Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Just out of curiosity, are you using any standard besides your own personal feelings. Because if the category is "Which movie franchise does Selina enjoy more?", then I will gladly concede that the X-Men movies are miles ahead of the MCU.

But if you look at any objective standard, you get different results.

For critical acclaim, I went to Rotten Tomatoes and found the following:

The highest critical score for X-Men movies is Logan at 92. The highest score for MCU is Iron Man at 94. Result: MCU wins.
    The lowest critical score for X-Men movies is X-Men Origins: Wolverine at 38. The lowest score for MCU is Thor: The Dark Age at 66. Result: MCU wins
    X-Men have 7 fresh ratings and 3 rotten ratings, giving them 70% of their movies are fresh. MCU has 14 fresh ratings and 0 rotten ratings, giving them 100% of their movies are fresh. Result: MCU wins
    The average rating for X-men is 73.3. The average rating for MCU is 81.6. Result: MCU wins

Now let's look financial performance. I am using the worldwide totals from Box Office Mojo. I am not including Logan, since it just opened and would bring the X-Men scores down since it has not finished its theatrical run.

Highest global gross for X-Men is Days of Future Past with $748 million. Highest global gross for MCU is Avengers with $1,519 million. Result: MCU wins
    Lowest global gross for X-Men is X-Men (the first movie). Lowest global gross for MCU is Incredible Hulk with $263 million. Result: X-Men wins
    Average global gross for X-Men movies is $487 Million. Average global gross for MCU is 779 million. Result: MCU wins

Now I have many arguments about why MCU is the better franchise, but most of those are my own personal feelings. And you will never convince me that the X-Men movies are better, just as I'm sure I will never convince you the MCU movies are better. But these are our own subjective tastes.

Every single one of your "facts" is an opinion. Instead of naming the thread "The Truth About the MCU and XCU Movies Directly Compared Eachother" it should be named "My personal opinions about MCU compared to XCU".

Of course, this is all my opinion*.

* Except for the RT and BOM scores and averages. Those are facts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you using any standard besides your own personal feelings. Because if the category is "Which movie franchise does Selina enjoy more?", then I will gladly concede that the X-Men movies are miles ahead of the MCU.

But if you look at any objective standard, you get different results.

For critical acclaim, I went to Rotten Tomatoes and found the following:

The highest critical score for X-Men movies is Logan at 92. The highest score for MCU is Iron Man at 94. Result: MCU wins.
    The lowest critical score for X-Men movies is X-Men Origins: Wolverine at 38. The lowest score for MCU is Thor: The Dark Age at 66. Result: MCU wins
    X-Men have 7 fresh ratings and 3 rotten ratings, giving them 70% of their movies are fresh. MCU has 14 fresh ratings and 0 rotten ratings, giving them 100% of their movies are fresh. Result: MCU wins
    The average rating for X-men is 73.3. The average rating for MCU is 81.6. Result: MCU wins

Now let's look financial performance. I am using the worldwide totals from Box Office Mojo. I am not including Logan, since it just opened and would bring the X-Men scores down since it has not finished its theatrical run.

Highest global gross for X-Men is Days of Future Past with $748 million. Highest global gross for MCU is Avengers with $1,519 million. Result: MCU wins
    Lowest global gross for X-Men is X-Men (the first movie). Lowest global gross for MCU is Incredible Hulk with $263 million. Result: X-Men wins
    Average global gross for X-Men movies is $487 Million. Average global gross for MCU is 779 million. Result: MCU wins

Now I have many arguments about why MCU is the better franchise, but most of those are my own personal feelings. And you will never convince me that the X-Men movies are better, just as I'm sure I will never convince you the MCU movies are better. But these are our own subjective tastes.

Every single one of your "facts" is an opinion. Instead of naming the thread "The Truth About the MCU and XCU Movies Directly Compared Eachother" it should be named "My personal opinions about MCU compared to XCU".

Of course, this is all my opinion*.

* Except for the RT and BOM scores and averages. Those are facts.

hmmm, intresting..I wrote about the rt thing to prove it was meaninglessness in a real debate of substance.

TDKR is the weakest film in the nolan trilogy and it has better rt and box office than batman begins. it is simple to explain rt and box office with mcu movies.

RT

Critics go easy on mcu movies that is has become a running a joke with mcu movies.

Box Office

MCU movies are disney movies made for kids to sell toys.

that is why I gave actual reason why the x-men movies were stronger and what you did was hide behind little substance.

shakendo and ghostbuster 2013 have good rt scores too.

Sorry but I stand by real evidence since there has never been any ranking or confession by anyone that has said a movie is better than another movie because of rt scores and box office alone.

if deadpool, x2, fc, logan, dofp was made by the mcu their scores will be 95% and above on rt.
    the wolverine will be in the low 80s.

that is the rt equilvent of x-men movies as mcu movies.

rt weakened itself when critics chose to always give mcu movies a pass.

the plot of dr strange was heavily criticised by critics but the film still got a pass because of the dazzling visual effects, how does that make the movie stronger than X2, X-men or first class?

infact dr strange has a higher rt score than Inception. which is a superior movie in every way imaginable.

how come mcu fans rely on the weakest defence in proving their films are better than others.

they cant give real reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    hmmm, intresting..I wrote about the rt thing to prove it was meaninglessness in a real debate of substance.

TDKR is the weakest film in the nolan trilogy and it has better rt and box office than batman begins. it is simple to explain rt and box office with mcu movies.

RT

Critics go easy on mcu movies that is has become a running a joke with mcu movies.

Box Office

that is why I gave actual reason why the x-men movies were stronger and what you did was hide behind little substance.

Sorry but I stand by real evidence since there has never been any ranking or confession by anyone that has said a movie is better than another movie because of rt scores and box office alone.

if deadpool, x2, fc, logan, dofp was made by the mcu their scores will be 95% and above on rt.

the plot of dr strange was heavily criticised by critics but the film still got a pass because of the dazzling visual effects, how does that make the movie stronger than X2, X-men or first class?

infact dr strange has a higher rt score than Inception. which is a superior movie in every way imaginable.

how come mcu fans rely on the weakest defence in proving their films are better than others.

Becauase some of us don't feel the need to give any sort of reason of our personal feeling as there is not such as an objective "truth" in this forced contest you(or people like you) keep on pulling on. At the veeeery best they are equal on overall terms(X-men movies tend to have a more serious tone and better stories, well for most part, but MCU have better action and generally better production value).
    Selina...the truth is that i'm for most part tired.
    And with this i'm out.

MCU fans cant argue that their movies are any good compared to great x-men
    Sure I can. I might later if I get tired of yelling at this brick wall.

One thing I will add real quick though. Selina. PLEASE start using capital letters in your sentences. Please. Especially if you want anyone to take your seriously.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 03-07-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Sure I can. I might later if I get tired of yelling at this brick wall.

One thing I will add real quick though. Selina. PLEASE start using capital letters in your sentences. Please. Especially if you want anyone to take your seriously.
    Don't give him suggestion, or before we ever know he will type in ALL CAPS!! ALL THE TIME!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post

RT

Box Office

Every single sentence you wrote above is an opinion. There is not one objective fact in there.

Critics give better reviews for MCU movies because they feel the MCU movies are entertaining, well made, and overall good. The fact that you disagree with them does not invalidate them.

Do you really think there is a conspiracy for movie reviewers to give good reviews based on the studio or franchise? I've read this before about the DCEU movies and there is not one shred of evidence to support it.

X-Men movies do get good reviews from critics, when the critics feel that the movie is good. Logan and Days of Future Past both are over 90%. The idea that critics intentionally overpraise MCU and underpraise other franchises is veering into conspiracy theory.

And I use Rotten Tomatoes because it is the only site that collections multiple reviews to see what an overall critical consensus. It provides objective facts and evidence. You have provided nothing but your own opinion. And when the facts conflict with your opinion, then you disregard the facts. At no point have you provided any proof that the XCU is better received than MCU.

Defenders of the MCU cite RT because it provides an objective standard to measure. you have provided nothing. When you reply please explain the objective data you are using and why is is more accurate than the RT methodology. Because everything quoted above is your own personal opinion and nothing more.

For someone who hates the MCU movies, you sure are obsessed with talking about them Selina.

Opinions aside the MCU has made more movies, more money and has been exceedingly consistent throughout its existence, all while earning more praise from a wider audience than the older and a lot less consistent Foxverse. Lets not forget they did this with lesser recognizable characters than the widely popular X-Men. DP is the best thing the Foxverse has done in recent times (haven't seen logan yet) but I'll say it's another win for Foxverse that's still 2 while the MCU churns out good or great films every year. I'm very much a X-Men fan but I can't argue the facts.

Astonishing Member

I actually like both franchises, I think the best X-Men films can go toe to toe with the best MCU films, but the X-Men films are more hit and miss. With the X-Men it is big highs and lows while the MCU is consistently good. The MCU has never made anything as bad as Origins, but the best X-Men films are among the best comic book movies IMO.

I will say both the MCU and Fox X-Men are better then the DCEU and Fox cannot make a good FF film to save its life, that franchise needs to go back to Marvel. At least with X-Men Fox is taking a few chances and doing things differently from other studios. Deadpool and Logan are more daring then Apocalypse, which was a very generic comic book movie, with CGI special effects ending and a generic evil blue villain.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 03-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Good lord.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Opinions aside the MCU has made more movies, more money and has been exceedingly consistent throughout its existence, all while earning more praise from a wider audience than the older and a lot less consistent Foxverse. Lets not forget they did this with lesser recognizable characters than the widely popular X-Men. DP is the best thing the Foxverse has done in recent times (haven't seen logan yet) but I'll say it's another win for Foxverse that's still 2 while the MCU churns out good or great films every year. I'm very much a X-Men fan but I can't argue the facts.
    Only 2 wins? Days of Future Past killed the hype of Winter Soldier (critically). X1 basically made this CBM renaissance we have now possible. X2 is one of the first truly great modern CBMs.

Every time Fox hits it out of the park, they really hit it out of the park. The MCU is far more consistent, yes, but X2, DoFP, DP, and, especially, Logan simply offer things that the MCU doesn't, and I'd take them over every MCU movie.

I want to see the MCU do a movie that moves me emotionally, or makes me believe these characters are real people rather than caricatures. I think I may get that with Spider-Man, and Black Panther, but not with GotG2, and, good lord, definitely not Thor 3.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

In regards to the F4, I think Fox needs to pitch the property to creators, and create a legit writers room, that involves writers, directors and producers that give a damn. Let them do their thing, and we might get a Logan, DP, or at least a First Class level quality of F4 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Only 2 wins? Days of Future Past killed the hype of Winter Soldier (critically). X1 basically made this CBM renaissance we have now possible. X2 is one of the first truly great modern CBMs.
    I said recently and DoFP did nothing to WS, by the time DoFP came WS was almost 2 months old and it had already solidified its place as one of the best movies from the MCU and making CA the new MCU it guy. What did DoFP do that was memorable except "fix"the muffled timeline? I just didn't think it was that good of a movie. And it can be argued that Blade actually kicked things off not X-Men but w/e. X2 was good but that was YEARS ago.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Truth is that the MCU feel like Marvel movies and are just plain better. The Fox movies lack heart and direction when they aren't pushing Wolverine.

Deadpool is the exception as unlike the Fox team that spits on the source material and only tries to push profits with their bad ideas, RR actually loves the source material and understands what makes the character great.

I Equally like DOFP and Winter Soldier for different reasons. Winter Soldier is the first MCU movie that feels like having substance IMO. It has some great ground action too.
    DOFP is a political CBM that has great cinematic sci-fi action sequences. For me, they both equally great.

Now, First Class for me is definitely better than Thor or the First Avenger. First class has more substance and emotion with some cool action (mostly from Magneto), while Avengers is fun superhero movie. I also think Avengers has the hype of the first MCU team-up movie.

First Class is actually the first time I watch Jennifer Lawrence in a movie and immediately think she'll be a great actress. I love her in First Class more than any of the Hunger Games movie.