View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 15 of 111 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Doesn't make the new statement any less true.
    No...but it sort of suggests that Moon accepts the original statement...the only one I was arguing against...isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    No...but it sort of suggests that Moon accepts the original statement...the only one I was arguing against...isn't true.
    What were you even arguing against? I thought you had enough reading comprehension to get what I was saying instead of nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    What were you even arguing against? I thought you had enough reading comprehension to get what I was saying instead of nitpicking.
    Oh dear. You expect readers of your posts to understand that when you say "Nobody at DC has ever cared for Wally" you really mean "Dan Didio doesn't like Wally"??

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Oh dear. You expect readers of your posts to understand that when you say "Nobody at DC has ever cared for Wally" you really mean "Dan Didio doesn't like Wally"??
    I'm pretty sure anyone who is aware of the subject knows Wally goes downhill the moment Infinite Crisis hits. Nice nitpicking though, and definitely out of the topic here.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

CW TV FLASH's Wally West is different from any other depiction of Wally we've ever seen.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the idea that show Wally is NuWally either.

He's show Wally; and outside of his appearance he's closer to Messner Loebs Wally than anything done to NuWally so far.
    Well now you have interested me. In what ways is he like the Messner Loebs version? That's my favorite run on the book ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    CW TV FLASH's Wally West is different from any other depiction of Wally we've ever seen.

Especially since no version of Wally has even been Iris' brother instead of her nephew.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What do you mean by "original Wally"? What would it have taken to make the CW TV version of Wally the "original Wally"?
    Well they could have gotten the basis of his character right for one. Original Wally is typically portrayed as a relatable friend with a witty sense of humor. TV Wally isn't really relatable, friendly, or witty. Or charismatic, but that's another issue. The cartoons made their changes to Wally but they still got the basis of his character right. CW Wally is something else.

I don't think anyone will deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    The only thing that makes Nu!Wally and CW Wally similar is that they are both black. And imo we are overestimating how much influence CWDC has on the comics,.
    And they're the only versions of the character with a criminal backstory. And his transition into Kid Flash was a redemption arc as opposed to a depressed kid's wish fulfillment.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 04-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Well they could have gotten the basis of his character right for one. Original Wally is typically portrayed as a relatable friend with a witty sense of humor. TV Wally isn't really relatable, friendly, or witty. Or charismatic, but that's another issue. The cartoons made their changes to Wally but they still got the basis of his character right. CW Wally is something else.
    Well, I think a lot of that can be subjective.

Personally I can see how someone could still find those traits in TV!Wally just as they could in the cartoon versions of Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Personally I can see how someone could still find those traits in TV!Wally just as they could in the cartoon versions of Wally.
    Agreed. It all depends of the watcher.

Well they could have gotten the basis of his character right for one. Original Wally is typically portrayed as a relatable friend with a witty sense of humor.
    ORIGINAL Wally, as depicted in the Silver Age, was difficult to distinguish in terms of personality from original Dick Grayson, original Donna Troy, original Roy Harper, and original Garth. Like their mentors, the generation who would become the original Teen Titans all had nondescript, cookie-cutter personalities. Such was characterization during the Silver Age.

The first writer who really gave Wally (and his peers) a distinct personality was Marv Wolfman with the NEW TEEN TITANS. Though few remember Wolfman's Wally with much nostalgic warmth, it was nevertheless the first stab at distinguishing Wally as an individual from both his mentor and his peers. When Wally got his own FLASH title after COIE, Baron, Messner-Loebs, Waid, etc., would continue building around the original mold.

BANNED

Well, can you?

BANNED

ORIGINAL Wally, as depicted in the Silver Age, was difficult to distinguish in terms of personality from original Dick Grayson, original Donna Troy, original Roy Harper, and original Garth. Like their mentors, the generation who would become the original Teen Titans all had nondescript, cookie-cutter personalities. Such was characterization during the Silver Age.

The first writer who really gave Wally (and his peers) a distinct personality was Marv Wolfman with the NEW TEEN TITANS. Though few remember Wolfman's Wally with much nostalgic warmth, it was nevertheless the first stab at distinguishing Wally as an individual from both his mentor and his peers. When Wally got his own FLASH title after COIE, Baron, Messner-Loebs, Waid, etc., would continue building around the original mold.

I'm aware of the characters history and his evolution. You'll probably agree that my description fits more versions of the character than anything else, and that the TV version isn't very similar to any previous version either. But the one trait that linked all those versions, from Wolfman to Waid to Johns, was that Wally was an everyman. The show missed that aspect, it failed to capture his most important and consistent trait.

Well, can you?
    Well, I do, but again, subjective .

Well, I do, but again, subjective .
    Yeah, one man's "Everyman" could be completely unrecognizable for another man. I like CW's Wally, but if the FLASH TV show had been made in the 1970s or 1980s, we'd probably be looking at a very different portrayal of the character.