View Poll Results: Poll: Who should be DC's premiere black superhero?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cyborg (I'm fine with the current setup)

18 8.22%
  • Vixen (Coz Marvel hates Storm now and position for Black Superheroine #1 is up for grabs)

41 18.72%
  • John Stewart (Should be the premiere GL)

40 18.26%
  • Black Lightning

34 15.53%
  • Mister Terrific

19 8.68%
  • Make Hal Jordan African-American

1 0.46%
  • Other (specify below)

2 0.91%
  • There shouldn't be a premiere black superhero. There should be more than one black superhero in JL.

64 29.22%
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    You can think that all you want, but DC is pushing Vic because most people know who he is compared to the others. If the JL movie had come out in 2004, John Stewart would be in it instead.

Folks know who Cyborg is and they are all asking why is he in Justice League and where is John Stewart.

Folks know who Cyborg is and 90% of the products sold outside comic book stores showcase him as a Teen Titan not a Leaguer.

I look at all merchandise for Justice League and Cyborg is constantly left out.

And the other question is why is the black guy a mess among the beautiful others.

I get a king, vampire killer, Peter Parker's little bro. a weather witch, a wizard and a flying black guy at Marvel.

I get a head on a bad 80s movie robot that can change appearances at DC.

If being know is important to DC-we wouldn't have a black Wally West.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I agree with almost 100% of this.

There's only one thing that I don't.

Much as it pains me to say it, NuWally, within the pages of Teen Titans, is li...is lik..."barfs", IS ACTUALLY PRETTY LIKABLE!

Oh god I feel sick...
    If he is likable that is a good thing. At least they are trying to improve him and I will not rip them for that.

Cyborg could be so cool but DC keeps messing him up by placing his direction in the hands of people who don't know the first thing about the character
    So far the comics have failed Cyborg but the cartoons and video games have made up for that failure

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So what is Storm's excused-she's in just as many books as Cyborg. Like Cyborg her solo was a joke.

There is a difference between being in a book and doing something in a book.

Storm was in all those books and events-yet nothing was done to make HER interesting for a solo let alone a mini.

She is a character that artist love to draw, has two well known looks and that's it. Sure you get chucks of development here and there but that is all you get. An when Marvel tried to expand her with some KING-an entire fanbase went NUTS.

John Stewart-there is a reason folks hold that cartoon to a high standard. It made him INTERESTING unlike comics under JOHNS and a few others.

Cyborg same thing. Folks are not buying the book. Moon Girl BEAT HIM in sales during his first run. She still has more digital pulls on comixology. He is looking up at a lot of Marvel books that get bashed.

Lets not forget-in order to get appearances same EDITOR or higher up has to APPROVE it.

How many writers have wanted to use Cassandra Cain and got told NO. What about Stephanie Brown? Static? Ms Martian? Jaime Reyes? REAL Wally West? If I don't care for that character you the reader will not see him.

Right now with DC they are not interested in putting up a better effort. We are suppose to settle for Cyborg, fake Wally & Duke Thomas doing little to nothing in top books. That would warrant them interesting enough to be real competition for Marvel or whoever.
    I'm just telling you the factual reason why Cyborg is in the JL now. It's the same reason why he was on Super Friends over 30 years ago - he was in the most popular DC book back then. Until we find a sure-fire way to forecast how well each character can do with the right push, how well known a character is will be a factor in how he or she is advanced.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Premier superheroes: Who it is currently/Who I want it to be

Black: Cyborg/ Black Lightning

Hispanic: Blue Beetle/ Blue Beetle

Asian: Katana/ Xombi
    Last edited by El_Gato; 03-06-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If being know is important to DC-we wouldn't have a black Wally West.
    Yes, we would, because that change was due to the show.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There certainly shouldn't be a limit on minority characters but if they're to choose one as their main representative, then I gotta go with Vixen. Both from a powerset perspective, as well as background. Powerful magic-based non-legacy black female character with ties to the Red, that you can do so much with. Not to mention she is African, not African-American, so this character is as diverse as it comes from virtually any perspective. Vixen has basically unlimited potential, so while I totally with the final option, gotta go with her.
    Yeah, I haven't voted only because for me it's a tie between Vixen and the last option in the poll...promote them ALL.

What's the general feeling of J'onn J'onnz taking the appearance of a black man full time?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    What's the general feeling of J'onn J'onnz taking the appearance of a black man full time?
    He can take the appearance of whoever, as long as he's not the stand-in for black representation on the League. That would be disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Full time? As in "John Jones" is always drawn as a black man? Or full time as in J'onn turns from green to brown?

Not cool with the idea of "race-bending" J'onn. I don't know if there's a story hook in the universe that doesnt make that look desperate.

As for "John" always being black, I'm more than cool with it, its a good look for him. In my head, "John Jones" looks and sounds like a young-ish James Earl Jones, and has since before DC started drawing him as a black man.

But neither approach qualify him for representing real black people in my opinion. If J'onn's disguise can be a check for diversity, it's *almost* as bad as me wearing blackface and claiming that I represent diversity. J'onn is playing the role of John; it's a role he's played for years and made his own, but it's still a role. Had J'onn grown up in that role like Clark Kent did, that'd be a different story perhaps.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I agree that he's a poor source for the black experience. But I'm a big fan of the consistent portrayals on him onscreen as a black man. So much so that I wish he didn't go green when he shifts into a caped shape.

Speaking of onscreen, I'm really excited for the upcoming Black Lightning television show. I see a ton of potential to grow the Black Lightning FRANCHISE. Is he the first modern hero to have heroic children?

In any case, I think we can compare DC to Marvel for years and not get anywhere. DC's differentiation is generational relationships. Instead of looking for the pre-eminent black hero, maybe we should consider looking at/for the pre-eminent generational relationship... which, if we look at Static Shock as a reluctant sidekick to reluctant mentor Black Lightning... that's a comic I'd read, watch, fanart and fistpump.

As for others: I think Cyborg works best as a Titans hero. Jon Stewart is my favorite GL because of JL. Vixen should lead the Super Buddies team as Animal Woman.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-06-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Personally, I'd go Black Lightning, but only if it includes his two daughters as well. I think that would be/is really interesting. If Blue Devil could be the Iron Fist to his Cage, that would be great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pushing only a handful of characters is not smart business sense.
    DC/Batman beg to differ. Sure other characters get it but we know whose their cash cow at the end of the day. But I never said that others won't get attention, just that Batman and WW for example are the top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ut neither approach qualify him for representing real black people in my opinion. If J'onn's disguise can be a check for diversity, it's *almost* as bad as me wearing blackface and claiming that I represent diversity. J'onn is playing the role of John; it's a role he's played for years and made his own, but it's still a role. Had J'onn grown up in that role like Clark Kent did, that'd be a different story perhaps.
    That's a good point, but why do they keep casting black actors as him if the concept is that offensive? "John Jones" was black on Smallville, he was black in the Justice League Doom animated movie, he is black on Supergirl, hell even Miss Martian took the form of a black woman on that show as well. They clearly do that for diversity reasons and if it's truly as "disgusting" as Max pointed out, why keep doing it?

How about a Cyborg/Vixen book? These characters couldn't possibly be anymore different, yet I think it might be interesting to see a human-cyborg team-up a woman wearing a magical animal mimicking totem. They can bring in the Red or even the Rot in it, or the Cyberverse(or whatever Victor called it), a story trying to mix cyberpunk with wildlife could be something else.