BANNED

Default Supergirl comic book from 2005. Anyone fans of that series?

In the mail I got a good amount of freebie comics where I was originally trying to buy Power Pack 1 from someone off of Amazon but the seller claimed he was out of stock but I got a big makeup freebie package of comics from old Spider Woman 1979 to 3 old Spider Man Annuals and an issue of Supergirl series from 2005.

I don't know a whole lot about the 2005 Supergirl series but didn't she team up with Power Girl in the first couple of issues or something?

Always Rakzo

Sterling Gates' run is the only thing worth reading from that series.

BANNED

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

**** NO!

This series is terrible, though I've heard it DOES get slightly better later on, with such highlights as:

Supergirl constantly fighting other heroes.

Supergirl being drawn with the proportions of a piece of string.

Supergirl being an enormous to bitch to everyone around her, including her boyfriend, Captain Boomerang, yes really.

An issue which features EvilCass (HAAAAAAAATE)

And, of course

The issue where Kara sells Kandor into slavery.

I were you, I'd burn these comics, and go buy the first trade of Peter David's Supergirl run. Its quite good.

BANNED

I don't even know who that is. The 2005 series of Supergirl it have any good minor story arcs besides the usual dragged on longer story arcs?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    I don't even know who that is. The 2005 series of Supergirl it have any good minor story arcs besides the usual dragged on longer story arcs?
    Don't know who who is?

And, like I said, from what I've heard, the series stops being crap later on, but NONE of its storylines are famous or memorable, or even particularly great. The improvements just took it from trash to average.

BANNED

Sterling Gate.

I said I don't know who he is.

ANYWAYZ. The 2005 Supergirl can't be that "bad" I'll decide for myself if the other issues are good or not. I got issue 17 in the mail I might as well buy a couple of other single issues to read. So her "boyfriend; is Boomerang huh? Really?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Sterling Gate.

I said I don't know who he is.

ANYWAYZ. The 2005 Supergirl can't be that "bad" I'll decide for myself if the other issues are good or not. I got issue 17 in the mail I might as well buy a couple of other single issues to read. So her "boyfriend; is Boomerang huh? Really?
    Yup. He's the second Captain Boomerang, the son of the original Captain Boomerang who died in Identity Crisis. Despite Kara being a bitch to him, he's a rather nice guy...at least until Geoff Johns wanted to make people hate him so they'd be happy when he brought back the original Boomerang, and so he made Captain Boomerang Jr. uncharacteristically evil in Blackest Night, having him slaughter women and children.

But really dude, please don't spend money on those comics. They really are horrid.

I don't know any. Even the angel/linda danvers weird-as-**** Supergirl series has more fans.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I don't know any. Even the angel/linda danvers weird-as-**** Supergirl series has more fans.
    I LOVE the Matrix/Linda Danvers Supergirl series!

Matrix>>>>>Kara

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Matrix supergirl is goodstuff too. Call me crazy but I actually liked this series, maybe nostalgia as this was around the time when I first started reading new comics on like a month to month basis. But I was just glad to see Kara return to the DCU proper at the time and didn't really care if the stories weren't out of this world or anything. And in it's defense it is way better for me than the current TV rip off Supergirl.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

BANNED

I liked the Sterling Gates run when it was first coming out. If I were to read it now, I'd probably hate it.

If you want a good Supergirl comic, I recommend the recent Supergirl: Being Super. It's a 3 issue mini, and only two issues are out so far, but I began reading it after the 2nd issue came out, and it's easily the best Supergirl comic I've read, ever.

But don't go into it expecting your usual superhero style comic, because that's now what it is.

I didn't buy / read it (I wasn't buying comic books during that period), but it looks like the 2005 series grew out of Superman/Batman #8-13 by Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner.
    In that arc, a Supergirl who was actually Kal-El's cousin, Kara Zor-El, was reintroduced into the main DC universe continuity.

As for the Supergirl series, that looks like it went through quite a few writers between 2005 and the end of the run just prior to Flashpoint/the New 52, so the quality of the series probably varies greatly.

If you're interested, two volumes of trade paperback collections of that run have already been released in the past year or so; a third volume is due out in the spring.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...-girl-of-steel

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...king-the-chain

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...sts-of-krypton

Astonishing Member

It's... OK. The early parts of the run were honestly passable but mostly just bad because it's not really anything one would want to read Supergirl as.

Still even during the run a LOT of fans were pretty vocal about how clearly unheroic Kara is during that time to the point Miss Martian was viewed as a much closer spritual succesor to Supergirl than SUPERGIRL was at the time. Similarly folks LOVED when they introduced Terra/Atlee in her comic. Though it was in truth the weakest of Atlee's appearances because so much of that story focus was on Kara.

I'm not sure anyone really understands what was going on with the book at that point. It was somewhat helped by the fact they seemed to be implying Zor-El brainwashed Kara (a plot in of itself in the run) but it didn't make it so pleasant to read.