View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

I think that's the point. We're now two or more universal do-overs since Crisis, so Hoshi is a holdover from an earlier continuity.

At various times I mused her into becoming Doctor Terrific, and fleshing out an entire "Marvel" family for Michael Holt's corporate and adventuring interests. There was Professor Terrific(Ray Palmer), Terrific Jr., Miss Terrific, Aunt Terrific, etc. It was kinda sitcommy Challengers of the Unknown, like Fantastic Four but cross-generational with engineering paychecks.

My other idea was merging her character with another weird holdover from Crisis: Lady Quark. Both women were impatient and haughty, so I took elements of Quark's history as regent with Light's ethnicity, and turned DC's Earth X into a superpowered Man in the High Castle. Quantum Woman, Boss Dynamo and Sailor Bonsai are the contemporary ruling family for the Japanese Pacific Empire. Still incredibly intelligent and twice as bitchy, Empress Toshino Hoshi and her family are refugees on our Earth.

Back to black superheroes:

John Stewart should be the Beacon of 2814, and run our solar system like a giant precinct. Jessica, Simon, Kyle, and others! can all be Lantern officers deployed to deal with international and interplanetary situations. Gardner can be a Torch and deal with all the intra-dimensional Bleed incursions that happen on Earth. I'd love for there to be more colonies and life throughout the solar system than burned-out Mars. Maybe there's Rann and Thanagar outposts on Europa? In any case, John's the guy who knows people and gets shit done. Hal can stay in space making friends and enemies.

I'm on record for suggesting a Fresh Prince model for Static Shock and Black Lightning, and giving Mr. Pierce a position as principal at Wonder Woman's "Sky High". Black Lightning might not have the high status of John Stewart, but he's doing the most GOOD by creating superhero adults from superhuman children. Both are important, and both should be seen.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-11-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm on record for suggesting a Fresh Prince model for Static Shock and Black Lightning, and giving Mr. Pierce a position as principal at Wonder Woman's "Sky High". Black Lightning might not have the high status of John Stewart, but he's doing the most GOOD by creating superhero adults from superhuman children. Both are important, and both should be seen.
    If DC ever dives into the "Justice League Academy" concept with a revised Young Justice (premise stolen from the show, not PAD's series) Lightning would make a perfect headmaster. I'd also throw in Nightwing and Canary as mentors/trainers, and Cyborg as the League liaison, with a few other heroes to help teach certain elements (Batgirl teaching forensics and computer classes, etc).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Heaven forbid fans actually try and analyze which DC black superhero can have the most marketability and potential to become as iconic as the Trinity and other marquee characters as opposed to just giving lazy lip service to "They should push them all" and then do nothing about it as DC marginalizes stronger black characters in favor of Cyborg.
    This is the problem right here. DC doesn't push you prefered character and all of a sudden that makes them racist. God forbid anyone actually likes Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    This is the problem right here. DC doesn't push you prefered character and all of a sudden that makes them racist. God forbid anyone actually likes Cyborg.
    Cyborg's not winning any popularity polls, this poll being one example. It doesn't necessarily make DC racist to push him over more popular black superheroes, but it doesn't make them business savvy in this regard either.

Ultimate Member

Where are those fans at? Because they sure are not buying his book.

The point is if you are trying to be competitive with Marvel- Dc is not doing a good job of it.

Yes you do have some stronger one who can with support give Miles & Black Panther a run for the money while you work on building up Cyborg. Instead we see excuses galore with everybody else.

This is not about who anyone likes-this is about who is best for business. If Dc wants to show Marvel how it's done-they need to show it. Because sooner or later Miles and the rest will not only catch up to Cyborg in and out of comics but bypass him.

As for not pushing who you want how is this different from the behavior we saw from X-Men, Wally West, Rich Rider & Hal Jordan fans?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Cyborg's not winning any popularity polls, this poll being one example. It doesn't necessarily make DC racist to push him over more popular black superheroes, but it doesn't make them business savvy in this regard either.
    Is there any actual market research available that indicates which characters are the best to push within the comic book medium and outside of it? If there is, I would love to see it. If Cyborg doesn't do too well on it, then DC would indeed be stupid for pushing him harder than others.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Is there any actual market research available that indicates which characters are the best to push within the comic book medium and outside of it? If there is, I would love to see it. If Cyborg doesn't do too well on it, then DC would indeed be stupid for pushing him harder than others.
    Best you could do is search the web for top black superheroes. There are some dedicated pages from multiple years. Cyborg usually ranks pretty poorly if he makes the list at all.

Then you can check the pulse of this site. Other comic sites as well.

Then you can take note of the disingenuous tone of the top guys in the industry when they are forced to mention Cyborg.

Lastly, you can take note of the people who want to to support the character but are dealing with glaring social issues with regards to him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Where are those fans at? Because they sure are not buying his book.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Best you could do is search the web for top black superheroes. There are some dedicated pages from multiple years. Cyborg usually ranks pretty poorly if he makes the list at all.

Then you can check the pulse of this site. Other comic sites as well.

Then you can take note of the disingenuous tone of the top guys in the industry when they are forced to mention Cyborg.

Lastly, you can take note of the people who want to to support the character but are dealing with glaring social issues with regards to him.
    All good points, but if you ask the average person outside of our hobby to name African-American superheroes from DC, I have to believe Cyborg would be #1. Doesn't make him a better character, of course, but name recognition will always be a plus.

BANNED

He seems popular enough to anyone who grew up with TT 2003 cartoon. Doesn't help people here are just petty that Cyborg got chosen over Martin Manhunter or John Stewart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As for not pushing who you want how is this different from the behavior we saw from X-Men, Wally West, Rich Rider & Hal Jordan fans?
    I never said it was different with those fans, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable

I never said it was different with those fans, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable
    Wait. Did you say it to any of those fans?

He seems popular enough to anyone who grew up with TT 2003 cartoon. Doesn't help people here are just petty that Cyborg got chosen over Martin Manhunter or John Stewart.

You know what? Nah bruh, folks should've never questioned you. They just don't know Cyborg the way you do. They ain't got that affection for him. I believe you when you say that.
    Last edited by Iconic; 03-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Guys, enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    [/B]

You know what? Nah bruh, folks should've never questioned you. They just don't know Cyborg the way that you do. They ain't got that affection for him. I believe you when you say that.
    Not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic. Really hope it's the former.
    Last edited by AquaLantern; 03-16-2017 at 12:09 PM.