View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I believe the only hope for Wally at the moment is if he comes back from speed force in YJ S3. I don't think he'll appear in DCEU or Titans so this is his only hope.

But yeah, this is an easy way to retire him altogether like they did Ted Kord back in the day. Maybe they should. As long as he gets a respectful send off, I'm fine with it. I'm merely interested in Flash beyond Wally - honestly all modern Barry stories are stale, boring and repetetive even though I love Barry also a lot. But his stories so far doesn't read natural and Rebirth is a mere improvement, atill not a direct home run like it should be. TV show is going downhill in quality which I dropped last season and the upcoming Flash movie doesn't look promising at all.

Either DC finds a balance by giving Wally his own corner in Keystone like Nightwing or they should just outright kill him, pronto. I don't want to see him suffer anymore.
    At the very least we need a grand, logical explanation as to why he needs a pacemaker. Good god, has it not been established that speedster metabolism puts healing into hyperdrive? We've seen multiple broken bones healed, wounds closed, noxious chemicals expelled ---a freaking EYEBALL restored--- all within an incredibly short period of time. How is a heart more complicated?

I want to see either the timeline restored or the Speed Force formed into a functioning cardiovascular organ, by golly! I can see that...a heart of pure speed force construct made to work and stay in form awake or asleep.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    . . . was excited for Jay Garrick's return . . .
    A "return" that was, what, five pages before he was gone again?

Not much of a "return" for him yet.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I meant the anticipation of his return. Figured that ending was a prelude to the restoration of the Justice Society with good old Jay and Alan Scott some time soon or why bother?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    At the very least we need a grand, logical explanation as to why he needs a pacemaker.
    Wasn't there a plotline back before CoIE where Wally had either reduced his time as Kid Flash or had given it up completely because of health reasons, saying it was killing him every time he used his super-speed?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wasn't there a plotline back before CoIE where Wally had either reduced his time as Kid Flash or had given it up completely because of health reasons, saying it was killing him every time he used his super-speed?
    Yup...and this feels like a repeat of that trope. At the very least, using this idea for Wally is redundant and unoriginal. It'd be like having Doomsday kill Superman again, or Bane break Batman's back again, or Joker bludgeoning/blowing away Robin again. Been there, done that (and it wasn't exactly a thrill the first time either).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Back then, they didn't retcon his condition into his entire history and make his accomplishments and greatest moments impossible. There's no way Wally could have been a great hero at any point in this continuity, and I don't know if they're going to fix it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Yup...and this feels like a repeat of that trope. At the very least, using this idea for Wally is redundant and unoriginal. It'd be like having Doomsday kill Superman again, or Bane break Batman's back again, or Joker bludgeoning/blowing away Robin again. Been there, done that (and it wasn't exactly a thrill the first time either).

The very last arc. of his Flash run was also dealing with this illness coming back. Needless to say, it wasn't well received then either.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The very last arc. of his Flash run was also dealing with this illness coming back. Needless to say, it wasn't well received then either.
    Yeah...since when is Wally West supposed to be the "Sick Man" of the Flash set?

Didn't the idea also rear its head in that favorite of Wally origin stories, BORN TO RUN?

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Didn't the idea also rear its head in that favorite of Wally origin stories, BORN TO RUN?

Yeah but it was quickly handwaved by Waid IIRC. Barry told him to leave being Kid Flash then Wally overcame the illness in the same summer. It was just a small hindrance.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Since the current DC Editorial heads got sick of him?

They stuck poor Alan Scott in a special suit for awhile too when he was incapacitated. That went more southern than Antarctica.

Wally needs a speedforce heart. I just finished re-reading Emergency Stop. They can do this. Make him make himself a new heart with a part of his unconscious keeping it going even when asleep or knocked out. Problem solved.

Except for the ongoing issue with Editorial whims.

It all seems a wee bit daft. Why DC hasn't done something like give Wally and Barry equal but slightly different power sets (as you've often suggested) is a real head scratcher.

Okay..I don't expect DC to monitor this thread and "filch" ideas from it, but it's a way forward that you'd think DC would have considered at some point.

If they have considered it, not obvious why they'd reject in favour of present approach.

It might all come good, of course.

Wally could have volunteered to look bad in earlier part of story to lull villain into a false sense of security. And he and Damian may have somehow have worked out Wally's health and powers needed limiting for the greater good. If Wally did volunteer for it on that basis...then I'd argue it was really heroic.

Then crisis over..health restored...and Wally can motor away at full tilt again.

It could all come right, I suppose DC has a pretty good record...though it's a fair bit below 100 percent.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Wally could have volunteered to look bad in earlier part of story to lull villain into a false sense of security.
    Thought of this too.

However, I can't help but think that the scene where Wally turns tail is uncannily similar to the scene in Justice League: Animated where Wally turns and runs away from Brainiac/Luthor as B/L watches. We see his back as Wally runs away....only for Wally to hit him from the rear. Now this was a Deadshot issue so I didn't expect Wally to win the battle, but I did expect to see him try and fail only for some good reason. Turning tail and being a coward was totally unexpected and had my jaw dropping. This was not Wally West. This was some fake. Wally might get depressed but he never gave up like that.

I'm calling this a really bad Elseworlds that I am prepared to never look at again.

I have never bought the idea of Deathstroke being a legit threat to any Titans team. Any Flash should be able to take him on easily. Heck most of the Rogues should be able to take out Deathstroke.

The Wally being a coward thing is lame.

I really don't see the huge issue with the pacemaker. They aren't going to kill him so quickly after bringing him back. It's likely a subplot to give him something to worry about for a bit. There are tons of ways to get rid of that idea if somebody cares to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    I have never bought the idea of Deathstroke being a legit threat to any Titans team. Any Flash should be able to take him on easily. Heck most of the Rogues should be able to take out Deathstroke.
    Agreed. I get Priest was writing it but seriously? Even with the Speed Force, I don't buy for a second that Slade was so much of a threat that these two teams of Titans, with two speedsters of their own, were completely helpless against him. There was nothing they could do? BS.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Not the first time they had Deathstroke unaccountably take out a speedster. Wally at that. With a freaking sword. Stupid plot development then, same today.
    DC still making the same mistakes with speedsters.