View Poll Results: Does the Rebirth era do justice to the original Wally West?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's exactly what Wally needs

21 35.00%
  • No, he's been underused

39 65.00%
Page 8 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Wouldn't you like to see how all of these writers fared in physics class?
    Yeah... The Flash/Superman writers sometimes seem like they've only taken the most basic science/math classes or even worse have wikipedia/google degrees in science. I supposed it isn't any different from the Bat family writers having no practical knowledge of martial arts or athletic activity. What was reference for Cassandra Cain's reflexes? Something like running the 40 yard dash and doing two other things at the same time?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Sadly, not everyone today can be like Gardner Fox, who would often research and explain scientific stuff as important parts of his plots.
    Very true, Lee.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I used to think that but now I think he's more of a Peter Parker knockoff. He does steal features and plot points from Wally's stories though, like Zoom.
    I don't see the Peter Parker comparison either, but the plot points from Wally's stories can't be denied. As Bohemia said earlier they kind of have to steal plot points from Wally's stories because Barry hasn't had that great run with three dimensional stories that Wally had.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    Yeah... The Flash/Superman writers sometimes seem like they've only taken the most basic science/math classes or even worse have wikipedia/google degrees in science. I supposed it isn't any different from the Bat family writers having no practical knowledge of martial arts or athletic activity. What was reference for Cassandra Cain's reflexes? Something like running the 40 yard dash and doing two other things at the same time?
    Cassandra has to be a meta, because she wouldn't be able to do some of the things she can as a mere non-super human. As for martial arts, Karate Kid is the best example of scientific ignorance.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I agree, though Barry would almost certainly be the faster one and Wally would have the tricks instead.
    I'd flip it. Somehow, personality-wise, Wally is better-suited to having more raw speed, while Barry is better-suited to more refined use of superspeed.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I don't see the Peter Parker comparison either, but the plot points from Wally's stories can't be denied. As Bohemia said earlier they kind of have to steal plot points from Wally's stories because Barry hasn't had that great run with three dimensional stories that Wally had.
    tbf, borrowing story elements and borrowing personality traits are different bags of worms. And 3 seasons in, I don't really see all that much of comic Wally in tv Barry, personality wise. He's mostly just a slightly younger comic Barry but with the awkward nerd angle amped up. Plus this season he's arguably closer to traditional Barry than ever, he's mellowed out considerably, moved out of his dad's house, got engaged to Iris, acting more like a leader to his team, started to show his mentoring side with wally. I don't even like this season that much, the Savitar plot is soooo boooooring, but I think it's great how Barry is finally starting to feel like Barry.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 03-08-2017 at 03:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'd flip it. Somehow, personality-wise, Wally is better-suited to having more raw speed, while Barry is better-suited to more refined use of superspeed.

Yep. Wally even says so in Waid's run if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I'm not factoring in personalities, though, only the present status of each in the comics and beyond.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

I don't think DC is treating him badly, but until the rebirth plot really moves forward Wally is kind of stuck in limbo. I think Dc has some future plans for him, he will definitely be a part of the coming time confrontation, and as others have said on this thread Deathstoke seems to be after him for some reason in his plan to restore his son to life so that will be cool.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Mighty Member

To be fair, CW Barry isn't really a carbon copy of his version in the comics. Still he's much closer to that version than he is to Wally.
    I guarantee that if the DCEU Flash is a fan favorite then some of the same people will claim that he is Wally in personality and Barry in name. If he isn't a fan favorite then those same people will say that they should have used Wally. It is a smart bet and very predictable.

I guarantee that if the DCEU Flash is a fan favorite then some of the same people will claim that he is Wally in personality and Barry in name. If he isn't a fan favorite then those same people will say that they should have used Wally. It is a smart bet and very predictable.
    Yeah, that's not a bet I would take, FEO.

I'm not sure that there a single writer out there right now who can balance a Flash family with both Barry and Wally/Wally. Just look at The Flash tv show. Those writers have tried to introduce the Flash family with the Flash team and the show is losing balance.
    It's not Flash family's fault, it's the structure of show that refuses the addition of them. Barry Allen in TV show is a dumbass (so is in the movies unfortunately) but Barry's selling point is his maturity and being the father figure /icon to younger speedsters. They refuse to get rid of Team Flash concept, which is there for babysitting Barry. They don't let Barry to grow up into his mentor role in a beliavable way.

They will either get rid of Wally in a spin off, send him to E-2 or kill him off because his mere existence requires Barry to grow the hell up and they will never do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's not Flash family's fault, it's the structure of show that refuses the addition of them. Barry Allen in TV show is a dumbass (so is in the movies unfortunately) but Barry's selling point is his maturity and being the father figure /icon to younger speedsters. They refuse to get rid of Team Flash concept, which is there for babysitting Barry. They don't let Barry to grow up into his mentor role in a beliavable way.

They will either get rid of Wally in a spin off, send him to E-2 or kill him off because his mere existence requires Barry to grow the hell up and they will never do that.
    Wait, which movies animated or live action? Cause if it's the latter, those haven't come out yet. if it's the former, how so?

BANNED

We've got another one.
    IMG_9638.jpg

Even a year and 2 months after his return, they still have no visible plans for Wally. Barry gets to investigate the Rebirth mystery with Batman, Wally is stuck in a bloody love triangle subplot. This characters future looks worse every month.

I don't know, I think a love triangle in a comic can be pretty darn important, especially if it's being promoted in solicits .

Not that I expect the romance between Wally and Donna to be all that serious...