Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
It's not in the writing (I have other issues with that), and as I've said, Gustin IS talented, particularly when it comes to his vocal and dancing abilities, but the way he gives this performance...it honestly reminds of Dick Grayson. Just this whole nice guy persona with an omnipresent air of arrogance around it. It wasn't TOO bad in season 1, but he just became so irritating in season 2, it's part of why I dropped the show.
I've never seen it as a persona, because Barry (and Gustin) are nice guys, and I don't think I've ever thought of Barry with this "omnipresent air of arrogance," but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

If there's one thing I've learned it's that people take different things out of different performances.

There are certainly other actors I believe have a lot of talent, primarily on Legends of Tomorrow. Manu Bennett is incredible as well, and while I haven't cared for any of his performances since season 1 of Arrow, John Barrowmen is still a treasure. But even so, I feel that Martin and Cavanaugh are far above the others (I'm reminded of an interview where James Marsters said his proudest acting moment on Buffy was any scene where we wasn't getting blown out of the water by Anthony Stewart Head) , and I do feel that, especially on Arrow and Flash, the casts acting abilities are VERY mixed. (Admittedly, It probably helps that Supergirl and Legends (as of Season 2) KNOW what kind of shows they are, for better or worse, whereas Flash and ESPECIALLY Arrow do not.)
Again, I've seen some powerful and strong stuff from the people from Arrow and Flash, even in the lesser seasons, and I think the casts on all the show are great.

But I guess that also might just be my investment in the shows and their characters talking to some degree.

I guess I can see where Arrow had a bit of an identity crisis in seasons 3-4, but that's probably where I most appreciated the actors delivering their best performances in-spite of it.