Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not sure Iron Fist is necessarily an example of white washing. Though I get some wanted the Iron Fist role to be played by an asian, the character was always caucasian.

Though I suppose Davos might have sort of been white washed, with an indian playing an asian role.
    Ahem...Indians are Asians too.

Ultimate Member

Ok..I'm up to episode 7 and my major problem with this show is the fight scenes. I'm watching "Into the Badlands" as well and the difference between the two series' fight scenes is night and day. Sunny is a silent, competent bad ass.

Finn Jones as Iron Fist just isn't bad ass. He's not a bad actor or anything but I think the way the series was written is problematic. The first part of the series was a bit of a slog and extremely dialogue heavy...unnecessarily so I might add.

It's definitely not as bad as some critics described but it's definitely weaker than Marvel's other Netflix series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/26/iron-fis...-whitewashing/

>“It was a hard decision to make to join the show. Not because of the material or anything,” Henwick tells Shirley Li during an appearance on Entertainment Weekly: The Show. “But I’m part of the Asian community. I’m Asian. I’m an actor. If anyone understands the conversation, it’s me. I’ve lived and breathed it.”
    This is why people hate news media.

They started this BS out of nowhere and now it's discusses as an actual talking point.
    The dude is white, has always been white, there's no whitewashing anything.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ok..I'm up to episode 7 and my major problem with this show is the fight scenes. I'm watching "Into the Badlands" as well and the difference between the two series' fight scenes is night and day. Sunny is a silent, competent bad ass.

Finn Jones as Iron Fist just isn't bad ass. He's not a bad actor or anything but I think the way the series was written is problematic. The first part of the series was a bit of a slog and extremely dialogue heavy...unnecessarily so I might add.

It's definitely not as bad as some critics described but it's definitely weaker than Marvel's other Netflix series.
    Finn Jones has this really bad streak of luck of getting cast as badass individuals and then the writers gutting the character leaving him with little to do.

Loras is the best swordsman in Game of Thrones, never see him fight once. He gets character depth and development in the books, they lead Finn on by getting him to screen test with one of those pivotal scenes and then the entire plot arc is cut from the actual show.

Danny is walked back to be a n00b (despite having left NYC age 10), and any interesting character moments are stripped away and replaced with emotional underdevelopment problems. Even his position as Iron Fist is walked back several paces compared to the source material so the show can justify lesser action and less CGI glowing fists.

It's slightly annoying that no one at Marvel saw these bad elements in the script and wanted them correct, or hired a decent action editor to improve the fights or got more funding to make the fights actually stand out.

Just read that finn had 3weeks to prep and was learning fight chorepgraphy 15mins b4 the filmed. So his lck of range is on him, but looking soft and having bad fight scenes is on marvel/netflix. They waited too long to start production and then.rushed it. Into the badlands had the actors training for like half a year before filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Just read that finn had 3weeks to prep and was learning fight chorepgraphy 15mins b4 the filmed. So his lck of range is on him, but looking soft and having bad fight scenes is on marvel/netflix. They waited too long to start production and then.rushed it. Into the badlands had the actors training for like half a year before filming.
    An actor is only as good as what he has to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    An actor is only as good as what he has to work with.
    Thats not true, good actors can elevate shit material. But that doesnt matter cause it was just him, he was laughable when he got upset. Even if he was trying to act like.a repressed 10year old, its still bad. He was just fine when he was happy hippie danny but when hed get pissed the acting got bad. I cant watch him storm out that diner in episode 3 i think it is, without laughing my ass off. Soooo feminine and akward. With better material he may be better but hes a passable actor at best, which is weird since these shows have gone for good actors. Colter nd cox can hold theyre own with De'Onfario, Mehershal ali and bernthall. I dont see Finn Jones doing that, they need to tee him up for defenders because he was being showed up by Rasario every time they acted off each other, defenders hes gonna be surrounded by actors of that quality. Maybe that will make him raise.his game who knows. The rock is proof ppl can get drastically better rather quickly. But.then again the rock has more charisma is one dimple then finn

Thats not true, good actors can elevate shit material. But that doesnt matter cause it was just him, he was laughable when he got upset. Even if he was trying to act like.a repressed 10year old, its still bad. He was just fine when he was happy hippie danny but when hed get pissed the acting got bad. I cant watch him storm out that diner in episode 3 i think it is, without laughing my ass off. Soooo feminine and akward. With better material he may be better but hes a passable actor at best, which is weird since these shows have gone for good actors. Colter nd cox can hold theyre own with De'Onfario, Mehershal ali and bernthall. I dont see Finn Jones doing that, they need to tee him up for defenders because he was being showed up by Rasario every time they acted off each other, defenders hes gonna be surrounded by actors of that quality. Maybe that will make him raise.his game who knows. The rock is proof ppl can get drastically better rather quickly. But.then again the rock has more charisma is one dimple then finn
    Well that answers a lot of questions.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/26/iron-fis...-whitewashing/

>“It was a hard decision to make to join the show. Not because of the material or anything,” Henwick tells Shirley Li during an appearance on Entertainment Weekly: The Show. “But I’m part of the Asian community. I’m Asian. I’m an actor. If anyone understands the conversation, it’s me. I’ve lived and breathed it.”
    As I'm sure others have mentioned in this thread, at least as far as this show was concerned, the issue was more cultural appropriation and the whole white savior trope. I can only speak for myself as an Asian man, but had the show been better, those two things would've been relatively easy to get over. I did it with Dr. Strange with The Ancient One. And despite the fact that DD more or less paints the picture that 'evil ninjas = Asian, non-evil ninjas = everything but Asian,' I still greatly enjoyed that show. Had the material delivered, I think the criticisms regarding race would've fallen by the wayside just like they did with Dr. Strange.

Ultimate Member

Good actors can elevate shit, but they need wiggle room, and Finn never had that.

Someone earlier in the thread observed that Danny seemed to want the privileges of something (Iron Fist, returning to Rand) but not the responsibilities and I think that's a fair (but unfortunate) summary. Frankly, I felt far too much sympathy for Joy being willing to kill Danny.

A few tweaks could have easily saved it, IMO. Have the monks send Danny out to find the Hand, or have Danny attacked at the pass, and barely survive. But instead, Danny just comes off as some entitled jerk bubbling through the story, with little to no humor whatsoever.

Hard to elevate that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Good actors can elevate shit, but they need wiggle room, and Finn never had that.

Someone earlier in the thread observed that Danny seemed to want the privileges of something (Iron Fist, returning to Rand) but not the responsibilities and I think that's a fair (but unfortunate) summary. Frankly, I felt far too much sympathy for Joy being willing to kill Danny.

A few tweaks could have easily saved it, IMO. Have the monks send Danny out to find the Hand, or have Danny attacked at the pass, and barely survive. But instead, Danny just comes off as some entitled jerk bubbling through the story, with little to no humor whatsoever.

Hard to elevate that.
    But most the problems i have with him were his acting not his character. You know what maybe it was this whole repressed 10year old thing, but he came off as laughable bad when hes got mad or upset. If it was just bad dialogue id be ok blaming script. But it was his emoting and physical acting. They rushed into filming, maybe they rushed through it aswell. Maybe Finn didnt get many takes who knows.

Someone like Denzel for example, no matter how bad the movie hes in is hes never bad. Because hes such a good actor he can elevate the material, the movie and other characters might be awful but he wont be. That all i meant by that, Finns never gonna be that good so it doesnt really apply to him. Was just making a point. Well Finns about to be stuck acting opposite Mike colter for maybe a long time, its gonna be sink or swim. Hopefully im wrong about him

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Well that answers a lot of questions.
    How is that? Even if Ironfist was gay he shouldnt come off as feminine and akward. Especially since they werent going for that in the show, Danny wasnt suppost to be feminine at all. That was just bad acting on Finns part,and bad directing on the directors part.

Rewatched some DD S2, and the fighting/action scenes are decidedly way more violent. The Iron Fist fight scenes are not, in fact they are so mild I would likely allow my young children to watch them. Perhaps this is why some critics have blasted the fight scenes (and the show in general) as "boring"?

I slogged through this show. I hate to say it, but Finn Jones has got to go! Nothing against him or the fact that he is white. In fact, I'd prefer Iron Fist remain white. I just want him re-cast. He has absolutely no charisma and no presence.

WOW this show was a drag to put myself through. I watched it all because I'm such a huge Marvel fan, but this show deserves all the bad reviews it has gotten. Please Marvel. Recast and get a new show runner, because this was an awful first season.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Eh you both are wrong, there is so many ways it can be messed up, Actor, writer, director. Literally if you switched the name of Jesse Eisenbergs character from BvS from Lex Luthor to say the Riddler, it changes the movie and the way he played him drastically. The writing was good but not for the character that they intended him to be and Jesse's acting was on point with how the character was written.

As for this series in general though what killed it the most for me was the action. Some series can start off with bad acting characters getting into roles and all that. But this show out of all the Marvel netflix shows and even Tv shows was supposed to be about one of the most skilled Martial Artists in Marvel comics and i felt like it fell flat completely. Honestly the best part of the show was Jessica Henwick/Colleen Wing. She can act most of her fight scenes came off good and 'dat ass'. It was a seriously rushed show they got into their whole we need to rush this for combined show so we rush it in now. And honestly at times the show felt like Arrow Season 1 with so many of its elements. They seemed to suffer from DC's DCEU problem with rushing things instead of going slower and planning things out.