Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I don't find his identity as such (sorry for that phrase; it's overused, but it fits) to be highly intriguing. I find what they're going to do with him very intriguing.

There are infinite possibilities, but a random reveal would be very unsatisfying. What role this guy will play has a lot of exciting potential if he's Ozymandius or if he's not.

I can't say I know if people have mentioned this or not…*I'm sure there's been a lot of great discussion… but the presumptive postscript to Watchmen is that Veidt's plan did not work… the final scene with the radical right wing newspaper deciding to publish Rorschach's notes was delivered with great fanfare, and the implication is that Veidt's huge, civilization-saving secret was going to be blown. Veidt himself believed that the result would be a nuclear war.

Someone jumping in now could write around that easily; one speech balloon could explain it away, which would be weak. I think if they stick to the spirit of Watchmen by any standard, we're going to find out that Veidt saw his dream crumble, the civilization ended in nuclear war, and then he jumped universes for some sort of Plan B, which is either his own vision of changing the universe, or else Dr. Manhattan is taking the initiative and Veidt is trying to stop him.

I find all of these possibilities interesting. If they just surprise us with some random identity reveal, however…*well, maybe they'll do something good with that idea, too, but the name and the face itself…*not automatically interesting, IMO.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    I think if they stick to the spirit of Watchmen by standard, we're going to find out that Veidt saw his dream crumble, the civilization ended in nuclear war, and then he jumped universes for some sort of Plan B, which is either his own vision of changing the universe, or else Dr. Manhattan is taking the initiative and Veidt is trying to stop him.
    This is a pretty good theory, in fact, i would be totally sold if that is what happens.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

It's Batman. I promise.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

I still care. I still want to see where the story goes and what his role is in the whole New 52/Rebirth merger. However, I feel like at this point, the story really is starting to drag. I get what Jurgans is doing. He's playing the long game with Mr. Oz. He's setting something up for the big #1000 issue, which is getting closer every month. But at some point, the story just drags too much and it's hard to stay invested.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member

Oz has to be ozymandias well atleast at this point, I'm still interested in the rebirth/watchmen story and im excited about how the story will deepen with superman reborn and 'the Button' and while i see the superboy prime coincidence with the eye, the technology oz used to teleport Tim, doomsday, prophecy and the recent reveal from action #975 sway me to ozymandias, other than he's obsession with superman his intentions are still unclear.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I care as far as wanting a satisfying answer to who he is and how it connects the last several years worth of stories, but frankly otherwise I'm enjoying the ride until then.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I keep reading,as of late, that Oz might be Vyndktvx ..He is capable of imprisoning Mxzy..Thoughts?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W8IN4KAL-EL View Post
    I keep reading,as of late, that Oz might be Vyndktvx ..He is capable of imprisoning Mxzy..Thoughts?
    I've seen that theory...And there is some merit, especially as whomever Oz is was able to trap a fifth Dimensional being, but I don't see WHY Vyndktvx would hide his identity from Mxy. He'd want Mxy to know given their bitter history.

It's been established by Joker being able to steal Mxy's powers way back in the Emperor Joker event that a human could gain those abilities. Who is to Say Ozmandys wasn't able to trick Vyndktvx out of his abilities? Maybe Oz is able to do what he seems to be capable of because he stole Vyns powers.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I still care. I still want to see where the story goes and what his role is in the whole New 52/Rebirth merger. However, I feel like at this point, the story really is starting to drag. I get what Jurgans is doing. He's playing the long game with Mr. Oz. He's setting something up for the big #1000 issue, which is getting closer every month. But at some point, the story just drags too much and it's hard to stay invested.
    Action #1000 comes out in late March, 2018. We're supposed to find out who Oz is in Superman Reborn: Aftermath, which is next month.

Mr. Oz is Frank Stallone.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Astonishing Member

Not really, but at the same time I think I'd be disappointed if it turns out to be Veidt at this point.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

DC Comics Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    I don't find his identity as such (sorry for that phrase; it's overused, but it fits) to be highly intriguing. I find what they're going to do with him very intriguing.

There are infinite possibilities, but a random reveal would be very unsatisfying. What role this guy will play has a lot of exciting potential if he's Ozymandius or if he's not.

I can't say I know if people have mentioned this or not…*I'm sure there's been a lot of great discussion… but the presumptive postscript to Watchmen is that Veidt's plan did not work… the final scene with the radical right wing newspaper deciding to publish Rorschach's notes was delivered with great fanfare, and the implication is that Veidt's huge, civilization-saving secret was going to be blown. Veidt himself believed that the result would be a nuclear war.

Someone jumping in now could write around that easily; one speech balloon could explain it away, which would be weak. I think if they stick to the spirit of Watchmen by any standard, we're going to find out that Veidt saw his dream crumble, the civilization ended in nuclear war, and then he jumped universes for some sort of Plan B, which is either his own vision of changing the universe, or else Dr. Manhattan is taking the initiative and Veidt is trying to stop him.

I find all of these possibilities interesting. If they just surprise us with some random identity reveal, however…*well, maybe they'll do something good with that idea, too, but the name and the face itself…*not automatically interesting, IMO.

Do you not think there is a possibility that Veidt is the bad guy AGAIN and in this case it is seemingly true that Manhattan is being framed as the bad guy up to this point? With Watchmen somewhat leaving the two at odds it makes me think that Manhattan may be trying to whatever possible to restore the timeline and it is OZ that is stopping him. Perhaps that is just the writer in me pushing out what I would do if I were writing this story and making a theory out of it but yeah. Would love to hear your thoughts on that.

No, I really don't. It's drug on way too long, and, like the Mystery Clark Kent thing, is probably not going to have a payoff I'm satisfied with. I'm very frustrated with the Rebirth creative direction in a zillion different ways. I'm going to hang on for the end of the Reborn arc because spoilers:
    My favorite character, New52 Superman, is on the alternate cover for one, and the main cover for the other
    end of spoilers, but if it's not a good story and we don't come out of it with a new status quo that seems better, I'll look for something else to read for a while. I love Superman, so I'll probably come back to it and grab the back issues eventually if I take a break, but I'm burnt out on what they are doing. Of course, were New52 Superman to come back full-time, I am in full-time. A merger situation really depends on what the status quo is coming out of it.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-09-2017 at 05:06 PM.

I don't care now, but I gotta be honest, I didn't even really care at the start either. All my attention was focused on finding things to like about the "new" Superman so Mr. Oz was a really low priority on my Superman-comic priority list. He never really picked up and became interesting to me either.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    Do you not think there is a possibility that Veidt is the bad guy AGAIN and in this case it is seemingly true that Manhattan is being framed as the bad guy up to this point? With Watchmen somewhat leaving the two at odds it makes me think that Manhattan may be trying to whatever possible to restore the timeline and it is OZ that is stopping him. Perhaps that is just the writer in me pushing out what I would do if I were writing this story and making a theory out of it but yeah. Would love to hear your thoughts on that.
    There are so many possibilities. If Veidt and Manhattan are both in the story, then it could be both of them working at cross purposes, or either of them manipulating the other. This might even be tweaked with a plot twist after the big story starts unfolding.

As Watchmen ends, Manhattan is leaving his world to -- perhaps -- go create life somewhere. This DCU timeline could be his work from the beginning. But if so, why would Veidt particularly care in a Multiverse full of worlds?

A major clue left dangling is the relationship between Mr. Oz and the mysterious squad that brought Doomsday with them in the first place. They were not Mr. Oz's people, presumably, because when he captured Doomsday, he noted how he "finally" had managed to capture him. So it makes it seem like that group was affiliated with someone with technological resources but not Dr. Manhattan's powers. Nite Owl?

It's been over six months since I wrote this:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2016/08/t...ntagonist.html

Time to revisit the clues from that month…