View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Christopher Priest is savage!

BANNED

If you look at it from DC's perspective, they can't make that decision. The readers have to make it. There's a fundamental problem with deciding what your customers "should" buy. DC thought readers "should" buy Green Lanterns, but they didn't, and thought readers "should" buy Hal Jordan as a franchise carrier, but again they didn't.

The people who were behind what's widely called SJW Marvel thought people "should" buy those comics, but they didn't.

DC has succeeded in making people think they "should" buy Batman, but it's come at the expense of their other properties.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-13-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Christopher Priest is savage!

Red Panther NNNOOOOO!!! Silly king, that's not Tony Stark!! What will Shuri say???!!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Vixen. She's got a neat hook in being involved with the Red, you can tell stories with her set outside the United States, and yes as a black female she brings diversity. I'd love to see her on the JL with the current lineup.

Of course I don't know who would be a good fit to write her, so I admit this is mostly wishful thinking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post

Of course I don't know who would be a good fit to write her, so I admit this is mostly wishful thinking.
    I know there's almost zero chance of DC snatching her from Marvel, but how was Wilson's Vixen mini from years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I know there's almost zero chance of DC snatching her from Marvel, but how was Wilson's Vixen mini from years ago?
    In my opinion, Wilson's mini is my definitive version of the character and should've been the foundation for the character to develop from.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If you look at it from DC's perspective, they can't make that decision. The readers have to make it. There's a fundamental problem with deciding what your customers "should" buy. DC thought readers "should" buy Green Lanterns, but they didn't, and thought readers "should" buy Hal Jordan as a franchise carrier, but again they didn't.

The people who were behind what's widely called SJW Marvel thought people "should" buy those comics, but they didn't.

DC has succeeded in making people think they "should" buy Batman, but it's come at the expense of their other properties.
    Part of the reason they didn't do well as floppies is because the line of folks who took issues with who was on the COVER started to the left. Along with fans who felt entitled to be as disrespectful and rude to every creator at Marvel. Yet are now mad that guys like Nick Spencer & Dan Slott did not back down to them. And now want to pull "You are Representative of the company and should behave" card.

Hard for readers to make a choice when barriers are in the way for certain books. Yet those stores have no trouble with piles of unsold Hal Jordan books but take issue with the 'SJW" Marvel books that might leave 1-3 unsold issues. That NO ONE forced them to order in the first place.

Meanwhile those "SJW" Marvel books seem to have a second life with better sales as trades. With MANY beating DC Rebirth and even the Batman. Funny when you move beyond that comic book store and give access to the books everywhere (mainly as trades)-folks actually do read those "SJW" books while ignoring Hal Jordan and others.

And as you can see DC is hellbent on tossing Cyborg in everyone's face with the same old man vs machine stories. Meanwhile better black characters as viewed as threats to Hal or Barry.

At least Marvel didn't force you to choose between Miles or Peter. X-23 or Logan. Steve or Falcon. Carol or Khan. GOTG or Avengers. You had a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And as you can see DC is hellbent on tossing Cyborg in everyone's face with the same old man vs machine stories. Meanwhile better black characters as viewed as threats to Hal or Barry.
    Which black character is a "threat" to Barry?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    In my opinion, Wilson's mini is my definitive version of the character and should've been the foundation for the character to develop from.
    I really should check this out some time.

BANNED

I think it was pretty much the best Vixen I've ever read. I find Willow Wilson very underrated as a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think it was pretty much the best Vixen I've ever read. I find Willow Wilson very underrated as a writer.
    I wouldn't say she's completely underrated given how well-received and popular Ms. Marvel is, but I do think she definitely deserves a bigger profile .

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    This post is problematic imo. Why can't they just all shine without pitting them against each other?

And I don't think black superheroes are as misrepresented as people make it seem. Where are the Asians, native Americans, Latinos, etc.
    We do want all of them to shine but we're not under some delusion that DC would share the wealth.

Eh, this discussion of are black people or black characters really misrepsented is annoying, this comment usually comes from resentment and is thrown at the wrong people. Also tokenism and a character filled with stereotyoes/tropes are not representation, good representation is real representation, also just b/c there are "a lot" of black characters doesn't mean there isn't misrepresentation, if they're not being used who exactly is benefiting from that representation.

As for other minority heroes, america likes to act like native americans died out, asian men aren't seen as masculine, asian women are only seen as fetishized love interests, this plays a part in our media, and you see it in comics too, it's not right at all. I would say there are quite a few Latino heroes, but there could always be more.

I felt like it was a rehash of Mari's origin not b/c it copies anything but it just felt like that ...maybe b/c it addressed Mari's mother's death but the mini was still an enjoyable read and I like how Wilson showcased Mari's and Superman's relationship as well.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer