View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This kind of questions it's starting to annoy me.

Justice League doesn't necessarily need a black hero or a Japanese or an european or anything else, I'm very tired of this new trend. All we need is good characters written by good writers.

I can't accept changes as they did with Wally West (and not because was from black to white, it would be the same on the other verse) only for the sake of diversity.

I love Cyborg, but I can't accept to have him with JL instead of Titans just because they have to put a black fan favourite hero into the JL team.
    I like John Stewart. He could be Justice League member for his value and not for his colour.
    I like John Henry Irons but i don't like Mr. Terrific just as I love Stephanie Brown and can't suffer Harper Rowe.

What matters is qualitiy and not diversity!
    I would say that both diversity and quality are important and I know people like to say that diversity for diversity sake shouldn't be done but that's very easy to say when one is already represented in all forms of media.
    Diversity for sake is okay. Everyone should be represented. The world isn't one shade, shape, gender or sexuality and fiction and the arts should reflect that.

When the odds /the playing field has been tilted in favour of one particular group for a considerable time all effort must be made to balance things out as soon as we can.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.

BANNED

The idea that DC should only have one main black hero is disgusting. They really need to take a page out of Marvel's book, and trim down on the white dudes.

HOWEVER, if I could only pick one black DC hero to be a long running member of the main Justice League, I'd go with Steel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    The idea that DC should only have one main black hero is disgusting. They really need to take a page out of Marvel's book, and trim down on the white dudes.

HOWEVER, if I could only pick one black DC hero to be a long running member of the main Justice League, I'd go with Steel.
    Ok, I try to be pro diversity and inclusivity when I can, and advocate for POC and LGBT heroes I like to get more exposure. But phrases like "trim down on the white dudes" are not helping. It moves the focus away from having a greater number of diverse characters, and makes it about having less white guys. It's not about bringing white guys down, it's about bringing other groups up.

Sorry but attitudes like that are why less than 100% of fans support more representation. Many people's favorite heroes happen to be white dudes, and you're turning the argument into an attack on them.

Not to mention you're using current Marvel as an example which makes it even worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Ok, I try to be pro diversity and inclusivity when I can, and advocate for POC and LGBT heroes I like to get more exposure. But phrases like "trim down on the white dudes" are not helping. It moves the focus away from having a greater number of diverse characters, and makes it about having less white guys. It's not about bringing white guys down, it's about bringing other groups up.

Sorry but attitudes like that are why less than 100% of fans support more representation. Many people's favorite heroes happen to be white dudes, and you're turning the argument into an attack on them.

Not to mention you're using current Marvel as an example which makes it even worse.
    Hey, I may despise how Marvel just keeps bouncing from one event to another, and can't just let me enjoy Ms. Marvel, but for the most part, I prefer Marvel's new generation to the old guard. X-23>Logan, Jane Foster>Odinson, Kamala Khan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carol Danvers, Riri Williams> Tony Stark, Miles Morales> Peter Parker, Amadeus Cho> Bruce Banner.

Like, I'm happy that DC replaced Hal in the league with Simon and Jessica, but there's more they could do.

I think Black Lightning has the best chance of becoming THE black DC hero(yes, I know, it's better to have a big push for more than one black character, but i'm focusing on which one will become the big one, like how Batman is generally THE DC super hero, or how Captain Marvel is THE Marvel Super heroine right now), with his TV show happening and how those shows have done well for putting the Flash and Green Arrow into the public eye.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I think Black Lightning has the best chance of becoming THE black DC hero(yes, I know, it's better to have a big push for more than one black character, but i'm focusing on which one will become the big one, like how Batman is generally THE DC super hero, or how Captain Marvel is THE Marvel Super heroine right now), with his TV show happening and how those shows have done well for putting the Flash and Green Arrow into the public eye.
    Black Lightning is getting a show? NEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    To keep the conversation going, I'd rather have John Stewart, Vixen, or Static as DC's "premiere" black hero.
    For the gazillionth time, does DC OWN the character of Static? Isn't he a Milestone character? If Milestone finally resumes publishing comic books again, who has the rights to that character?

Also, should John Stewart really be DC's "premier" black/African-American hero? He definitely has recognition due to his exposure in the Justice League animated series, but he also isn't quite as unique because the Green Lantern franchise was originally started with white/Caucasian heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator X View Post
    First of all, I agree that there shouldn't be a quota but there is an easy answer to this question though.

It's Black Lightning. He was first.
    He was first what?
    First black/African-American DC character to headline his own comic book is correct, but that came out in 1977.

John Stewart first appeared as a Green Lantern substitute in Green Lantern #87 (December 1971).

The idea that DC should only have one main black hero is disgusting.
    But is the question asking who should be the ONLY black/African-American hero at DC, or is it more of who should DC put more focus on to raise his/her visibility and prominence? You can still have other heroes, but maybe they should chose one to use more frequently and give a greater push to.
    (Others can still get more exposure / attention later on.)

They really need to take a page out of Marvel's book, and trim down on the white dudes.

Problem with choosing Steel is a similar one to going John Stewart: how unique are those characters, and how much are they going to be regarded as more token black/African-American members of popular white franchises?
    (I'm not saying they should be thought of that way, but isn't that likely to be the way some/many people may look at it?)

As long as a character is good and intrests me, I really don't care if he's white, black, yellow, purple, green or pink polka dot.
    IMHO, DC has quite a few great characters that happen to be black. Many among my favorites. Steel (John Henry Irons), Black Lightning, Vixen, Cyborg, John Stewart (my favorite GL. If it were up to me, he'd be the only GL from Earth), Coldcast, Dr Mist, Kid Quantum II (LOVE her) and others... And some I really don't like (I find Black Lightning's daughters, for exemple, more boring than watching paint dry on the wall, especially Thunder. What a whinner). That said, I do have a complain as to how DC treated one black character in particular. Michael Holt, a.k.a. Mr Terrific (for whom I voted, by the way, even though I could have gone with the last option). In JSA, Johns built Mr Terrific as a highly capable and competent hero, one of the smartest men on Earth. Yet, DC ruined that in the New 52 with a subpar title and then cast him in the role of perpetual victim over in the Earth 2 series. Now, he's stuck in limbo. What a waste of a fantastic character. Mr. Terrific could and should have been one of DC's brightest new stars.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    As long as a character is good and intrests me, I really don't care if he's white, black, yellow, purple, green or pink polka dot.
    IMHO, DC has quite a few great characters that happen to be black. Many among my favorites. Steel (John Henry Irons), Black Lightning, Vixen, Cyborg, John Stewart (my favorite GL. If it were up to me, he'd be the only GL from Earth), Coldcast, Dr Mist, Kid Quantum II (LOVE her) and others... And some I really don't like (I find Black Lightning's daughters, for exemple, more boring then watching paint dry on the wall, especially Thunder. What a whinner). That said, I do have a complain as to how DC treated one black character in particular. Michael Holt, a.k.a. Mr Terrific (for whom I voted, by the way, even though I could have gone with the last option). In JSA, Johns built Mr Terrific as a highly capable and competent hero, one of the smartest men on Earth. Yet, DC ruined that in the New 52 with a subpar title and than cast him in the role of perpetual victim over in the Earth 2 series. Now, he's stuck in limbo. What a waste of a fantastic character. Mr. Terrific could and should have been one of DC's brightest new stars.

Peace
    1) Kid Quantum II rocks (Long live the Legion)

2) While I don't personally like the idea of John being Earth's only Green Lantern, I wouldn't be opposed to it if the other ones joined other cores. Ex. Guy-Red, Kyle-White, Jessica-Blue.

3) YES! Mr. Terrific was a great character in JSA, and, like many others, he was screwed over by the New52. Whenever I want to convince someone of his awesomeness, I show them the JLU episode "The Great Brain Robbery."

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For the gazillionth time, does DC OWN the character of Static? Isn't he a Milestone character? If Milestone finally resumes publishing comic books again, who has the rights to that character?
    DC claims to have come to an agreement with Milestone, a claim as recent as last year, and said they'd publish Milestone books, I assume not unlike what they currently have with Young Animal or Wildstorm. They even have a DC Icons figure of Static releasing this Summer (although it was supposed to be released late last year) as well as releasing the First Season of his show on DVD later this month. That means either Milestone made a deal with DC or they went above DC and made a deal with Warner Bros., but either way, the character is still being associated with DC.

As for John Stewart, like with the rest of the Lanterns, he is a part of a concept. He can still be an individual. Hal is considered an individual and unique hero despite his connection to the Corps, so I don't see why John can't be either.
    Last edited by HereNThere; 03-06-2017 at 09:11 AM.

I've heard that Black Lightning is getting a CW TV show, Perfect time to take his place as DC's premiere super hero.

I wouldn't mind if it were Vixen or Mr. Terrific. Both are great characters.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    DC claims to have come to an agreement with Milestone, a claim as recent as last year, and said they'd publish Milestone books, I assume not unlike what they currently have with Young Animal or Wildstorm.
    I believe Young Animal and Wildstorm are different than Milestone. Young Animal was set up within DC/WB and makes use of DC characters either as stars of those books or within the cast/settings of the books. I believe Wildstorm was outright acquired by DC. From what I've heard regarding Milestone, there were no plans to have that imprint acquired by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe Young Animal and Wildstorm are different than Milestone. Young Animal was set up within DC/WB and makes use of DC characters either as stars of those books or within the cast/settings of the books. I believe Wildstorm was outright acquired by DC. From what I've heard regarding Milestone, there were no plans to have that imprint acquired by DC.
    They mentioned it a couple years ago. They were going to have it under the Earth M moniker.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/07...he-creation-of

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We can more than one black hero be popular at the same time. There shouldn't be a limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I very much agree.
    DC says otherwise they can only handle one - so there is a limit.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

While I like all of these heroes(except Cyborg), I think Vixen has the most potential. I'm glad she's on the current JLA team. I'd like to see John Steward added to the JLA with Black Lightning joining the Justice League in Cyborg's place.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.