View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yeah, one man's "Everyman" could be completely unrecognizable for another man. I like CW's Wally, but if the FLASH TV show had been made in the 1970s or 1980s, we'd probably be looking at a very different portrayal of the character.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I don't care what someone else could potentially think, what do YOU think?

"Some people might disagree with that" is not a rebuttal.

I don't consider Show Wally an "everyman" but I don't consider comics Wally an everyman either. My enjoyement for a character doesn't depend of that

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I don't care what someone else could potentially think, what do YOU think?

"Some people might disagree with that" is not a rebuttal.
    CW Wally could very well be a relatable friend with a witty sense of humor. I wouldn't mind hanging out with him, but I'm old enough to be his dad. I'm much closer to Detective Joe West's age than I am to Wally's

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    CW Wally could very well be a relatable friend with a witty sense of humor. I wouldn't mind hanging out with him, but I'm old enough to be his dad. I'm much closer to Detective Joe West's age than I am to Wally's

His backstory is him doing illegal street races to pay off his dying mothers medical bills. That's not some superhero shenanigans that are unavoidable, it's his personal life. Later on he turns to vigilantism before he even gets his powers. That's a bit out of character as well. They don't do anything to make him an everyman in superheroics like all versions of the character have, and considering the really mediocre actor they gave him Im assuming they just didn't care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I don't consider Show Wally an "everyman" but I don't consider comics Wally an everyman either. My enjoyement for a character doesn't depend of that
    Courtesy of Geoff Johns

Attachment 47916

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

And they're the only versions of the character with a criminal backstory.
    Can we agree that drag racing for paying dying mother's medical bill is WAAAAAAAAAAAY different than tagging walls and robbing stores because "I'm black and angry"? I'm assuming we can, so let's move on to the really important part:

And his transition into Kid Flash was a redemption arc as opposed to a depressed kid's wish fulfillment.
    No, it wasn't that at all. His "redemption" came way before his transition to KF even became a theme. It goes like "bunch ofepisodes with sick mom" -> "dead mom" -> "I want to help people" -> "HOLY ****, Barry's is the Flash" -> "I wanna be a speedster too" -> "Why am I the only one with no powers?" -> "PLS GOD give me powers" -> "Hell yeah, I'm Kid Flash".

That has close to nothing to do with the horrendous origin they cooked up for NuWally.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    The only thing that makes Nu!Wally and CW Wally similar is that they are both black. And imo we are overestimating how much influence CWDC has on the comics,.
    Not really. NuWally did come from an attempt at synergy with the show; yet,while the show actually tried to base the character as much as they could in a way that would fit the show, comics NuWally was more like "he's black now? Ok, let's make him a thug in a hoodie!".

They came from the same impetus, but were opposites from the get go.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

A redemption arc? Wally's love for speed has been shown like hammer to head, the guy wanted to be an astronot because they were the fastest a normal human could be. And his love for drag racing fueled primarily by his love of cars because they are fast.

Being Kid Flash was a dream come true for a speed freak like him, that's why he begged for power.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    A redemption arc? Wally's love for speed has been shown like hammer to head, the guy wanted to be an astronot because they were the fastest a normal human could be. And his love for drag racing fueled primarily by his love of cars because they are fast.
    You know...CW TV Wally might not be overall too similar to any of his comic book portrayals, but your description got me to thinking that CW Wally might have some traits in common with HAL JORDAN.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post

Being Kid Flash was a dream come true for a speed freak like him, that's why he begged for power.
    I should have been more specific. His transition into a superhero didn't save him from a miserable childhood or any sort of depression, all it fulfilled for the TV version was his interest in going fast. Overall it was more about him reforming into less of a dick as opposed to rescuing him from a miserable life like comics Wally. That's another way he's similar to New 52 Wally and not the original version.
    Last edited by Atlanta96; 04-11-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Courtesy of Geoff Johns

Attachment 47916
    I'm confused . . . what is this suppose to lead to?

I get
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.
    when I try to click on "Attachment 47916"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm confused . . . what is this suppose to lead to?

I getwhen I try to click on "Attachment 47916"
    Work now?

IMG_9646.jpg

I'm a fan of Wally and I was pissed when they erased him and replaced him with a child with a weirdly offensive "white man's burden" thing going for him. But now that he's back and appearing regularly, because he IS appearing regularly, can we tone it down on the angry entitlement? I'd like him to have his own book too, but I don't think dc is assassinating the character by not giving him one. I love Jonah Hex, he doesn't have a book, Dc isn't butchering the character of Jonah Hex just because he's not getting a big push.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I'm a fan of Wally and I was pissed when they erased him and replaced him with a child with a weirdly offensive "white man's burden" thing going for him. But now that he's back and appearing regularly, because he IS appearing regularly, can we tone it down on the angry entitlement? I'd like him to have his own book too, but I don't think dc is assassinating the character by not giving him one. I love Jonah Hex, he doesn't have a book, Dc isn't butchering the character of Jonah Hex just because he's not getting a big push.
    But, he is still being sidelined. Why be happy simply because he's back when he's still not being used well?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm enjoying him being written by a writer that gets him and his voice, surrounded by characters he has meaningful relationships with (who I also like), and slowly trying to rebuild his life, with occasional interactions with Barry. I like all of that. It doesn't bother me that he's not in the main Flash book, which I consider mediocre and only follow because I'm such a fan. I have faith he'll be a big player in future stories but there's not much for me to complain about.

In broader media, I think only Young Justice has truly done him justice (no pun), and Barry is equally mistreated because exposure is worthless if its mis-characterization and no live action Barry looks or feels like Barry in the modern era.