Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    MAJOR SPOILER FROM SUPERWOMAN:

https://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-cont...-1-600x919.jpg

spoilers:
    It's confirmed New 52 Lois is Pre-Flashpoint Lois.

It's confirmed they will become whole again.

It's been confirmed the Universe will re-arrange itself.
    end of spoilers
    With all due respect I read the entire issue and I would say that saying they are parts of the original heroes in that Lois and Clark from the New 52 are part of the Post-Crisis versions is a bit of a stretch. For one this was a dream sequence and they didn't confirm either way where it was that they seemingly came from. So the jury is still out on that although it would make a lot of sense given what we have seen in the past in the likes of Infinite Crisis of heroes being split apart and put back together.

Just my two cents.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    Dini's back-up was on point, it kind of sold me on Mxy...

The million dollar question now. Who the hell is OZ!?
    It looks like it will be continued over the course of the crossover tho. It did say NEXT on the last page. So I am sure there will be another backup

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Was Dini trying to imply that there is only one Mxyzptlk in the multiverse?
    Yes. Just like Darkseid, the new Gods, etc etc. Which IMO is an inspired decision considering he is from another dimension as is Apokolips. It all comes together quite nicely.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    We don't know that yet, no ? For all we know, there is only one Manhattan. But all of this makes me question who Oz is. He can't be Ozymandias, that guy was a genius, but still limited to human-level machineries (even his alien monster was the result of years of work with a lot of brilliant scientists and artists). Mr. Oz just trapped a god in his bottle as if it wasn't much, and clearly was acting as if he was on the same level as Mxy. That's something else altogether.
    I don't agree. I think he very much is Ozymandias and he is working with Manhattan. It would almost seem to me that Manhattan has more or less kind of Matrix'd out heroes and whatever this universe is is a massive construct in which they can add and delete on a whim. If you think of it from that perspective it's a theory worth considering.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    That being the case, Mxy is now on the level of Darkseid and other godlike beings in the Multiverse. Even Manhattan doesn't exist as a singular being within the Multiverse. The implications are fascinating.
    Definitely, however, this was also alluded to in the first run of Superman/Batman back in 04-07 as in issue 24 we are shown he and the Joker playing cosmic chess as well as different aspects of the multiverse at the time of 52.

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Hmmm. Everyone's saying this is brilliant ( I hope it is) but man does this sound dull. :/
    If it ends as strongly as it has begun it may be one of the best Superman stories ever written. Ever since Convergence began everything in regards to Post-Crisis Superman coming back has been intricate yet tightly woven across many titles. For a company that is constantly mired in continuity errors and nonsensical retcons this one has truly been inspired and well executed. Not since Hush, Under The Red Hood, and Batman RIP have I been so looking forward to Wednesday for the next issue of a story. So well done DC. Well done indeed.

By all rights, it should be a complete mess. But it's not.

Mighty Member

Did I miss something? Why are people blaming Vyn's actions on Mxy? It seemed to me that Mxy was barely a factor in that whole arc except as a single aspect of Vyn's warped motivations.

man this issue was really good, I just wish I wasn't such a wimp and looked at spoilers. I really hope Oz plays a bigger role in the backhalf of the event though. Right now I'm ok with this being a mostly Mxy story, but I want some answers, or at least some intriguing hints about Oz.

BANNED

http://imgur.com/a/MeNrs

Click the link here to read all the connecting links back to Morrisons action comics XD It blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    and then also we saw Kal-L, Lois, and what I assume is Superboy-Prime before he went bonkers.
    I think that was Earth-2 Superboy. He and Superboy Prime looked identical until Prime went off the rails. Prime was hanging out a lot with Earth-2 Superman, but this was after Earth-2 Superboy's death, I think. It's easy to read certain books without the backstory and just assume Prime is the first Superboy Earth-2 Superman met, because they spend a lot of time together and have a close relationship in some big event books. I mean, really, it could be either one- they look the same, they both hung out with the people they're pictured with, etc..

1. I was disappointed that it wound up being Mxy. The reasoning made sense, putting aside for a moment a matter which I will address in point 2 of the post, and it's better than like having it be Toyman or something equally inane. They did do a good job of showing how deep Mxy is in the Superman mythos in the issue itself. At one point he says something like "I was even in the cartoon show!", which, I'll admit did evoke a chuckle on my part.

However, I felt like here we had a story with a lot of dramatic tension prior to this issue. Who is Mystery Clark Kent? Who stole Jon and erased him? Will the Smiths get their son back? All those sort of things, where there's sort of a tension and a drama there. I'm not saying it was perfect by any means, but it felt like a serious story for the characters even if we all know roughly how it's going to work out in the end and so forth.

Once the reveal was that it was Mxy, it's like all the oxygen went out of the room and was replaced by laughing gas. As Mxy sort of points out, he's been around a long time. He loves Superman. Sure, he antagonizes Superman, but it's to make mischief. At no point do I feel like even within the fictional universe and putting aside what we know about real world editorial directions and such that he's not going to give Jon back. He's going to give Jon back. He'll mess with Superman for a while and then Jon goes back. Mxy is not Superboy Prime. Mxy reminds me of my dog when he was a puppy- yeah, he'd push limits, he'd nip at me, he'd screw with me; but it was all a big game for him; at the end the day, he wasn't going to maul me to death, I was his human.

To me, Mxy is best in a comic relief issue where Superman gets really mad at funny antics and then occasionally, because Mxy is a 5th dimension imp, he says something profound and cosmic and thought provoking that evokes a sense of wonder. What Mxy does not evoke, for me, is dramatic tension.

Air out of the balloon...

2. While I understand that Mxy is not going to reference his adventures with New52 Superman, necessarily, while dealing with Rebirth Superman, and Rebirth Superman wouldn't necessarily be aware of them and thus wouldn't reference them himself, the timeline doesn't add up for this Mxy to be the Mxy who was in the New52 Action Comics as far as I am aware. Also, the attitude doesn't line up. Mxy from the New52 owes Superman a huge debt of gratitude for vanquishing his rival and setting him up with the princess. You'd think that would play into a story arc predicated on "Superman doesn't care about me" in which Mxy either explicitly or through imagery references a lot of variant Supermen including cartoon show Superman and lego Superman. Also, the reference to his "hot girlfriend" didn't really line up either.

This was a huge New52 story-arc. It even had a Superman Red and Superman Blue, which this week's Superwoman gives me the impression will figure into the Reborn arc. So, it's a huge huge huge thing for the editors and the writer to overlook. Come on, Jurgens. The question becomes- Did they not read the New52? Or do they just not care? Either way, it doesn't reflect way on them.

3. I understand it's a comic book. Not "serious business" to begin with, and I understand that the Rebirth Superman has taken the line in a lighter cheesier direction, but this whole thing to me gets to a point where it's hard to engage past the point of "Oh, that wacky Superman and his wacky son and the wacky weirdo things that happen to them". A lot of it seems like kitsch nostalgia now. It's not just that it's not for mature audiences or that there is a son and whatever, or that some storylines are light-hearted, the serious storylines have jokes at the end, basically. It's like the wackiest more over the top ridiculous parts of the Silver Age are back.

I think eventually people will get sick of it. At least, I hope they do. Even *if* in some people's minds the New52 was too edgy and serious and mature and whatever (I didn't feel it was, but obviously some people did), this is overcompensation. It's the whole opposite pole and opposite extreme.

Spectacular Member

Anyone else feel like the writers of Superman and Action have been READING this forum?? Wow and Damn!! This was EXACTLY what I hoped for but felt would not happen MXY!!! I mean wow! I am beside myself with happiness. This issue was worth every cent and then some. Now I hope it has a good ending and Mxy doesn't end up a hated figure. I mean we all understand WHY he feels betrayed, Right?

4. I will say that I sort of liked the connecting landscape of Superman flying across Metropolis at the top of page 1 of the story.

5. Is it just me, or does this cover art only barely make sense in light of now knowing the story? I mean, it suggests Mystery Clark is this very dark force, and really he turns out to be a merry prankster.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    man this issue was really good, I just wish I wasn't such a wimp and looked at spoilers. I really hope Oz plays a bigger role in the backhalf of the event though. Right now I'm ok with this being a mostly Mxy story, but I want some answers, or at least some intriguing hints about Oz.
    yeah me too but if the last two issues move at the same pace that these first two did. Im not expecting much. And while this story has been good so far, it hasn't been the huge megavent some on here predicted.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying