View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Bart? I'm not seeing it. Bart (as Impulse at least) is an amusingly obnoxious, over the top goofball. He's doesn't have the more calculated sense of humor we see from Wally and Ezra Miller as Barry. An amalgamation can still be a ripoff if enough traits, that originated from Wally, are stolen. To be fair it's too soon to tell, I'm just speculating.
    You say that as if Barry has no sense of humor... and Miller does come across as obnoxious in that clip. Miller sure isn't playing Barry as a brash but likeable hothead. Plus you yourself have said in the DCEU thread that in that clip Miller's Barry comes across more like Bart than Barry.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    People like using that feat as an example of Wally's speed. I see it both as a sample of Wally's speed and a sample of bad math/writing. If people want to use that feat as a example then you also have remember that that very same book cites that feat as being just below the speed of light.
    Bad math unfortunately pops up here and there in comic book stories.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    No, you're not wrong. Every time I hear live-action Barry is really Wally in disguise, I honestly don't know what they are watching.
    Just the very fact that people are saying that Gustin and Miller's Barry Allen are both being played just like Wally illustrates the point. How can they both be just like Wally when they are so different?

BANNED

You say that as if Barry has no sense of humor... and Miller does come across as obnoxious in that clip. Miller sure isn't playing Barry as a brash but likeable hothead. Plus you yourself have said in the DCEU thread that in that clip Miller's Barry comes across more like Bart than Barry.
    Did I? I don't remember that.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that Barry's humor is usually situational, while Wally is more witty. I thought that was a spot on description of those characters that I'd never thought of before, and I think Millers Barry comes off more witty than Barry should.

Mighty Member

Really? I don't think it's that hard to balance them if there's an actual effort made, I think Nu Wally is more of a problem if anything. It's not like the Bat-Family which is the biggest mess it's ever been, the fact that Barry and Wally are on equal terms actually simplifies things, and the rest of the Speedsters can easily act as support for those 2.
    It is easy to say that, but I just don't seeing any writer out there with the chops. It worked with Waid and Johns' run because they always kept Wally as the hero of the story and they never lost sight of that. The Flash family is just about to get super crowded... I am optimistic that maybe Williamson will be up to the task. However the Godspeed arc still felt like Blitz being written by Mark Waid's nephew...

Just the very fact that people are saying that Gustin and Miller's Barry Allen are both being played just like Wally illustrates the point. How can they both be just like Wally when they are so different?
    Well, I'm pretty sure Gustin's portrayal would not be compared to Wally today had the show tanked years ago.

BANNED

It is easy to say that, but I just don't seeing any writer out there with the chops. It worked with Waid and Johns' run because they always kept Wally as the hero of the story and they never lost sight of that. The Flash family is just about to get super crowded... I am optimistic that maybe Williamson will be up to the task. However the Godspeed arc still felt like Blitz being written by Mark Waid's nephew...
    Williamson is fine at writing Barry and Wally together when he gets the chance. I think that run would be a lot better if it was Ginger Wally as Barry's partner instead of Nu Wally. If the Flash Family book becomes a reality, I think he should take it and give the main book to someone else.

Mighty Member

Bad math unfortunately pops up here and there in comic book stories.
    Doesn't it seem like that bad math shows up especially with Flash and Superman!?

Mighty Member

Well, I'm pretty sure Gustin's portrayal would not be compared to Wally today had the show tanked years ago.
    Exactly and even prior to the show's premiere I predicted that with the show's success would come "because he is being written just like Wally" comments.

Doesn't it seem like that bad math shows up especially with Flash and Superman!?
    Wouldn't you like to see how all of these writers fared in physics class?

Mighty Member

Williamson is fine at writing Barry and Wally together when he gets the chance. I think that run would be a lot better if it was Ginger Wally as Barry's partner instead of Nu Wally. If the Flash Family book becomes a reality, I think he should take it and give the main book to someone else.
    I think Abnett possibly could do fine on a Flash family book... possibly. Balancing the family without taking away from the characters is just easier said than done.

BANNED

Exactly and even prior to the show's premiere I predicted that with the show's success would come "because he is being written just like Wally" comments.
    I used to think that but now I think he's more of a Peter Parker knockoff. He does steal features and plot points from Wally's stories though, like Zoom.

Spectacular Member

Wally West will play a big part of the DCU when the time is right around the purpose of Rebirth, in the meantime he's cementing his place back with his friends and Linda,

what more does this need? his own book, a place on the JLA or something else? the reason none of the previous are happening is because DC has just launched numerous titles and plans to launch a further more, Wally is in a good place for now, the watchmen angle is building and the Titans is a focus of that until there is more to that side of the story just keep the status quo and then later down the line launch a wally west flash book adding in the wider flash family which wally was such a big part of,

Wally has been given the prominent role in the Titans and making Wally exclusive to them is to draw attention there added to the rebuilding of everything he was as a character can't be dished up on one plate it needs to be slow and steady so new readers get to know the character too.

Wouldn't you like to see how all of these writers fared in physics class?
    Sadly, not everyone today can be like Gardner Fox, who would often research and explain scientific stuff as important parts of his plots.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

To be fair, CW Barry isn't really a carbon copy of his version in the comics. Still he's much closer to that version than he is to Wally.