Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Default Magneto joining hydra????

Also is hydra a nazi organization or something more? I ask this because even having read many captain america comics in the last year I'm still quite confused is hydra a nazi organization or not? Oh and please read the article.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...-nick-spencer/

Fantastic Member

It says in the very article you linked that Hydra facist organization, but not a necessarily a Nazi one.

Niffleheim

This isn't a leap He is a supremacist.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

they made a point of differentiating themselves from the old Hydra; not racists. Taskmaster and Ant-Man (the jerky one) were the first recruits.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

He'd probably approve of Cap getting rid of (killing?) the Red Skull, but I'll be surprised if he's actually joining HYDRA and it's not just a 'villain variant cover.'

it doesn't really fit with his post-ivx status quo where he's mentoring the O5 or whatever. Not to mention Kingpin is appearing on a later cover but I can't see that working with what his series is doing.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 03-06-2017 at 02:19 PM.

I'm so excited for this. Bendis is the anti-me; taste-wise. but, so far, Nick Spencer hasn't done anything that I didn't love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I'll be surprised if he's actually joining HYDRA and it's not just a 'villain variant cover.'
    remember Dark Reign? remember Norman Osborn inviting Emma Frost and Namor to the table; out of nowhere? remember Magneto using that machine on Steve Rogers that ultimately determine that he was free of bigotry? is this that weird?

?????

Isn't this just a variant cover?? Just like how there are "Hydra Heroes" variants. Why are people looking so deep into this?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    remember Dark Reign? remember Norman Osborn inviting Emma Frost and Namor to the table; out of nowhere? remember Magneto using that machine on Steve Rogers that ultimately determine that he was free of bigotry? is this that weird?
    for starters, HYDRA!Cap sounded anti-mutant in his monologue at the end of the issue, and it looks like his future vision had mutants in detention camps.

And while Fraction dealt with Emma and Namor joining the Cabal in Uncanny X-Men, I can't see this fitting in with Bunn's plans for X-Men Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    ?????

Isn't this just a variant cover?? Just like how there are "Hydra Heroes" variants. Why are people looking so deep into this?
    Now we get the Villains Of Hydra variant covers for the same issues by Dan Mora.

“Hydra’s secret weapons in the war against the super heroes.”

It's probably just a cover. But it's an offensive cover that should be pulled.

Regardless of what's going on in the story, optics matter. Most readers associate Hydra with Nazism. You can argue all you want about whether that's fair or accurate or whatever, but it doesn't change the reality: For most people, Hydra = Nazis. So an image that shows Magneto siding with Hydra? That's a cover showing a Holocaust survivor siding with Nazis. That's how it'll read to a lot of people. That's how it's already read to a lot of people.

So, yeah. It was a mistake to put out that cover. It never should have been done. And it should be pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    for starters, HYDRA!Cap sounded anti-mutant in his monologue at the end of the issue, and it looks like his future vision had mutants in detention camps.

And while Fraction dealt with Emma and Namor joining the Cabal in Uncanny X-Men, I can't see this fitting in with Bunn's plans for X-Men Blue.
    Magneto doesn't know about the detention centers. maybe he's being played (Steve did orchestrate the deaths of Banner and a lot of other bad stuff in the most recent Civil War). btw, who said those were mutants? they could easily be Inhumans.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 03-06-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe there should be a dedicated thread just to blow-ups over variant covers that most people will never see. Between this, Batgirl, Scott Campbell's Riri...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It's probably just a cover. But it's an offensive cover that should be pulled.

Regardless of what's going on in the story, optics matter. Most readers associate Hydra with Nazism. You can argue all you want about whether that's fair or accurate or whatever, but it doesn't change the reality: For most people, Hydra = Nazis. So an image that shows Magneto siding with Hydra? That's a cover showing a Holocaust survivor siding with Nazis. That's how it'll read to a lot of people. That's how it's already read to a lot of people.

So, yeah. It was a mistake to put out that cover. It never should have been done. And it should be pulled.
    I think that gives veto power to any person who chooses to claim offense or even claim that other people might, theoretically, claim offense.

Though one of the reasons this often blows up with variant covers is because many more people see them online than will ever buy them, so there's no way for the market to really make it clear what readers think, as a group. Presumably sales told Marvel that people offended over the "Cap is HYDRA" storyline did not speak for the majority. I admit that doesn't work so well for variants.
    Last edited by gurkle; 03-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Magneto doesn't know about the detention centers. maybe he's being played (Steve did orchestrate the deaths of Banner and a lot of other bad stuff in the most recent Civil War).
    I mean, Secret Empire is supposed to be about Cap coming out into the open, I don't know how much of an act he's going to be putting on once everyone knows he's Hydra.

And depending on what Cap does (like killing the Red Skull), I could see Magneto maybe willing to hear him out. But I don't think Spencer would really want to spend the time needed with Magneto to make his joining believable when he has all these other characters to focus on. Furthermore, if Magneto were to join, that'd be something pretty big that the x titles would have to deal with it, yet none of the x-books are tie-ins and they're just starting to set up the new status quo.

If you actually read the article they say nothing about Magneto joining them in the story, or even say its a rumour. The whole article was just twitter reaction to the variant with a clickbaity title.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.