View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We can more than one black hero be popular at the same time. There shouldn't be a limit.
    your right there shouldn't be, but unfortunately it doest happen overnight so we need to get one out and pushed, they need to put vixen in the next wonder woman movie

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    These came out recently.
    BLACK LIGHTNING: COLD DEAD HANDS

WILDSTORM: MICHAEL CRAY

Silencer

Vigilante: Southland

Team up.
    Batman and the Signal
    We already named Black Lightning

Wildstorm is in it's own universe, we're talking about characters in the DC Universe not the characters othered away.

Silencer is Polynesian not black.

I thought Vigilant came before Rebirth

And yes you're right Batman and the Signal is a thing ...a 3 issue thing.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-15-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

John Stewart gets my vote.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Silencer is Polynesian not black.

There are black Polynesians.

There are black Polynesians.
    But it hasn't been confirmed that she's a black Polynesian so why make that assumption, she's Polynesian and only that until confirmed otherwise.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-16-2018 at 12:49 AM.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    But it hasn't been confirmed that she's a black Polynesian so why make that assumption, she's Polynesian and only that until confirmed otherwise.
    There are two types of Polynesians.
    East Asian looking ones and black looking ones.
    Most do look east asian,but like i said some do look black.

But anyway To me the new Silencer character looks clearly black.
    I don't need confirmation.
    The image here speaks for itself.

and here.

Aquawoman from earth 2 looks black as well.
    Both would be black asians.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-16-2018 at 03:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Wildstorm is in it's own universe, we're talking about characters in the DC Universe not the characters othered away.
    By the way Michael Cray is in the dc universe now,not the wildstorm universe.

Michael Cray (Prime Earth)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Cray_%28Prime_Earth%29

Extraordinary Member

I did not have time before to look up the Vigilante: Southland date,but now i just did recently.

I thought Vigilant came before Rebirth
    No it did not.
    Rebirth started in June 2016.
    Vigilante: Southland came out in October 2016.

I would have voted for STEEL (or rather other) months ago but I really like Cyborg in JL and am sad that his solo movie gets constantly pushed back (or is it even cancelled now?).

and here.

Polynesians are their own race, at least according to the US census, which classifies them as Islanders. If I'm understanding things correctly, they're a result of Australoids and Mongoloids mixing together thousands of years ago, so completely different from being Black.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 02-16-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I have always thought Vixen makes the best candidate with Black Lightening second, but neither one of them ever get a major push in the comics.

Even with both being hot on TV shows at the moment, DC doesn't really do much to push them in the comics.

For example, if Black Lightening has a TV show out on a major network right now, if I were DC, I would have hired a top notch creative team and put them on a Black Lightening REGULAR series, not just some obligatory mini series with an average writer and artist just to be able to say, "Hey, well, at least we put SOMETHING out while his show was on TV!!!"

And poor Vixen fares even worse. She doesn't even get a mini and they didn't even really do anything for her when her cartoon came out and aren't really doing much for her now that she's a star character on the Legends of Tomorrow TV show, aside from waste her in a garbage JL satellite book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Polynesians are their own race, at least according to the US census, which classifies them as Islanders. If I'm understanding things correctly, they're a result of Australoids and Mongoloids mixing together thousands of years ago, so completely different from being Black.
    Asian Pacific American
    The U.S. Department of Labor Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs defined Asian-Pacific Islander as "A person with origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, South Asia, or the Pacific Islands. This area includes, for example, China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and Samoa; and in South Asia, includes India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan." A definition from Henry Ford Health System states that an Asian-Pacific American is "A U.S. citizen whose origins are from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Samoa, Fiji, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the Northern Marianas.
    The islander thing is just the region that is not in asia but Polynesians are not their own race.
    I just posted two pics of Silencer above and she does not look like her own race.
    She clearly looks black.
    That is what will come to my mind if i see a picture of her for the first time and did not know her background.
    Mongoloids(east asian) and africoids(black)

Africoid as a term incorporating Oceanic, Dravidian and Australoid peoples

Here some more info.

Are Polynesians Black or Asian or both
    BY Tahitoa (Jayson) Toefuata, HRM Employee (2013-present)

Polynesians are just Polynesians! We do have some African and/or Asian roots, but the same as the theory which says that everybody is from Africa. So nothing more to say about it! We, Polynesians, are Polynesians. We don’t care for being more Black or more Asian, etc… We have our own culture, heritage and languages.

If we speak about Polynesians from Pacific Islands, well, some Polynesians may look a bit darker than what people expect, because some of us have mixed with Melanesians or in a smaller amount with Micronesians. A simple example is Fiji. A land where Polynesians and Melanesians mixed a lot, then followed by the British colonisation and the “importation” of Indian immigrants. And it has never been uncommon for Polynesians like Samoans to marry with Fijians. There is something people have a problem to understand and it’s that Polynesians have never found taboo to marry other ethnic groups, especially in the past before the modern world and the European conquest of this region of the world.

A funny and tricky example to show the complexity of trying to put Polynesians in cases is Wallis & Futuna and New Caledonia. Wallis & Futuna is a fully Polynesian territory, currently owned by France. Wallis in Wallisian language (Fakaʻuvea) is Uvea. In New Caledonia there is a bunch of 3 big islands which formed the Loyalty Islands Province. One of those 3 islands is called Ouvea Island, or simply Uvea. Yeah, it’s the same name as the part of the Polynesian kingdom from Wallis & Futuna while Ouvea Island is a part of New Caledonia, a Melanesian land. In addition, the Wallisian language called Wallisian (Fakaʻuvea) is far much closer to Faga Ouvea (Fagauvea), the language of people on Ouvea Island than any Kanak languages. Kanaks being the Melanesians of New Caledonia.

Now if people want to refer about Polynesians in Hawaii or in the USA, it’s simply because Polynesians are one of the ethnic groups who cares the less for the ethnicity when they marry someone else. Inside the silly US statistics Asians & Pacific Islanders, Pacific Islanders are the ones who marry the most African-Americans, for example. That’s nothing more complicated to explain some darker skin colours. In Hawaii, it’s only because Polynesians have faced an ethnocide (overall a genocide) from the US colonisation with the help of Asian immigrants, so people should just educate themselves a bit more to understand that most people in Hawaii aren’t Native Hawaiians, so Polynesians.

So I know it has been very common for people to try to put everybody in a case, and we have even seen people trying to mix Pacific Islanders, so Polynesians, with Filipinos, but Polynesians are just Polynesians! And if Polynesians have to be close to someone else, it would be to other Pacific Islanders, so Melanesians and Micronesians. That’s it. Nothing more.

BY Lars Ali
    Black, yes. African, no. Papuans/Melanesians are Black but have no African DNA as they have been separated from Africans for over 40,000 years. In fact, Melanesians are closer to Asians and Europeans than Africans despite
    phenotype.
    In terms of Polynesian people in general, they are a mixture of different waves of migrations into the Pacific. Mitochondrial DNA (DNA from mothers) shows that Polynesians are 70/30 % South East Asian/Melanesian. However, the Y DNA (DNA from father to son) shows the opposite. In some cases, 100% of the Y DNA show Melanesian/Papuan descent.
    What does this mean? In theory, the first voyagers came from Asia and into Melanesia. From there, successive waves of immigration of different people also made the voyage. With SE Asians being a matrilineal society, the women mated with Melanesian men. The result of this interracial communion were the Polynesians.
    Evidence can be seen in the Polynesian phenotype. There are some that look more Asian and then there are those that look like light skinned Blacks with kinky hair texture that is not seen in Asians. Look at Samoan rugby player Iosia Soliola or the Wild Samoans from the WWF.
    The Hawaiian Monarchy such as David Kalakaua, Kamehameha 2, Queen Liliuokalani also look Blasian. There's also Willie K, a singer from Hawaii who also looks Black. Nowadays, there are very few actual Native Hawaiians let alone pure blood. Most people in Hawaii, even if they refer to themselves as Hawaiian, are actually Asian.

Here are some articles/journals/books that go in better detail.

Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomes (2006)
    A Polynesian Motif on the Y Chromosome: Population Structure in Remote Oceania (2007)
    Melanesian origin of Polynesian Y chromosomes (2006)

Mongoloids(east asian) and africoids(black)
    Note- when the person means Melanesians are closer to europeans and asians they are talking about dna of course.

Now let's get back on topic.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post

And poor Vixen fares even worse. She doesn't even get a mini and they didn't even really do anything for her when her cartoon came out and aren't really doing much for her now that she's a star character on the Legends of Tomorrow TV show, aside from waste her in a garbage JL satellite book.
    She got a mini in 2009. That had an issue taken away and that writer left DC.

5 years later she resurfaced at Marvel with some book called Ms Marvel.

Can we count John Diggle/Spartan?

and here.

So you're going by skin tone instead of actual facts from the creator, this is like when you kept insisting that Miles mother was afro-latina despite the fact that the only thing confirmed was that she was Puerto Rican but b/c she has brown skin she was an afro-latino.

Polynesians are their own thing now even if they have black features or asian features or have brown skin, unless they identify otherwise they are just polynesian or in Silencer's case unless she is like Dwayne Johnson and has a black parent she is not black Polynesian.

Also you can stop messaging me about the racial makeup or roots of Polysnesians, I know this already.

Point is right now Silencer is Polynesian only and her skin tone is not some measurement to assume she is black.

She does not belong in this discussion thread.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.

~~

~~