View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Admittedly I haven't read any of Barry's appearances post-revival, but does he have any feats that come close to Wally's running at 13 trillion times the speed of light? Cause I know Pre-Crisis, he most definitely did not.
    What Wally did within the DCU and what he will do now are two different things, though. Barry has the title of fastest man alive presently and I doubt that will be taken away from him, especially while he's starring in movies and on television.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Exclamation Really?

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Oh god, now I'm thinking that Rebirth is gonna end will Wally dying...

Also, not sure what Ted Kord has to do with anything, but I'm not satisfied. Yes, I'm petty because he's one of my top 10 favorite superheores, but while I like idea of him mentoring Jaime, there are 3 problems I have.

1) The current Blue Beetle book isn't very good.

2) He isn't best friends with Booster Gold. (Speaking of, where the Hell IS he?)

3) I want him back in the suit. I don't care if they give his classic suit a bit of a mondernization, but I want him in the spandex, fighting by Jaime's side.

If folks here are screaming and b!tching about how Wally West (I) was treated, think about how Ted Kord's fans feel about the way he was treated, seeing his whole life and everything he worked for get destroyed before being brutally murdered by a "so-called" friend.

Then when his best friend Booster tries to extract him into the future, that attempt is set up to fail from the get-go, forcing Ted to sacrifice himself to save the future. (Although they did leave an "out" there ...)

Then, his murderer gets resurrected - while he doesn't.

And then, the murderer proceeds to use his new lease on life to totally dishonor Ted's memory and escape justice - this time, alive.

Compared to that, Wally (I) got off lightly.

Now, as far as your points go:

1) I think the book is actually quite good; it's just not the kind of action that most folks seem to want these days. People seem to forget that "apocalypses" are NOT everyday events.

2) As much as I respect Booster's devotion to Ted, especially in trying to save his life; it's best that Ted re-establish himself as a respectable, successful businessman and super-hero independently of Booster - first.

and

3) I totally agree with you here; Ted should have Jaime fighting beside him. However, due to his heart condition, he would need to use a very special suit. Spandex is pretty well over and done; he'd have to use some sort of armor at a minimum.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What Wally did within the DCU and what he will do now are two different things, though. Barry has the title of fastest man alive presently and I doubt that will be taken away from him, especially while he's starring in movies and on television.
    It already has, according to the guys on Titans. At least at the very immediate status quo, Wally seems to be faster.

Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 03-07-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Barry and Wally are both calling themselves the Fastest Man Alive these days, and we have zero reasons to believe that Post-Flashpoint Barry is faster than Pre-Crisis Wally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    If folks here are screaming and b!tching about how Wally West (I) was treated, think about how Ted Kord's fans feel about the way he was treated, seeing his whole life and everything he worked for get destroyed before being brutally murdered by a "so-called" friend.

Then when his best friend Booster tries to extract him into the future, that attempt is set up to fail from the get-go, forcing Ted to sacrifice himself to save the future. (Although they did leave an "out" there ...)

Then, his murderer gets resurrected - while he doesn't.

And then, the murderer proceeds to use his new lease on life to totally dishonor Ted's memory and escape justice - this time, alive.

Compared to that, Wally (I) got off lightly.

Now, as far as your points go:

1) I think the book is actually quite good; it's just not the kind of action that most folks seem to want these days. People seem to forget that "apocalypses" are NOT everyday events.

2) As much as I respect Booster's devotion to Ted, especially in trying to save his life; it's best that Ted re-establish himself as a respectable, successful businessman and super-hero independently of Booster - first.

and

3) I totally agree with you here; Ted should have Jaime fighting beside him. However, due to his heart condition, he would need to use a very special suit. Spandex is pretty well over and done; he'd have to use some sort of armor at a minimum.
    Okay, I see. And yeah, RealWally has still gotten off better than a lot of other mistreated heroes.

1) My problem actually isn't the action. Giffen knows how to write Ted just fine, but I really don't think he gets Jaime and his supporting cast like John Rogers. That, and I'm not a fan of the art AT ALL.

2) Fair enough. But if Booster and Ted, the ultimate bromance, isn't brought together by the end of Rebirth, I'mma be pissed.

3) The Kingdom Come suit could work.

BANNED

https://youtu.be/5g6eZQp7UX8

See what I mean when I say DCEU Barry is a bit of a Wally ripoff? He's like, a more awkward version of Wally. He's got the snark, the witty humor, and even the fixation on souvenirs from Young Justice. I'm worried they intentionally wrote him as an amalgamation of the two because they have no plans for Wally in the DCEU.

And I personally don't care who's faster in the comics, Wally could have 2% of Barry's speed for all I care as long as his character got some actual focus. But I do like the idea of Wally's powers being more versatile and gimmicky while Barry is more skilled overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It already has, according to the guys on Titans. At least at the very immediate status quo, Wally seems to be faster.

When I actually see it in a story with both of them in it, then I will concede my position.

Treating Wally badly, no. Underutilizing him, probably.

As for who's faster of Wally or Barry: don't know, don't care. I do know that this isn't the Wally who could hit 13 trillion c; but it's also not the immediate Post-Crisis Wally who topped out at 770mph.

I'm enjoying and reading Titans right now, but I'd be happy with more Wally. I haven't read the Rebirth Barry, but I liked the early New52 version. I've read good books with both characters since the 70s, and would be happy to continue doing so.

The thing is, that while I like Wally, I don't feel he has to be the ultimate speedster. He just needs to be worth reading about. This version is, so I'm happy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    https://youtu.be/5g6eZQp7UX8

See what I mean when I say DCEU Barry is a bit of a Wally ripoff? He's like, a more awkward version of Wally. He's got the snark, the witty humor, and even the fixation on souvenirs from Young Justice. I'm worried they intentionally wrote him as an amalgamation of the two because they have no plans for Wally in the DCEU.
    You keep repeating that as if it is fact. If he is an amalgamation then he isn't a ripoff... and if he is an amalgamation of anyone it is Barry and Bart. Even Ezra Miller himself has said that much of his take on the character comes from the research that he did on Barry during his Silver Age run. If I am wrong I will eat crow and admit it but if anyone thinks a ginger Wally is any kind of priority for the DCEU then they are bonkers.

Mighty Member

People like using that feat as an example of Wally's speed. I see it both as a sample of Wally's speed and a sample of bad math/writing. If people want to use that feat as a example then you also have remember that that very same book cites that feat as being just below the speed of light.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    You keep repeating that as if it is fact. If he is an amalgamation then he isn't a ripoff... and if he is an amalgamation of anyone it is Barry and Bart. Even Ezra Miller himself has said that much of his take on the character comes from the research that he did on Barry during his Silver Age run. If I am wrong I will eat crow and admit it but if anyone thinks a ginger Wally is any kind of priority for the DCEU then they are bonkers.
    Bart? I'm not seeing it. Bart (as Impulse at least) is an amusingly obnoxious, over the top goofball. He's doesn't have the more calculated sense of humor we see from Wally and Ezra Miller as Barry. An amalgamation can still be a ripoff if enough traits, that originated from Wally, are stolen. To be fair it's too soon to tell, I'm just speculating.

Mighty Member

Not really, no.

Wally's return was something that DC had to do to stop looking like a douchy company. A gesture of good faith, if you will, so it's own fans don't hate it. Everything else in Rebirth so far could have been done sans-Wally, yet any initiative that DC took in the direction of "OK, WE`RE GIVING YOU WHAT YOU WANT" would seem hollow and fail because of it. (Wally's situation began way before the New 52, even).

So they brought him back, but bringing him back causes 2 other problems:

1) Barry remains the Flash, and it's on DC best interest that he continues to. Yet, since his return in 2008/09, he hadn't had one single great run (this is changing now). So if you put him and Wally side by side, Barry will seem lame by comparison (because Johns run was bad, Manapul's was sorta of neutered by editorial and don't get me started on Venditti). So, to really establish Barry, they have to keep them separate for a while, there's no way around it. The same applies, in a much bigger level, to NuWally.
    So much truth to these statements. Williamson may eventually be Barry's Waid but that remains to be seen. His last two arcs have been stronger, but the Godspeed arc felt similar in tone to Manapuls' Mob Rule. They were simply the intro arcs for a new writer trying to make his mark by introducing their own villain. Godspeed feels like a Zolomon rip off just as much Manapuls' Reverse Flash was an unnecessary addition of yet another evil speedster. After the Rudy West Reverse Flash was introduced I don't quite understand how editorial approved the creation of yet another evil speedster.
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 03-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Mighty Member

I want the Flash family kicking butt too, but as vocal a Wally fan as I am, I completely understand they being careful to not break the franchise again.
    I'm not sure that there a single writer out there right now who can balance a Flash family with both Barry and Wally/Wally. Just look at The Flash tv show. Those writers have tried to introduce the Flash family with the Flash team and the show is losing balance.
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 03-07-2017 at 05:11 PM.

BANNED

I'm not sure that there a single writer out there right now who can balance a Flash family with both Barry and Wally.
    Really? I don't think it's that hard to balance them if there's an actual effort made, I think Nu Wally is more of a problem if anything. It's not like the Bat-Family which is the biggest mess it's ever been, the fact that Barry and Wally are on equal terms actually simplifies things, and the rest of the Speedsters can easily act as support for those 2.

Not that I'd have a problem with a Flash Family book starring Wally and playing down Barry, but either could work.

No, you're not wrong. Every time I hear live-action Barry is really Wally in disguise, I honestly don't know what they are watching.