Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    RYV is gonna get cancelled.
    Why? Cuz I've been wanting the book for awhile, I really like it... and I just can't have nice things so its gonna be gone. T~T;

Hopefully it sticks around despite sales. (Maybe it'll sell a lot of trades?)
    If not, I hope it ends well and that the upcoming Spectacular is good.
    These sales do make me curious as to what kind of sales we can expect for Spectacular.

It's a satellite book, which gives it a 50-50 chance arguably, but it's also one starring Peter Parker and is actually in-continuity (unlike Renew Your Vows), but without a big-name writer.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    RYV is gonna get cancelled.
    Why? Cuz I've been wanting the book for awhile, I really like it... and I just can't have nice things so its gonna be gone. T~T;

Hopefully it sticks around despite sales. (Maybe it'll sell a lot of trades?)
    I'm already preordering the trade from my local comic shop.

Item Code Title/Product Price Release Date
    MAR171161 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN RENEW VOWS TP VOL 01 BRAWL IN FAMILY $15.99 06/14/17

If you can't order via LCS, there's always Amazon and they only charge you close to shipping.
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows Vol. 1: Brawl in the Family

In fairness, ASM:RYV tends to be one of Marvel's higher ranking comics via comiXology.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 03-06-2017 at 04:18 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    This basically proves two long-speculated theories:

1) ASM will always be more highly-regarded than any other Spider-Man comic, regardless of content;
    2) Alternate universe titles will always be regarded as the red-headed stepchild, regardless of content

Comic collectors are creatures of habit.
    I remember a few years ago I was trying to recommend good Superman stories to a new comic buyer. I gave up things like For the Man who Has Everything, All-Star Superman, the old 70s Curt Swan drawn comics, the triangle era, Mark Millar Superman Adventures, etc. He didnt want any of them. They weren't canon, so they didn't "count".

Like motha****er, they're all fictional stories! None of them freakin' count!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    These sales do make me curious as to what kind of sales we can expect for Spectacular.

It's a satellite book, which gives it a 50-50 chance arguably, but it's also one starring Peter Parker and is actually in-continuity (unlike Renew Your Vows), but without a big-name writer.
    I agree and that is always the danger for any satellite title but I do think there has been a desire for a non-Slott written Peter title for a while now. With the promise that this title will be a more street-level "classic" Spidey, I think it has a fairly good chance to attract a good audience. Time will tell....

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

With Spectacular I guess you can say that Zdarsky isn't so well known, but I'm not sure it's necessary with Spider-Man. The good thing is that he's well liked and people who have read his work have a good chance of seeing how he can write a good Spider-Man.

The new #1 with a traditional status quo will really help. As someone who never really read Slott outside of a few jumping on points, I can say that jumping in for a few issues of something that feels both new and classic seems less daunting than cutting into an extremely long run.

But you know... I'm absolutely and utterly just there for the Kubert. I'm sure a number of people are.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I remember a few years ago I was trying to recommend good Superman stories to a new comic buyer. I gave up things like For the Man who Has Everything, All-Star Superman, the old 70s Curt Swan drawn comics, the triangle era, Mark Millar Superman Adventures, etc. He didnt want any of them. They weren't canon, so they didn't "count".

Like motha****er, they're all fictional stories! None of them freakin' count!
    Haha, seriously. I'm really digging RYV so far, and I'm finally adding it to my pull list.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I agree and that is always the danger for any satellite title but I do think there has been a desire for a non-Slott written Peter title for a while now. With the promise that this title will be a more street-level "classic" Spidey, I think it has a fairly good chance to attract a good audience. Time will tell....
    I think Spectacular will do fine. I feel there's a big, pent-up demand for a satellite Spidey book. After all, it's been almost ten years, I think, since we've had one. And I think a lot of fans - even if they're fans of Slott's run - are craving having another voice on a key Peter Parker title. Throw in Kubert on art and that's a very attractive package for a lot of people.

I think people reading Marvel should know by now just because it takes place in an alternate reality, does not make it "not canon". How many times have we seen these multiverses cross over with each other? Spider-Gwen even treats it kind of like a joke, like each dimension is just like a different city they travel to. Even Miles, an alternate universe character, became part of main universe. There is a very possible chance there could even be a Peter 616 meets RYV Peter story sometime in the future.

That's a great thing about a lot of these writers, they can take what could be simple What If? stories, and turn them into extremely well made and engaging books.

That's the thing with Gwen - even though Web Warriors is cancelled, the team still exists. They could use the same method to have the MC2 universe crossover with 616 as well, as Mayday is also a Web Warrior. That excuse can actually be used for any spider hero in the entire Marvel multiverse! Plenty of room for offscreen recruits after all.

Well, now we get to see what not having overshipping does. And it looks like Amazing Spider-Man was the only successful comic sales estimate wise out of Clone Conspiracy, including Clone Conspiracy. Also, somewhat surprised again by Venom, and getting a little more worried about Renew Your Vows now. Oh, will anyone really remember Solo? And I'm not talking Han Solo, either.

Spider-Man Comics Sales Estimates For February 2017
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, now we get to see what not having overshipping does.
    Mike, you're like a dog with a bone when it comes to grabbing for anything that can lead you to the conclusion you want-- and that conclusion ALWAYS seems stacked against the run of a book you've been irked with since OMD.
    Please show me where Clone Conspiracy or Amazing Spider-Man has been repeatedly overshipped. Please show me where it has been overshipped at all except for the ONE time that Marvel did a linewide overship on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Mike, you're like a dog with a bone when it comes to grabbing for anything that can lead you to the conclusion you want-- and that conclusion ALWAYS seems stacked against the run of a book you've been irked with since OMD.
    Please show me where Clone Conspiracy or Amazing Spider-Man has been repeatedly overshipped. Please show me where it has been overshipped at all except for the ONE time that Marvel did a linewide overship on everything.
    My apologizes, Dan, as it wasn't my intention to suggest Clone Conspiracy or Amazing Spider-Man were being repeatedly overshipped. As you rightfully point out, the only time Amazing and Clone Conspiracy were overshipped was during that one time during January were all Marvel titles were overshipping by 10%, as reported by Comichron and Comics Beat. This month, there wasn't any overshipping. And we can see now see the difference between one month when there was overshipping, and another month in which there wasn't. Which, according to Diamond's figures, Marvel, in the month of February, had 33.64% in unit share while DC had 33.47% in unit share; compared to January 2017 where Marvel had 42.62% in unit share while DC had 31.33% in unit share.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 03-09-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Well, now we get to see what not having overshipping does. And it looks like Amazing Spider-Man was the only successful comic sales estimate wise out of Clone Conspiracy, including Clone Conspiracy. Also, somewhat surprised again by Venom, and getting a little more worried about Renew Your Vows now. Oh, will anyone really remember Solo? And I'm not talking Han Solo, either.
    If that sucker gets axed before its time, I'm so not looking forward to the "I told you sos," from the pro-OMD crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    That sounds just like every numbers discussion I've ever heard; everyone reads the numbers and can prove their own conclusion based on that, both for and against. IMHO, I tend to put more stock into reviews and what readers say about the stuff. It's only slightly less scientific and easier to prove whether the people actually getting it are liking it or not (someone could be buying a series they hate just to be complete, for example).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    (someone could be buying a series they hate just to be complete, for example).
    That argument doesn't hold up (for Marvel books at least) over time.
    There have been great stretches (YEARS) where ASM hasn't been a Top 10 book or the flagship title.
    And there have been times when X-MEN has ruled the roost, AVENGERS, even HULK and THOR.
    While a legacy book has the advantage of SOME built in audience, a long, successful run of a book has more going for it than "complete-the-set zombies". Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If that sucker gets axed before its time, I'm so not looking forward to the "I told you sos," from the pro-OMD crowd.
    i haven't seen much of that sort of schadenfreude here at least. most of the posters who are anti or indifferent to marriage seem absolutely fine with the existence of ryv. i haven't seen many (if any) posts calling for its cancellation or mocking it and its readers.

(someone could be buying a series they hate just to be complete, for example).
    i just can't believe that's a significant or powerful proportion of the sales. i mean, who has that sort of money to waste on something they don't like? but if these poor souls will buy something regardless of the content, then they're going to a a mathematical constant/base no matter who is on the book. they don't really factor in.
    troo fan or death

RYV is dropping a bit faster than I would like. A shame, as I really am enjoying it. I know AUs are a notoriously hard sell, but man...

Hey, Dan, any interest in doing a crossover between RYV and the main Spider book? You would absolutely love to do a Spidey story with Gerry Conway, wouldn't you?