Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

This story has been absolutely brilliant so far. The only part that kind of tripped me up is how it referenced Superman, Lois, and Jon and then also we saw Kal-L, Lois, and what I assume is Superboy-Prime before he went bonkers. That and I guess I don't quite understand how we isn't aware of Flashpoint. He doesn't understand that there was a new Superman on New Earth. Hopefully some light gets shed on that aspect of the story.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Any chance for a merger?
    I actually predicted this back during the Last Days Of Superman run. I thought Superdad and Nuperman would somehow be merged by the Universe or at the very least their brainwaves would be synced so the memories of both men were in 1 place and there would be no more of this "These aren't my friends" talk. Especially towards Bruce. It just feels wrong that he is so offput by him. Even Kal-L was cool with Bruce in Infinite Crisis.

DC Comics Historian

I also absolutely love that there is only one Myx spread across all media. That was truly and inspired decision.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, since Jon just got his own book, I doubt that they'll be removing him from continuity anytime soon. It almost sounds like Oz is being set up as a red herring. Someone not at all connected to Rebirth or Superman but someone who has his own agenda and is just taking advantage of it. In other words, the reason why we have two Supermen and Lois's is because of something else. Now I have to pick up Superwoman to find out how this merge is going to work, which looks like it's all but confirmed.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    MAJOR SPOILER FROM SUPERWOMAN:

https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-cont...-1-600x919.jpg

spoilers:
    It's confirmed New 52 Lois is Pre-Flashpoint Lois.

It's confirmed they will become whole again.

It's been confirmed the Universe will re-arrange itself.
    end of spoilers
    Interesting. I need to read the whole issue, but I think that this scene pretty much confirms the whole "New 52 was like the House of M of the DCU" theory. If Nuperman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman are one and the same, then its likely that Pre-Flashpoint Superman is just the "result" of Nuperman regaining the 10 years that were stolen off his life by Dr. Manhattan. So, basically what the Rebirth one shot told us from the beginning.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    This story has been absolutely brilliant so far. The only part that kind of tripped me up is how it referenced Superman, Lois, and Jon and then also we saw Kal-L, Lois, and what I assume is Superboy-Prime before he went bonkers. That and I guess I don't quite understand how we isn't aware of Flashpoint.
    It's not in reference to prime or really Kal-L, honestly. It's just the general/classic representation of the concept of a Superman, Lois, and Superboy. You can draw parallels to the idea that both the Kent family, and Kal-L, Lois E-2, and Prime are refugees from dead worlds, if you like. But the main idea for that image, as far as I can tell at this time, is to represent Superman, Lois, and Superboy.

He doesn't understand that there was a new Superman on New Earth. Hopefully some light gets shed on that aspect of the story.
    Dini makes this into a joke. Mxy says that he's supposed to be back every 30 days, but then he's like "sometimes it's a year....maybe six." This is in reference to the fact that in the six years of the New 52's lifespan we haven't had a PROPER Mxy story (Morrison's arc still isn't that). It's meta commentary that should be take at face value because we've established that Mxy is well aware of the fictional world. Mxy is was aware of the New 52, but Oz held him for the lion's share of the New 52. This means he didn't know that a Superman died and another took his place (but to Mxy, it's all the same guy), or that Superman had been outed as Clark. That was Mxy's big confusion as far as continuity goes.

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. Everyone's saying this is brilliant ( I hope it is) but man does this sound dull. :/

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

This story has been absolutely brilliant so far. The only part that kind of tripped me up is how it referenced Superman, Lois, and Jon and then also we saw Kal-L, Lois, and what I assume is Superboy-Prime before he went bonkers. .
    That was the Silver Age Supes/Lois and Pre-Crisis Superboy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Interesting. I need to read the whole issue, but I think that this scene pretty much confirms the whole "New 52 was like the House of M of the DCU" theory. If Nuperman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman are one and the same, then its likely that Pre-Flashpoint Superman is just the "result" of Nuperman regaining the 10 years that were stolen off his life by Dr. Manhattan. So, basically what the Rebirth one shot told us from the beginning.
    meh, I read the whole issue this morning. And yes it doesn't contradict the Rebirth one shot. The whole thing happens in Lana's dream. New 52 Supes get's his red energy back from Lana and "so he can go back to where he came from" wherever that is. But Action 975 reaffirms Mr.Oz's obsession with Superman, like when he first appeared, his claiming he "taught" him things. Whoever Mr. Oz is he has some role in New 52 Supes creation. The big bad of this arc is Mxy, and he doesn't seem particularly interested in resetting the universe lol. I actually thought like some on here that Mxy had something to do with the creation of New 52 supes but after Action 975 that doesn't seem particularly likely. I think your "House of M" analogy isn't a bad one. Another comparison I would throw out it Oliver in "Quiver" he merges with himself in heaven to become a complete person. But it doesn't drastically alter his memories or reset continuity or anything. Hopefully when Lana wakes up from her stasis at the fortress we can find out whats going on. But I still think it's very likely that New 52 supes, whatever he turns out to be, his time as Superman will still be remembered. If Wonder Woman/Flash/Everyone else remembers they're time in the New 52 universe then presumably they would still have to remember A Superman. (Unless DC feels like erasing the entire Tomasi run from existince, which they won't do)
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

This story has been absolutely brilliant so far. The only part that kind of tripped me up is how it referenced Superman, Lois, and Jon and then also we saw Kal-L, Lois, and what I assume is Superboy-Prime before he went bonkers. That and I guess I don't quite understand how we isn't aware of Flashpoint. He doesn't understand that there was a new Superman on New Earth. Hopefully some light gets shed on that aspect of the story.
    That was a reference to the Silver Age Superman, Lois, and their Super-son. A neat tie-in to the current status quo which has been, until recently, only seen in "imaginary stories."

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Hmmm. Everyone's saying this is brilliant ( I hope it is) but man does this sound dull. :/
    It's far from dull. The only complaint I have is that the party by Jurgens is too short and that the Dini part isn't longer. Also, that Paul Dini isn't writing Superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    That was a reference to the Silver Age Superman, Lois, and their Super-son. A neat tie-in to the current status quo which has been, until recently, only seen in "imaginary stories."
    Yup that's a great interpretation of it. I'd almost forgotten about the original imaginary story that the concept of Jon was born from. Fitting that the master of imagination, Mxy, will be the starting point of where Jon becomes firmly integrated into the DCU proper as Lois and Clark's real son. This idea alone makes this issue clever as hell. Great catch!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Glad I didn't spoil myself and got to see the reveal in the book itself. A very interesting twist and I loved the talk between Mxy and Jon.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    huh, I just read that part again, do you remember what issue that super family reference could be from, I'm drawing a blank here.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Maybe Trump is the President we deserve if People are willing to swallow this level of Alternative Fact bullshit. Mr. Mxyzptlk was in the First Action Comics story line of the New 52 so how can they say he was forgotten? Hell He was the Reason the Kents were bumped off.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Does anyone remember the Future's end event from before convergence where they were leaving little clues about what was coming in future story lines? There was one issue where they had a sand superman that basically gave random people one of Superman's powers. If I remember correctly, that sand creature was sent by Mr. Mxyzptlk to teach superman a lesson to help him out. This Future's End storyline seems to reference a lot of elements that would come later in hindsight, although in a warped sort of way: Superman having a beard at some point, New 52 Superman and Lois turning to sand when they die, the break up with Wonder Woman, and now Mr. Mxyzptlk. I wonder what else might be in that story that serves as a hint?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Honestly, I'm kind of ready to move on. We've been dragging this "Is he the REAL Superman?" stuff out for a year now and it's starting to look a little silly. I don't have the patience for this kind of thing like I used to. I just want them to resolve his backstory once and for all and move forward. I can't imagine there is any way to resolve it that isn't convoluted and confusing to new readers. Other than to say the entire Lois and Clark mini never really happened and they've been here the whole time.
    Assassinate Putin!