keep pigeon holing him in, so I'm no longer interested in seeing where he is going.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Both matter.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This kind of questions it's starting to annoy me.

Justice League doesn't necessarily need a black hero or a Japanese or an european or anything else, I'm very tired of this new trend. All we need is good characters written by good writers.

I can't accept changes as they did with Wally West (and not because was from black to white, it would be the same on the other verse) only for the sake of diversity.

I love Cyborg, but I can't accept to have him with JL instead of Titans just because they have to put a black fan favourite hero into the JL team.
    I like John Stewart. He could be Justice League member for his value and not for his colour.
    I like John Henry Irons but i don't like Mr. Terrific just as I love Stephanie Brown and can't suffer Harper Rowe.

Yeah...nah. I'm not a fan of this thread either, but for a totally different reason as some have already laid out. But your claim of quality over diversity...nope, nope, nope.

This might be difficult for some to wrap their heads around, but diversity is quality.

Also, not everybody cares about him being connected to the Titans. I don't and I highly doubt I'm alone.

BANNED

There shouldn't be only one premier black character. We have 6 premier white characters why should we have only one for every other ethnicity.

Not everyone might not like Cyborg for example which is evident alot on this site. I personally don't find GL John all that entertaininy. Which is fine it's personal taste but why not have several characters for fans to choose from?

I'm not even blaming DC to be honest, cause they're us a push for certain characters. Hell Hal and Aquaman skipped out on JLvsPower Rangers in favor of John Stewart.

Vixen is in an ongoing now, finally and has some media push with Legends and her short.

Beetle had a title, not sure if he still does in all honesty but he's also being pushed with his injustice debut and whatnot.

Suicide Squad is out their to which is a pretty diverse title. I get DC is a business and their diverse characters who struggle to sell are more then likely going to be on a team setting rather than their own. Hence the majority of the Justice League of America group.

First of all, I agree that there shouldn't be a quota but there is an easy answer to this question though.

It's Black Lightning. He was first.

If not him, it's Vixen.

They are the Superman and Wonder Woman of black heroes to me. ( who is Batman then? It's The Black Panther even if he's a "Marvel". )

Everybody else is a knock off of a pre-existing character and Cyborg is a Titan.
    Batman - Daredevil

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    This might be difficult for some to wrap their heads around, but diversity is quality.
    Not necessarily...
    IMG_8956.jpg

I voted John Stewart BTW, but I agree with the last option as well. If I had to pick only one it would be John so I still voted for him.