Default DC Should Hire Jeff Lemire to write a Superman Title- He's Quit Marvel

Marvel's Jeff Lemire is now just Jeff Lemire, his contract with Marvel having expired. I have just in the past few days been reading his Old Man Logan (2016-) comics that I picked up on sale for 99 cents each, and it's really compelling. I'd *love* to see what he can do with Superman.

Plus, putting it another way, if we're stuck with SuperDad, who in theory is a bit of an older Superman (Although this is sort of fuzzy, he definitely was older in Lois and Clark, but in true comic book tradition, his apparent age seems to be gradually getting younger), why not hire the guy who just wrote a book about an older version of Wolverine?

I think this would be a really good signing for DC Comics. Honestly, as a fan, I'd just put him on Superman over Tomasi, because I don't like the Jon-centric route Tomasi has gone with that title, but that's the one that's selling, so more realistic might be Lemire taking over Action Comics from Dan Jurgens, or getting a third title. For example, they could give him a New52 Superman alternative universe comic with free reign on the character, who wouldn't be in the other titles (Everyone who's read any of my posts knows I was going to go there at some point with this post. ). But if not that, just a Superman title that is maybe less family-centric, and a little more violent, but is the same character as in the other titles. He could also do a limited out of continuity series.

I really like this guy based on the like 8 issues of his writing I've read. Granted, that's not much. But he seems well regarded, and he seems to be a free agent now. Could potential opportunity for DC Comics and the Superman office. If DC Comics thinks as highly of him as I do, though, they'd probably just hand him a Batman book if they signed him (Old Man Bruce? Dark Knight Returns has basically already covered that ground, though, and Batman Beyond also touches on it).

Anyone know if Lemire has said anything about DC Comics in the past. Is this a potential fit for him? Has he ever said anything about Superman, Batman, and so on ad so forth? Do we know if a chance to write Superman would interest him?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.

BANNED

He's actually done quite a few comics for DC.

Animal Man, Sweet Tooth, Justice League Dark, Green Arrow, Justice League United, Teen Titans: Earth One, and a lot more. He also did a great issue of Batman/Superman, issue #10 to be exact.

He's a great writer, and I'd prefer him on either of the flagship Superman books than either Tomasi/Gelason or Jurgens.

I'm pretty satisfied with the current creative teams, but I'm a fan of Lemire, so of course I'd like to see what he could do with the character. I don't think his runs tend to last very long though.

Just as long as it's not a Super-team book, I'm good with Lemire on a Super-title .

Fantastic Member

If Jeff Lemire were to come back to the Super-family, let him have a real crack at the character he was writing before the New 52 ended his series: Conner Kent.

With his commitment to writing AND drawing Royal City, as well writing both Black Hammer and Descender (and perhaps finishing up drawing the delayed final volume of A.D. After Death) I doubt that Jeff Lemire is coming back to DC anytime soon.

In any event, the Bleeding Cool article is only speculative at this point. In his article at the end of Royal City #1, Lemire indicated he'd probably still be writing superhero comics for Marvel. So, no, he isn't (likely) coming to DC again anytime soon.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think Jeff Lemire could do good work with super dad, but Tomasi is killing it and there is no need for a creative change.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Well Jeff Lemire is a good writer, and like any good writer, he won't just copy and paste a style from one book onto another ill fitting one. Lemire wrote Old Man Logan as super violent because that's what the source material demanded of him. The original Old Man Logan was written by Mark Millar, and was extremely violent and mature. If you're looking for more of that flavor then you might as well look at Mark Millar's book.

But Lemire is versatile. His stories can be sobering, sweet, horrifying, charming, and whatever else have you. He has a sort of underlying style like all writers due, but he's pretty versatile in how he applies it to the properties. Hell, he even wrote a run on Conner Kent Superboy. I wan't super into it, but it was leagues removed from the style of Old Man Logan. Same goes for his run on Animal Man.

All that said, I'd love to read a Lemire Superman that used the current continuity. He's a smart guy so I'm sure he'd be able to "read the room" of the current taste for Superman, and craft something that bolsters it or takes it to a new level.

Mighty Member

Jeff Lemire's Superboy is the run I mourn the most from that New52 changeover. Connor attending high school in Smallville and facing rural horror threats was awesome. I'd love to see Lemire return to Connor Kent. Like others have said I don't really have a need for Lemire on a Superman ongoing, but that is simply based on the strength of the current creative teams.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Actually the Superman titles have been great. I think Lemire should be put on a Legion book asap. They're his faves!
    Last edited by Gotham Thrasher; 03-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Thrasher View Post
    Actually the Superman titles have been great. I think Lemire should be put on a Legion book asap. They're his faves!
    You must have missed his Legion story in Justice League United...

That little misstep aside, I've enjoyed everything I've read from Lemire. He'd be a great (re)addition to DC, as long as it's not on the JL or LoSH.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I really like Lemire. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a Super book. I like both books currently, so I wouldn't mind seeing Lemire on a third super book. If you like what you've read by him so far, I recommend checking out his run on Green Arrow. It was great.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You must have missed his Legion story in Justice League United...

That little misstep aside, I've enjoyed everything I've read from Lemire. He'd be a great (re)addition to DC, as long as it's not on the JL or LoSH.
    I actually haven't gotten to Justice League United yet even though I've read all of Lemire's DC work and hope to get to it soon. He's a huge fan and has gotten all of the levitz/giffen era bound in custom hardcovers!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

I know he's generally well regarded but none of his Marvel work did much for me, I made it about 7 or 8 issues into Extraordinary X-Men before calling it quits, made it 4 into Old Man Logan before realizing I don't really have much interest in reading about that character in the main universe, and made it 5 issues in to Moon Knight before giving up(that was one burned, I didn't hate X-Men or Old Man Logan, but I was so disappointed at the end of the first "arc" of MK). I love Tomasi's work on Superman and enjoy Jurgen's work to so i can't really say I'd want any changes as of yet.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

yeah I do like Jeff Lemire though, his work on Brightest day:Atom and Adventure Comics was pretty good. One thing about him is he's pretty talanted all around I could see him going to like Green Arrow or some weaker book that needs a little pick me up. I agree with SuperCrab Tomasi has been focusing a little too much on Jon but that kind of fell into his lap as jurgens created the character anyway and I think as time go on that angle will change with Supes going back to having more traditional adventures.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying