Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Tim Sale's artistic style in The Long Halloween, Dark Victory etc

Hi I'm a major batman fan, I've been for about 5 years now but I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now. Does anyone else think that Tim Sale's artwork In the long halloween just ruins it? Although I did overall enjoy the series. Now don't get me wrong, I can handle non new 52 art style but I don't know I don't like Tim sales style

I wouldn't say his art "ruins it" but I've never been the biggest Sale fan, especially his Batman (his Catwoman/Selina is pretty great, though).

So, I do know where you're coming from. With Sale, I think you either love that style, or you don't, and I know there are a fair amount of Sale fans around this board.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I wouldn't say his art "ruins it" but I've never been the biggest Sale fan, especially his Batman (his Catwoman/Selina is pretty great, though).

So, I do know where you're coming from. With Sale, I think you either love that style, or you don't, and I know there are a fair amount of Sale fans around this board.
    Yeah, I think Greg Capullo and grant Morrison are the best IMO

See, for me, Sale's art is what makes it.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I also like the art for the Long Halloween. The first time I read it, the art was a little off putting but now I really appreciate it.

Spectacular Member

I've actually been looking at his art in other books. He does make a nice hulk

Love his art. Long Halloween may be his best work. I actually watched him draw for about 40 minutes and was surprised at how much attention to detail he put in where as I had assumed he was more quick and sporadic. But quite the opposite. A real master and very pleasant to meet.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Same here. Significantly.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Tim Sale's art is pretty much the only thing that makes it readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Tim Sale's art is pretty much the only thing that makes it readable.
    I wouldn't go that far. I really, really enjoyed it and it was really the perfect introduction to the Batman mythos. Is it the best story ever written? Absolutely not, but where Year One is steak, The Long Halloween is a damn good burger.

But yes, Tim Sale is easily the best part and does a lot to hide the script's flaws.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that I didn't like the story and it remains the one comic where Sale didn't work for me.

Actually, I didn't read For All Seasons because Sale's Superman weirds me out, but still.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 07-07-2014 at 06:16 PM.

I agree that Sale's art makes TLH what it is. I also agree that Sale could be a big turn-off to people who aren't used to that kind of artwork. Many comic artists are very "clean" in their style and they tend to draw characters more-or-less proportional to what they'd look like in real life (say, Alan Davis or Mark Bagley). And then you've got sale, who has Batman built like a brick outhouse, the Joker with several hundred teeth, the Scarecrow as inhumanly skinny, Solomon Grundy as a giant, and so forth. It's not for everybody, but it does give TLH its unique "voice."

What bothered me more was Loeb's stilted portrayal of several of the characters. My recollection was that a lot of the characters' personalities were "off" from what was being published in the main Batbooks, particularly the Scarecrow and maybe some others.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, his art is an acquired taste. Personally love his work and found it godlike on Batman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Literally the only thing I didn't like about his art in Long Halloween was Joker's mouth. Everything else was phenomenal.

Incredible Member

I hated it on my first read, and really appreciated it after that. I just don't like the Joker's teeth I guess.